Went to Urgent Care for the Sliver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to Urgent Care for the Sliver

Back again ~ My plans for the day changed when I decided it was more important to get that sliver out than run errands. My finger was getting more sore, red, swollen, etc. I could see the dark sliver under my nail. (The wood was stained walnut color.) So I did some calling around & ended up going to an urgent care just a few blocks from my house. They would accept Medicare & my supplement. I didn't have the right instruments at home to cut that nail down the side to expose the sliver. Between the NP & me -- she let me do the clipping -- and she used the tweezers to get a good sized sliver out, plus 2 tiny ones. She ordered an antibiotic but said not to use it unless I needed it. I'm supposed to soak it 4 times a day. I already feel pain relief & the redness has diminished. I'm sure it will take a few days to heal, but I'm certainly feeling more optimistic. I didn't want to let it go over the long holiday week end.

The assistant at the urgent care who took my vitals, etc. asked if I had high B/P. (I haven't.) My B/P was higher than usual, so she checked it in both arms with the machine, then manually, which was better. Maybe I need to self monitor my B/P at home for a while to see what it's doing. I usually get it checked only at the dr.'s office, when it's been okay. Both my mom & sister had hypertension; both died from a stroke.

I was able to complete my errands after the urgent care treatment & lunch at home. When I was at Walmart, I bought some pointy nail clippers that will help in case of a future problem.

I've never heard of the bread & milk soak. DH looked up in a couple of our medical books & learned that slippery elm is supposed to help, but I hadn't tried that yet. We have that on hand. DH used to take it for his stomach. It's amazing how well some of the old remedies worked.

While I was gone today, DH fixed the railing with an overlay of cardboard which is custom fit to the wood. It covers that area where I got the sliver. So we shouldn't be having any problems. DS may be able to sand that area & re-stain it. I'll add it to his to-do list. He offered to take a look at it.

Well, hopefully my finger now is on the mend. It's almost time to soak it again.
    Last edited by JCY; May 23rd, 2020, 07:46 PM.

Judy, i'my glad you took care of that today. Sounds like it could have gotten uglier very fast.

Comment

Sounds awful. Glad you got that taken care of before it got more serious.
      Carlie

Comment

Joy isn't it incredible how a sliver can be so painful and also it's so frustrating when you can see it but not get it out?! Good thinking to get it taken care if before the holiday weekend. Now be good to yourself for a few days, no gardening or chopping veggies esp onions that will sting. I guess sewing might be on the approved list though! Take care.

Comment

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          I have to do the veg. prep. later today for making chicken soup tomorrow. I'll wear a glove.

Joy, I am so glad you got it out. I know when I get one under the nail it sometimes takes days to get it out. Neverr thought of going to an urgent care. Good reminder. Glad Med. care and supplement cover things like that
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

Joy, I'm glad you got the remains of the splinter out! Keep an eye out on your BP.
          Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
          ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Joy, Glad you were able to get the splinter out and hope it feels better soon.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post

The assistant at the urgent care who took my vitals, etc. asked if I had high B/P. (I haven't.) My B/P was higher than usual, so she checked it in both arms with the machine, then manually, which was better. Maybe I need to self monitor my B/P at home for a while to see what it's doing. I usually get it checked only at the dr.'s office, when it's been okay. Both my mom & sister had hypertension; both died from a stroke.
              It is no wonder your BP was elevated, you were in quite a stressful situation. Hopefully it will settle back to normal now that your finger is on the mend.

Comment

• toggpine
                toggpine commented
                Editing a comment
                I was also thinking that the trip to urgent care could be the reason for the elevated BP.
                You had pain & were worried about infection. I'd have been worried about going into the urgent care facility. The cure for the problem could also cause a rise in BP, as more pain is anticipated.
                Heck, a trip to the regular Dr office can elevate my BP, especially if I'm expecting injections!
            Working...
            X