Good Morning Saturday! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Morning Saturday! :)

Good Morning, Everyone ~ It's hard to believe May already is half over. The year is going by so fast.

Yest. was a busy day. Had my ortho. dr. appt. at 10:15. He was pleased with my progress. He feels I'll need to do my home exercise program indefinitely. He himself does exercising on a daily basis, for ~1 hr. He's a firm believer is staying healthy with regular exercise. I asked him about my lower back; I have an old injury from working at the hosp. lifting a patient. He recommended home exercises for strengthening that area, but wanted to make sure there were no obvious problems, so an x-ray was done. Spine curvature was good, a few bone spurs, but nothing to prevent me from exercising. So my next PT appt., I'll get exercises for a home program to help my back. Now to be disciplined to do the work.

I made a stop by our locally owned home business (not a big box store like Lowe's) to pick up the padded toilet seats I'd ordered last week. Also purchased a new mailbox. My son will install it for us. DH no longer feels capable of doing it.

I made a swing by Chick-fil-A to grab lunch. I knew it would be busy, being noon & a Friday, but that was the busiest I have ever seen it. Cars lined up a long ways--both lines. When I finally got to the window, my order still was being prepared, so I had to park & wait for them to bring it out. For my inconvenience, they gave me a coupon card.

After a quick lunch, I changed into my old clothes & headed out to spread the fertilizer. I wanted to get it down before the predicted afternoon rain shower. Walking over the uneven ground was hard on my joints. I had to stop several times to rest. Finally got 'er done! I'm glad that job is done. The rain didn't come until 6 p.m. when we had a thunderstorm. We're getting into that time of year.

In the eve. I worked ~1 hr. on the ugly quilt. I'm taking my time, pinning the edges before stitching, etc. I'm cutting only 4 blocks at a time to be more precise, plus I don't have a 60 mm rotary cutter to cut through multiple layers.

Today I'll be baking DH's spelt bread, so it's time to get on with my day.

Good morning Joy. I find it cool and damp this morning but it is supposed to be a lovely day. We shall see about that. I got into Ancestry last night and was up quite late. Free access this long weekend. Got into it again this morning. Had to get off or I would be on there all day. I will probably continue tonight though.

Bird feeders have been filled. I am not sure if Doug wants to go to town today or not. I would like to get some sunflower seeds for my birds, they don't like the smaller seed as well.

I have someone asking me if I would see her some fabric so she could make masks. She seems to be particular on what she wants. How do you pick fabric for someone else? Geez, I will stew on this for a day or so.

I was over at the neighbour's last night. Two had birthdays back to back, the other is in the fall, but all 3 got gifts of money as they are moving and I won't see the lad in the fall. The Dad's father passed away last week so I had a card for him. Found our her grandmother passed as well so I better get another card for her.

Not sure what the rest of my day will be like. My kitchen walls need to be washed but right now I am too cold to do. I wish it were warmer out so I could open the windows and get some fresh air in here. Maybe later today.

Have a great day everyone.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Dove
      Dove commented
      Editing a comment
      Long story here about Ancestry but I'll try to make it quick. Back when my mother was 20 yrs old, she had a baby boy. Not being married and not seeing the father ever again, she gave the baby up for adoption. My sister and I were not made aware of him until I was about 50 yrs old. Nothing else was said about him other than that. Around Nov or Dec 2017, my "new" brother contacted a cousin through Ancestry. I was thrilled! I had a big brother now! My mother was in serious physical and mental health so I decided not to tell her about him. I was afraid she couldn't handle it. She passed away in Jan 2018. It ends up that the family who adopted him lived only about 2 miles from where I grew up! Strictly coincidence. We haven't met in person yet- he lives in MA, I live in PA, and my sister is in SC. We had planned on going up to see him this summer but that's impossible right now. Hopefully we will all get together sometime soon.

• Momofmonsters5
      Momofmonsters5 commented
      Editing a comment
      I fell into that years ago where a friend wanted free fabric. Then she sent me fabric she wanted on the back of a quilt that she wanted me to fund the front and batting. Let alone quilted. I didn't do it. At the end of the day we've paid for our fabric. Even it's for a good deed they can buy their own fabric. It's totally different if you offer fabric inho. I don't fall for anyone reaching out for me to send them free fabric anymore, I learned my lesson. I do offer to do projects. I offered to make masks for my team and leaders. My SR VP asked me to make 7 I asked for shipping. She wanted to pay. I did 4 yesterday I'll finish today.

Good morning all!

It's a long weekend here in Canada. Nice and sunny and warm, so I guess lots of BBQ's will be fired up. We're still on lock-down, so I guess it'll be quiet, as gatherings are strongly discouraged.

