It's a sunny Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a sunny Tuesday

Or at least I think it will be. Yesterday turned out to be quite lovely from what I saw of it. What a day it was!!! The truck was there off loading when I arrived. Yes a delivery of parcels had indeed been made on Sunday. It didn't look too overwhelming until he was off loading yesterday's load. I sorted and emptied a bin as he was filling up another one. OH BOY!! There were parcels everywhere plus bins of mail. I would say that there were close to 200 parcels. Mine you, there are 2 post offices that receive their shipment from this post office. I was rather pleased with myself that I managed to get all the big parcels sorted for the girls. It was a very busy day, I only sat long enough for my lunch hour. I didn't stop all day. The lady that I made the masks for was very happy to have them and my boss loves them as well. By the end of the day, my leg was really sore. I have a sore spot behind the knee (in the fold if you will) and it was killing me last night. Doctor has told me it is not a Bakers Cyst. My feet weren't too bad as I had brought the old crocs with me. I am glad I am off until Friday.

My sister-in-law has asked for 6 more and one of the girls from the post office asked me for 2. So I guess I will be making more masks today.

My very wood working talented brother has finished my whirligig. It is a sewing machine. He called last night to tell me if was finished. He will let the paint dry really well before he brings it home. I can't wait to see it. He may come tomorrow.

The parcel from my cousin (who I made masks for) has sent me something which hasn't come yet. It only took 4 days for him to receive my package, don't know why his is taking so long to come here. In any case, he keeps teasing me that it is old and has something to do with sewing. Parcels are slow coming in so I have to be patient.

And so my day begins. After mask making we shall see what I need to do.

Have a great day everyone.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Good morning!

The sun is shining this morning -- high today around 55. Today is the start of a warming trend, we will have temps in the low 70's later this week.

Mom fell again. That is six falls in just over a week. After the fourth fall, they moved her to a wheelchair and she has fallen out of that twice. The physical therapist saw her yesterday and ordered seven sessions to try to help Mom strengthen her legs. She said she has seen a noticeable decline since January. I asked about Mom's shoes, to see if she needed new ones, but the therapist said the two pairs she saw looked good. I called my Ohio sister to let her know about the fall and she started grilling me on which shoes the therapist was talking about. I didn't know. The only time I ever noticed Mom's shoes was if they were untied. Or missing. Her favorite pair was lost (and found) her first week there.

I have non-stop meetings scheduled today and tomorrow. I am not very happy about this. My employer is switching over to a new version of some software. Last year, we had ten hours of virtual meetings about the differences between the old version and the new one. We also had to do several hours of testing. Now we have fourteen hours (9am - 4 pm) of "training," to cover the same software. Honestly, if you can use the old version, you can use the new version, it is not that different. I could see a couple of hours for a refresher, maybe even half a day -- but two whole days? That is overkill.

I took some butter out of the fridge in anticipation of making bread in the bread machine today. I figure the smell will help keep me grounded during my endless meetings. I have been home for almost two months now and haven't made any bread yet.

Time for a second cup of tea before I log in to my morning work chat. Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      Safety concerns for your mom ~ Do they have bed/chair alarms at that facility? We used to have those at the hosp. As soon as there is movement of the buttocks off the bed or chair seat, the alarm goes off. Maybe they need to put a safety belt around her torso when she's up in the chair.

• JulieC
      JulieC commented
      Editing a comment
      They are supposed to be using a chair alarm. When I talked to the nurse, she wasn't sure if they had a bed alarm in stock and were going to order one if not. I found out yesterday they are not using the wheelchair we provided, but one "left behind" by a former resident.

• Cokie
      Cokie commented
      Editing a comment
      toggpine, thanks for the information. That was my understanding of bread flour but I'd never heard of bread machine yeast. I ordered a fresh package of yeast so I should be OK there. I'll check out the book you suggested. Thanks for the info!

Good Morning All,

Well, my morning yesterday was interesting. My washer and dryer are supposed to be delivered today. The hole in the wall is fixed and repainted, a whole quart of paint for a dip on the lid, oh well. That's why I worked so hard on patching/ sanding. It feathered in nicely.

Julie, do you think they could be over medicating your Mom? I was shocked at all the meds mom was on when she was at Bryan Center. It's something that just popped into my head.

Mike is off today. I have no idea what he has planned. I'm not planning on waking him up. Gabby's been out and to his door. He shut it tight so she can't get in to get under his bed.

I checked on the status of 2 orders from M* last night. One has taken a pretty straight shot here and should be here today. Can't say the same for the other. Made it to GA, then NC, then back to the starting center in KS. I sent a message to M* last night and included the travels of my DD. The travel log says it will be here Friday. I'll believe it when I see it in my grubby little hands. My order of elastic, from a different company is lost at JFK. It's been sitting there since May 3. I requested the order be canceled and refunded. We'll see what happens to that.

My afghan covers most of my legs now. I still have a long way to go on this skein. I probably shouldn't have bought the third. It will be nice to snuggle under in my recliner. I certainly don't need it right now!

Time to get started. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• JulieC
      JulieC commented
      Editing a comment
      I wondered about the meds issue. Mom is on anti-anxiety medication and something to help her sleep. I should look up the side effects.

