Plumbing leak to demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plumbing leak to demolition

The leak discovered in my brand newly built home in the master bathroom resulted in the demolition of my tiled shower and removal of a wall. Once they opened the wall, the mold was pretty bad but not extensive...however, enough damage that we moved out of the master area and relocated to guest bed and bath on the other side of house. The mold remidiation guy said we didn't have to leave the house. It was all removed yesterday.. Plumber came out and discovered a solder weld on main valve of shower was faulty plus...get this...the finishing carpenter wielding his nail gun decided to willy nilly shoot nails between studs when he installed base board and wainscoting.....his nails shot through both the hot and cold water lines. Based on damage, they felt it had been leaking for 6 months. Omgosh!

Today, they demo'd the wall and inspected the damage of foundation...thank goodness, fixable without tearing up floors. Fans are blowing, rooms closed off, plastic over doors...geesh... They start reconstruction next week when they are sure all dried out. My home is still under warranty so nothing but inconvenience for us but....still.... So sad to see my beautiful bathroom torn up...

So,,after workers left for the day, I dragged my hubbie out the door for a drive into town, buy a hamburger, and have lunch by the Payette River. It was lovely and just what we needed.

Tomorrow, going to nursery to buy plants for my flower beds and planter boxes. Working outside will feel wonderful after my week...
    "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm so sorry! It sounds like you and I should commiserate together over plumber stories and coffee.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

o my gosh, mold is horrible to resolve, spores yikes, are you both OK?

pleased it is getting sorted now, even with all destruction, you must be worn out with cleaning spores off all surfaces and fabrics, moving stuff about.
      is all plumbing x electrics in rest of home OK with such a trigger happy carpenter? really hope so☘
      hope all turns out well, and health's continue to be good.
      have a great time choosing your plants.😉
      hugs,
      T

Comment

Thank you, both..

The mold remidiation company scored it low for contamination...checked air quality etc. The contractor has hired another company to come out and clean/disinfect my entire house now...and after reconstruction. They are checking all plumbing through out house, too. I'm exhausted! Lol.. They certified mold-free so I do feel better... Just want my house back to normal. Ugh!
        "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Omgosh is right! Don't you just love house problems. Your a girl after my own heart, buying a plant to eat up the stress. 🌿
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Glad you are OK and the contamination is low. Unfortunately, living in a house that is all torn up is very disruptive. Been there, done that. You have my sympathy. Thank goodness for healing hamburgers, peaceful rivers, and garden centers.

Comment

That's so sad. Esp. in your brand new house. Glad the fix is under way. I hope the builder made it right, since it happened on his watch.

Comment

My heart goes out to you! After living in our house for twenty years, we discovered that the electrician had drilled a pilot hole that punctured our master bathroom drain pipe! Fortunately, the water had always leaked out the outside wall, so we had no mold. But I had to live with my walls torn open for weeks, so I feel your pain! thank goodness you bought from a reputable builder who is standing behind his work.
                Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Working...
                X