X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's world Bee day! 🐝

1-Honey-Bee-001.png

https://allindiaroundup.com/general/...-and-facebook/

We need to look after these important little creatures!

"People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

I have an acre of clover, bordered by honeysuckle all in bloom for my happy honeybees and bumblebees.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

We have a bee keeper who places his bee boxes in the hills behind my property...right at the edge of our property. They spend a lot of time at my house in my flowers...
      "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

You're right.....I used to have Lilac Bushes in our 1st home in the front yard & also in the backyard. Problem was, those "important" little creatures kept flying in the house!!
        I love flowers. I might not like bees or any other insect that stings....but Lorie, your right, they are important to our environment.
        So, we moved the bushes out close to our lot line....and that way, the neighbor and I BOTH enjoyed them!!
        When we moved to the home I currently live in, we transplanted some Lilac Bushes in the back yard. My Grandma loved Lilacs, my mom loved Lily Of The Valley's and Peony's. My dad loved Roses, Tiger Lilly's and Black-Eyed Susan's. Over the years I have managed to have a great amount of all these flowers in my yard.
        About the only flowers I don't have in my own yard is another fav of my mom's Gladiolias. While Glads are pretty,I really haven't planted them in my yard.

The last few years I have been able to transplant the flowers to each of their graves and it looks so nice knowing that I was able to transplant the flowers my parents & grandparents enjoyed years ago!
        Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
        http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

I know bees are important but I've always been afraid of them. I was stung when I was about 3. Remember it well. I was swinging next door to my grandparents house (across the street from mine). I went into my grandparents' house (they were not home) and took a banana. Went back to swinging while eating the banana and a bee stung me. I told my mom that the bee stung me because I stole a banana from grandpa and grandma. I used to run anytime I've been around them but with my husbands help I've been able to tone that down to pretty calming waiting for them to leave. Since we retired we have been working on the landscaping and have many flowers but nothing is blooming yet except the gerbera daisies and alyssum I just planted and some hanging baskets. We have a gorgeous hibiscus that can weather the -30 temps, huge maroon-colored flowers but that has not even begun to peak out of the ground yet, everblooming daylilies, phlox, roses. We have some impatiens on the way as well as a couple more lilac bushes and hydrangeas.

Redcaboose1717 my dad loved Gladiolias as well. We tried them but for some reason couldn't get them to bloom much. My mom's favorite was Pansy and we planted some this year in a whiskey barrel. Grandma's was roses and we have been trying different types for a while as nothing was blooming. Finally purchased some and they have been doing well now for several years. My parents' home is across they street from us now and it has a line of lilac along with edge of the back. I think there are about 10 bushes. They've been there probably 50 years. My sister who lives there is trimming them down but they are huge, probably 20 feet tall. I remember clearly when dad planted them. He went to a lady's house to service her water softener for his job and they were talking about the lilacs and she let him dig up some of the new growth.
          Carlie

Comment

I am struggling with wood bees. They are eating my deck. I had to have the area sprayed by a pest service. There are piles of fine saw dust under their holes.

Comment

Working...
            X