Most of my perennials are up, so I'll be able to cultivate the soil around them and add compost and fertilizer. Would like to get that done today and tomorrow, as rain is forecast for Monday to give everything a good soaking.

Being able to garden (and to quilt, of course) makes all of this easier to bear.

Stay safe!

Comment

Good Morning Joy and those who follow.

I started a 30 day Yoga challenge at the beginning of the week. Day 5, today, was a short 18 minutes, but it really worked the hips and legs. I'm enjoying getting back into my practice. After I work out, I go take a hot bath and soak for a few minutes, then I'm ready for my day.

Gabby woke up early and nuzzled her way into Mike's bedroom. She came out when I got up so she could go out. I shut his door tight, now she's pouting that she can't go back. lol He'll be up soon, and she'll transfer to his recliner until he goes to work. He's on closing today and opening tomorrow.

Joy, it's a good idea to cut fewer blocks and work them up. I need to make a list of who I'm giving Ugly Christmas quilts to this year. I know I'll need to make them bigger for the guys, since they're all so tall. I'm having fun making them and seeing them come together.

Earlier this week I ordered CrioBru, it's roasted and ground cacao beans. You brew it like coffee but tastes like dark chocolate. I wanted to try it, so I added some to my coffee this morning when I made my coffee and left a little coffee out. My coffee was mellower and did have a slight chocolate flavor to it. I think I'll add more and use less coffee tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

Time to get busy once again. Have a great day.
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• SuzyQue
        SuzyQue commented
        Editing a comment
        That CrioBru intrigues me. My daughter had a coffee suggestion that I tried and love. As you make your coffee sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon or so of ground cinnamon over the coffee grounds and brew as usual. I find it mellows the coffee and adds a great flavor, besides the health benefits of the cinnamon. This might taste lovely in your chocolate coffee, too.

• GuitarGramma
        GuitarGramma commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't drink coffee, as it keeps me awake for the next two nights. But I LOVE CrioBru. It is my favorite warm drink.

Good morning. We will have. A party cloudy here today. Next week looks like a lot of clouds and rain. I sewed a few more blocks yesterday. Should get more made next week if we have crummy weather.
      I finally contacted my hairdresser anD picked up my hair dye from him. Last night I mixed it up and had my husband put it on my hair. He did a pretty good job. I should have done that a month ago.
      I am also continuing to train our pug— she is stubborn gal. I found a site that has virtual training program for free.

Have a good day
      Beth

Comment

Good morning!

We have fog to start the day here; it is beginning to burn off. Today is the only day without rain in the forecast for most of the week. It will be a good day to pull the car out and work on straightening up the garage.

The president of our company did not have any good news at his virtual town hall yesterday. I'm actually glad we're not physically on site because there is going to be a lot of anxiety for the next couple of months. In addition to the previously announced hiring freeze, we're going to have salary freezes, pay cuts, buyouts, layoffs and a reorganization of positions (now called "consolidating") and eliminations. I have no idea what is going to happen with my position. I have about 2.5 years until I'm eligible to retire with full benefits. It's no wonder I have a headache this morning!

No plans for the sewing room today. I have a couple of UFO's, but none of them are calling my name. I will be happy if I can get rid of this headache and work in the garage.

Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
          Editing a comment
          I hope things go well. I know that years ago when the federal government made large staff cuts, those that were close to retirement were offered it, without penalty on their pension. I tried to get this deal, but they would not abolish my position. They had other options, that you could trade positions (at same level) with another from your dept or other govt dept. If your boss agreed you could swap. That way many older employees traded with younger ones, and got to retire without penalty. Unfortunately I was not able to cut any of the deals. They didn't want me to go, or lose me. I had one more option they could not refuse, that is to take a leave without pay until I got closer to 60. So I took 1 1/2 years off, had to repay into pension plan, but did retire earlier. Unfortunately, I only had 25 years of service, so I still ended up with a cut, but not as large. It was worth it in the end for my mental and physical well-being.
          p.s. a lot of the employees that retired early got fun jobs or created their own businesses to keep busy.

Good morning everyone!! YEA!!!! The country I live in is set to reopen on Friday, May 22. I can't wait, although the hair salons, gyms, etc. are not included. I really need to have my hair done. It has been over 3 months since I was there last. And, I can't wait for the gyms to open so I can get back to my water aerobics classes. I have missed that all these months.

I am hoping either Michaels or frame shops will be opening on Friday so I can get frames made for a couple of small pics and reframe a larger pic. I also want to have someone come out and look at a couple of windows in my house and discuss what I can do in the way of window coverings. In the back of the house there is a big sliding door and two windows (one on each side of the slider). The door opens out onto a covered patio. When you walk in the front door, you can look straight to the back of the house and see the line of trees that are at the edge of the yard. It is so pretty and I don't want to cover it up with big drapes. I am thinking some kind of blinds, but not sure what. The windows in this house, generally, are larger than normal. The ceilings are 9 ft. and the windows are about 8 ft. high, so I need some help with that.

