It's Miller-Moth Time -- Today's Mishap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Miller-Moth Time -- Today's Mishap

It's that time of year again -- the annual miller-moth migration. Every year about this time, the miller-moths show up in Colorado during their migration from Kansas & near by states. They are headed to the mountains & cooler temps., feasting on nectar en route. They start out as cut worms, but become moths in their adult form. They are not harmful, but just a nuisance. They're attracted to the light & will sneak into the house & garage. In case you are interested in seeing a pic & reading about them, this web site was very informative:
    https://extensioncoloradostateedu/to...r-moths-5-597/ or just search for miller moth migration.

So... to my mishap this a.m. We have a layer of clear plastic on the inside of our bathroom window (over the tub) which is held on by magnetic strips on all 4 sides. It provides an extra "storm window". I'm sitting in the tub this a.m. when I felt something flutter past my head. Sure enough, there's a moth at the window. I whacked at it with my wash cloth to knock it down. In the process, I knocked loose one of the magnetic strips which fell into the tub & the plastic sheet fell down, too. So I had to remove the plastic & 3 of the strips. I knocked the moth into the water & was able to scoop it up in a plastic glass & flush it down the toilet. Since the weather is warmer, I won't worry about putting up the plastic right away. It needs its annual cleaning, & I need to wash the curtain. So I guess that was my excitement for the day. lol

The moths started showing up within the past week. We can expect to see them around 2-4 weeks, depending on the weather. If the temps. got hot, they will move on to higher elevations sooner. Supposedly, this is expected to be worse than usual season for them. The last 4 years haven't been bad. I keep a fly swatter at the ready as well as the shop vacuum. If they land on the curtains, they sometimes leave a brown spot of poop.

OMG...we just got our bought of them. Terrible. The man left his windows cracked at I kid you not 40 flew out while we were driving. Finally they have moved on but yes a week of those things was enough for me!

Comment

Lol...so much for a relaxing soak in the tub...
      "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Hope those uninvited guests leave quickly! Joy, your story reminds me of a time when I had just gotten my then 4-year-old out of the tub and wrapped him in a towel. There was a large black fly buzzing around in the bathroom which lighted on the light fixture over the sink. Without thinking, I grabbed the nearest hand towel and whacked the intruder - and broke both the light fixture and the bulb behind it. Showered my little man with glass shards. Miraculously, he didn't get a scratch on him, and he stood stock-still until his older brother, who came running when I started to yell, was able to pick him up and get him into his pajamas while I cleaned up the mess.

Comment

Yep. we have the moths here too. Been killing them for a week now. My sister's cat is getting her exercise catching them when one gets in their house.
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

You have moths, we have black flies.
            Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• JCY
              JCY commented
              Editing a comment
              Monique ~ You can keep the black flies. I can cope with the moths. It's temporary.

One plague we do not have here in Alabama. 😆 I can imagine the circus this morning, funny but not funny.🙄

Comment

When I was a kid, we used to catch miller moths and feed them to our pet hamsters. The little buggers loved the treat.

Comment

Working...
              X