Riots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riots

I live in a suburb of Minneapolis/St. Paul. The Twin Cities have experienced violent rioting and arson over the past two days in response to the death of George Floyd while in police custody. The neighborhood where I grew up was the epicenter of today's riots; I have shopped and dined in some of the buildings that are now burned down. I thought I was safe here in the 'burbs, but I just learned that even my local stores have closed and erected barricades in anticipation of violence. Yikes. And I have to drive into Minneapolis every day to go to work. As if COVID-19 wasn't scary enough...

How scary! What's the world coming to these days?? Stay safe.

Comment

It sickens me. It sickens me that a policeman would act in the manner he did. It sickens me that the other policemen would stand by and let him do what he did. It sickens me that not just people from Minnesota, but from California, Colorado, etc are doing what they are doing.

None of it is right.
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Monique
        Monique commented
        Editing a comment
        Well said.

• auntstuff
        auntstuff commented
        Editing a comment
        It should ALSO sicken you that criminals make that possible.

Unfortunately it has become a far too typical reaction ... and really sad that it has been the norm to expect it to happen.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that this happened in the neighborhood you grew up in....I agree with the other commenter here, that must be really scary!
        To be honest. I don't think any of us are safe from things like this.
        What a shame. Stay Safe!
        child kneeling.jpg
        Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
        http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

So terribly sad to see such destruction. Protest but don't do so much damage. Stay safe.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• auntstuff
            auntstuff commented
            Editing a comment
            We USED to protest with NO damage....

I've been following this story on the news. Very tragic. I hope that policeman is charged with murder & held accountable. There's no excuse for the rioting, setting fires, & property damage. Stay safe.

Comment

Lifting prayers for peace and safety. These are crazy times we live in.

Time has passed and memories fade, but I don't remember any of this nonsense of burning and looting of other peoples properties during the riots of the late 60s. Stealing and destroying property is wrong, selfish and does nothing to improve conditions. I just don't understand. I know the media makes their living on sensationalizing the news, but it makes me question where everyone's moral compass is pointing.

Be safe, MSN.
            Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
            ― Maya Angelou

Comment

• Teen
              Teen commented
              Editing a comment
              The LA riots were much like what is going on. Makes no sense to destroy their own neighborhoods.

There is no moral compass in our society. It's taken a slow, steady, process to normalize sin.

this is so crazy all the way around. Sad for the families impacted and the businesses. hoping it will end soon with no more harm and destruction. stay safe MSN and all those who are around these areas.

Comment

Originally posted by KPH View Post

Time has passed and memories fade, but I don't remember any of this nonsense of burning and looting of other peoples properties during the riots of the late 60s. Stealing and destroying property is wrong, selfish and does nothing to improve conditions. I just don't understand. I know the media makes their living on sensationalizing the news, but it makes me question where everyone's moral compass is pointing.

Be safe, MSN.
              I remember the Watts riots https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_riots
              and Detroit riots //www.history.com/topics/1960s/1967-detroit-riots

Comment

It is sad, all of it.

Right now the saddest thing is the people who are rioting and burning down buildings are no better than the police officers who killed that young man. How can they be the judge of anything if their response is no better. This angers me of course, but I am not going to go out and burn down buildings and hurt others.

Yes, be mad, yes, protest, but do it safely and in respect of others. Show them we are better than what these officers did.
                Karen
                Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

• bubba
                  bubba commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It impressed me when an older black man went down there and told off a bunch of the rioters and looters. It stopped all but two of them in their tracks.

I really have no idea what they hope to accomplish. When I sit here and think of all the policemen that have also been senselessly murdered, you see nothing like this happening.

• Kgrammiecaz
                  Kgrammiecaz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wish those who want to protest/prayer peacefully could do so!

One of the four policemen was arrested today and charged with 3rd degree murder. No word yet on the other three. However, the protesters are very upset that the murder charges weren't greater than 3rd degree. The autopsy results released this afternoon do not support traumatic asphyxiation, and indicate that the likely cause of death is a combination of physical restraint, underlying health conditions, and "potential intoxicants in his system." There is great outrage that Mr. Floyd is being blamed for his own death. As a result, I expect more rioting tonight. The National Guard is on the scene, though, and I am hopeful that they will be able to restore order soon.

Both Minneapolis and St. Paul have implemented a curfew to keep people off the streets. This is good, but it may drive the protests to the 'burbs. Many of the protesters aren't local; they flooded in from all parts of the country. Just what we needed in our battle against the corona virus -- tons of people potentially importing the virus, in close proximity, shouting, and often not wearing masks. Expect a spike in COVID-19 infections in the next couple of weeks. And then they'll bring it back to wherever they came from, or to wherever they go next. Sigh.

Comment

• bubba
                  bubba commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would say at least 50% of the rioters are not local. They come from all over to take advantage of situations like this. It has happened up in Seattle many times, just not to this extent.

• MSN
                  MSN commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Although there were many protesters shouting, the first act of property destruction that I am aware of was a white man in full tactical gear, including a gas mask and gloves, and carrying an umbrella to protect against rubber bullets. There is video of him calmly smashing a hammer through every window of an Auto Zone store. A black protester tried to stop him, but he just sauntered off. Once the protesters saw the broken glass, "mob mentality" kicked in and other businesses were stormed. I simply cannot fathom WHY people instigate violence.

• Teen
                  Teen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bubba...I agree! Like Ferguson, the many of the trouble makers were out of towners.

The burning of Atlanta is being reinacted now. Horrible... God's courtroom will be a busy place soon.
                "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by KPH View Post

Be safe, MSN.
                  Guess you don't remember the Watts Riots in 65, or the Detroit riots in 67...or what was referred to as the Long, hot summer of 1967 refers to the 159 race riots that erupted across the United States in 1967.
                  Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                  sigpic

Comment

• KPH
                    KPH commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Guess my parents were better at shielding me than I remember.

• KPH
                    KPH commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Guess my parents were better at shielding me than I remember.

• Bubby
                    Bubby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My daughter was born during the Watts riots (Southern California) in August 1965. I had to ride the last leg of the trip to the hospital in a police car because we weren’t allowed to cross the Vincent Thomas Bridge in our vehicle. It was a summer of terrible unrest and violence. Things have been brewing all these years.

I was too young for 67, but the Rodney King riot was pretty bad.
                  "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Working...
                  X