Sewing wise . . . I picked up the twin's quilts from my long armer and dropped another quilt off for her. I need to do the binding on the twin's quilts. I asked their mother for their "vital" statistics for the labels a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I told her no hurry --- big mistake. I am still waiting. I really only need their middle names at this point. I also signed up for a quilt challenge. You get three blocks each week for 6 weeks and the finishing instructions on the 7th week. I have been wanting to start it, but just haven't had the time (or nerve) to start them. Maybe this week. I also want to make a couple of masks for son#1 and his family in CA. I need to get them done this weekend so I can get them in the mail by Monday.

Have a great day but be safe and healthy.

Nancy

Comment

Good morning everyone. Julie, I will keep you in my prayers. It's hard to be on the just waiting side of the fence. As a former manager, I can say it is tough to be on the other side having to make those decisions, knowing that it will affect people's lives. Then of course, extra stress on all the employees who keep their jobs and have to absorb more work. My company is not saying much right now, but we all know it's coming. It's just the question of what form and when.

Yesterday I finished the binding on the Flinstones quilt. It felt good to finish something, even if it was just a panel. My sister texted and asked for 20 more masks for her summer camp staff. Guess I'll work on that today. I also pulled out a project box that's been sitting onthe shelf for about 4 years. All HSTs and border fabric. I have squared up all the blocks and sewed half of them together. Hope to finish that top today.

The rains came through last night here. Parts of town had a lot of flooding yesterday, others had trees blown over and damage to homes overnight. We were fortunate on my side of town.

Stay safe everyone and keep healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
            Good Morning, Everyone ~ It's hard to believe May already is half over. The year is going by so fast.

Yest. was a busy day. Had my ortho. dr. appt. at 10:15. He was pleased with my progress. He feels I'll need to do my home exercise program indefinitely. He himself does exercising on a daily basis, for ~1 hr. He's a firm believer is staying healthy with regular exercise. I asked him about my lower back; I have an old injury from working at the hosp. lifting a patient. He recommended home exercises for strengthening that area, but wanted to make sure there were no obvious problems, so an x-ray was done. Spine curvature was good, a few bone spurs, but nothing to prevent me from exercising. So my next PT appt., I'll get exercises for a home program to help my back. Now to be disciplined to do the work.

I made a stop by our locally owned home business (not a big box store like Lowe's) to pick up the padded toilet seats I'd ordered last week. Also purchased a new mailbox. My son will install it for us. DH no longer feels capable of doing it.

I made a swing by Chick-fil-A to grab lunch. I knew it would be busy, being noon & a Friday, but that was the busiest I have ever seen it. Cars lined up a long ways--both lines. When I finally got to the window, my order still was being prepared, so I had to park & wait for them to bring it out. For my inconvenience, they gave me a coupon card.

After a quick lunch, I changed into my old clothes & headed out to spread the fertilizer. I wanted to get it down before the predicted afternoon rain shower. Walking over the uneven ground was hard on my joints. I had to stop several times to rest. Finally got 'er done! I'm glad that job is done. The rain didn't come until 6 p.m. when we had a thunderstorm. We're getting into that time of year.

In the eve. I worked ~1 hr. on the ugly quilt. I'm taking my time, pinning the edges before stitching, etc. I'm cutting only 4 blocks at a time to be more precise, plus I don't have a 60 mm rotary cutter to cut through multiple layers.

Today I'll be baking DH's spelt bread, so it's time to get on with my day.
            After almost 1k in Dr co payments we found a teeter invertion table for less than 200$ it has changed my life. Before I couldn't make it thru shopping more than 50 feet without rest. Now I can walk, cook and clean. Honestly I could barely stand for a shower, now I can and get ready without rest. Just can't say enough!!

Comment

Good morning, I feel like I had a long night. I'll be doing the rest of the kitchen makeover today. I have 4 masks left and will finish today. I really want to work on my ugly quilt, I need to move my home office first so I have cutting room. Thank goodness I have a 60mm rotary cutter. I'm watching murder she wrote marathon and love it!!

Comment

Morning all..
                Today is.................well it's here. lol
                I may try to get to the camper for an hour or so today..supposed to be like low 70's here ..and 81 tomorrow! So if I had to choose which two days to work on camper, it's prolly gonna be today. Will head out in just a bit. It's wall day..washing, sanding and spackling. That way if I go out tomorrow it will be sanding and respackling where needed. Got to get it done though. Soooo here's hoping you all have a great day!

Sage, the crone of Putty knives
                Last edited by SagedCrone; May 16, 2020, 12:31 PM.
                😎 Happy Thread tails and trails

Sage

Comment

Good morning, everyone!

Hubby is off helping my mom by taking her hazardous waste to the hazardous waste center. You have to set up an appointment, and the appointments are only on Saturdays. We are helping to get my mother's house cleaned up in many ways, and this is just one of them. I have to think that with less cluttered surroundings, my mom has to feel better about, well, everything.

I'm going to try a new method on making masks for my family. On the first round, I made a mask, then another, then another, etc. This time, I'm going to cut six sets of fabric, six sets of stabilizer, six sets of elastic, topstitch six times, etc. (My fingers just "oops-ed" and typed an "e" instead of an "i" in "six." Glad I caught it before hitting "Post Reply"!!!)

Blessings to all!
                  Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• JCY
                    JCY commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I always have to double check my posts. My 2 pinkie fingers are crooked from arthritis, so sometimes I inadvertently hit the wrong key.

• Momofmonsters5
                    Momofmonsters5 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I made 4 yesterday using that method. I have 4 more with black thread. I made two white seersucker...those were a pain. Only white cotton fabric I had. Used up almost all my interfacing. I wish you luck

Good Afternoon...I’m late to the party today. I caught up on some laundry this morning and did some much needed dusting. That little task got my allergies ruffled up. I have always suspected that I’m allergic to housework.

Jeff asked for breakfast for dinner so that’s what he will get. I need to food shop so meals are a little patchy right now.

I'm thinking of taking a little nap.

I hope everyone is having a good Saturday. Hugs, Barb
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Afternoon check in!
                    We went to help with the food backpack program again today. They had a big order of cheeses delivered today. There was ricotta and cheese sticks as well as a bag of potatoes and a bunch of bananas to add to the regular bags of food. We helped at the warehouse with the cheese delivery and we hauled that to the pick-up site at the elementary school where I work. We arrived about an hour early. While we waited for the rest of the crew to arrive, I started weeding the flower beds.
                    It looks like they have been let go since the shut down. We have a bunch of buttercup and burrs that have taken over the front beds. Icky! I may see if one of the other moms who gardens, wants to join me for an hour to finish it off.
                    It was pretty rainy, and we think that kept some people home. We didn't see nearly as many of our families today as normal.

Now I need to decide what to do for the rest of the day. Sewing, housekeeping, naps? So many choices!
                    I think we are also having breakfast for dinner. Pancakes, bacon, eggs, and fruit smoothies.

Have a a great rest of your day!
                    Cathy
                    Be who you are and say what you feel
                    because those who mind don't matter,
                    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Hi Friends,
                      just checking in,
                      thought was checking out earlier!!
                      pollen reactions. bah. wind direction changed while no windows open there is air flow under wooden floors. somehow pollen got in.
                      After that eye streaming choking, inhaler usage,
                      furniture was stacked himself vacuumed, then steamed carpets with extractor fan on, himself vacuumed again once dry,, vac has a hepa filter.
                      Am more worried about pollen reactions then covid at moment.
                      thank goodness for the inj other day. crazy crazy times.
                      A positive is everything is now shiny,
                      Have wonderful weekend all.
                      croaky T

Comment

• 201 Treadler
                        201 Treadler commented
                        Editing a comment
                        forgot to say himself vacuumed the cat! mischief dislikes the vacuum, but allows it being used in same room while he resting, today insisted on sitting in way while himself was on hand and knees vacuuming the skirting boards, the pipe attachment was on with a dusting soft brush and mischief started purring with the massage, very odd behaviour, now have a super slick mischief. He does look happier. perhaps his fluff was bothering him, he saw a way to resolve, would never of believed it if not seen with own eyes, mischief was able to leave at any point he thought of. strange cat.

• SagedCrone
                        SagedCrone commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Can I ask where are you located?? In the south, where I just moved from, the pollen was really bad starting very late winter and early early spring. It would be so bad, when it finally rained, the creeks and smaller rivers turned yellowish green from the land run off! Was crazy.
                        Do you do anything besides an inhaler?
                        I turned my sister on to this, and it may help you, but you may already know..if you're not allergic to honey that is. 2 T of LOCAL produced honey can help ease the symptoms. Key is it has to be local honey to your area and you have to not miss a day and it usually takes a season to take effect. Hope you give it a try..and steer as clear of pollen as you can!

• JCY
                        JCY commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I haven't had the usual pollen allergy symptoms since I started using Flonase nasal spray. Once a day all during allergy season. I also use the Neti Pot sinus rinse as needed. Flonase now is available over the counter; the generic is much cheaper. It's also available on Amazon.
                    Working...
                    X