• Nwmnteacher
      Nwmnteacher commented
      Editing a comment
      Julie, are her falls at a particular time of the day? If it's usually in the morning, she might be foggy from the sleep meds.

• JulieC
      JulieC commented
      Editing a comment
      Her falls are at all hours. She wanders at night; a couple of her falls have occurred then. Others have been during the day. Two of falls were after they put her in the wheelchair. The first fall because she was using her feet to move the chair and fell out; the second when she was trying to get out of the chair by herself.

Good Morning, Everyone ~ We have clouds this a.m., but it's supposed to warm up to ~70. Yest. it rained most of the day. We had ~2 hrs. of afternoon sunshine. It started raining about the time the sprinkler guy from the lawn service came at 10 a.m. It was a cold morning--only 40 deg. I bundled up in my winter coat & hat & used our umbrella. I knew there was a bad head from when the system got blown out last fall, but it wasn't a simple fix. After the head was replaced, it still didn't work, & water was seeping out of the ground ~1 ft. from the head. There was a leak in the pipe. He had to remove a section of sod & dig down to find the problem. It was leaking at a T connection. All got fixed & things are working fine now. So we're set to go. I anticipate future problems in the back yard due to tree roots, but for now things are okay. I hope to get the fertilizer spread this week while the temps. are cooler. Next week we are expecting 80's.

Today I have an appt. with the endodontist for a consult. I've had the appt. for weeks, but due to the stay at home orders & the pandemic it was postponed twice.

Our quilt guild will have its meeting on Zoom again this evening. I will have a "sew & tell" this time.

Comment

Good morning all!

Warming up a bit here too, although there is frost advisory for tonight.

Nice weather for working outside. Transplanted some small bushes yesterday. Daffodils might bloom by this weekend.

Stay safe!

Comment

Good morning! We had a beautiful sunrise this morning...pinks, reds, and oranges. It's slowly warming up, 60's today then up to the 80's by Saturday. I finished quilting a guild donation quilt yesterday. I need to finish the binding and add a label and it's done! I've been in a real sewing slump and this is the first I've done in over a month.
        Julie, I hope your mom does okay. We have an aunt in the nursing home who tries to get up on her own and falls. She doesn't want to "bother" the staff so she won't call for help. We keep telling her that's what they get paid for, but it doesn't seem to help.
        I need to go out for a few supplies this morning. I dread it, some folks don't care about wearing masks or social distancing. Have a safe day!
        *~* Myrna *~*
        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Good Morning! It should be a beautiful day here today, upper 50's maybe 60. When I got up this morning it was 28! Glad we brought in the hanging baskets. Today I plan on doing a little baking, I have bananas that need to be used. I am working on hand quilting the anniversary gift for my daughter and son-in-law. Going well so far and as long as I stay on schedule I should have plenty of time to do a label and the binding. Just working on it in the evenings, hope my finger holds out (it's been too long since I last had quilted).
          Carlie

Comment

Sunshine today! I don't know how warm it will get but the sunshine is a welcome feeling.
            Baking bread--- sounds great. Maybe I'll get out the bread machine today. I haven't used it in awhile.
            I'm still working on the book for my grandson. I talked to my daughter on Mother's Day and she said they aren't going to do anything for his birthday this year because we grandparents are all in the high risk category. He's going to be 2 and wouldn't know anything about a celebration but I'm disappointed. I'll still get his book done in time-- June 1st-- and take it to him. I finished one of the pages yesterday. It took a couple days to make. It's so enjoyable creating these books!
            Have a happy day!
            ~ Carol from PA

Comment

• KPH
              KPH commented
              Editing a comment
              I had great fun making a dressing book for my grands. I think the hardest thing was putting the top of a sneaker in to have laces to tie. I made each page and put in grommets. I used heavy grograin ribbon to tie the pages together. lol, I'm amazed it's still together. All of them still play with it!

Good Morning ! Gonna be a cooler one today, guess the June Gloom is sneaking in early this year. Had the telephone appt with the pallative group yesterday, they are now checking in with us every two weeks. I finally got him to ask for anxiety meds. He is still not ready to agree to hospice and I should stop right there on that topic before I end up on my ranting soap box. I did manage to sew a simple purse for myself yesterday, not the best but it will work for now. When I feel confident about going out to retail, after a washer and dryer purchase, my next will be a new(er) sewing machine. Something that can handle many layers of fabric.

Hope all have a good day today!

Comment

Morning all,

The sun is shining and all is well in my world.

I think I finally found some inspiration to get back in the sewing room. I had been looking for a saying for a reading pillow I had been working on and finally found one I like for it so this UFO is going to get finished.

Yesterday I had a grocery delivery and let me tell you I could really get used to this and not go grocery shopping anymore. Placed my order around 10am and groceries were delivered by 11:15 and everything I ordered was delivered. Two items were out of stock but my shopper notified me and told me what I could replace it with and I approved it so I was very happy.

Today I have two Zoom meetings and I can't say I really like Zooming but need to do it. I will be glad when we can get back to our regular meetings but I know for my county it probably will be a while.Maybe I'd like it more if I was more tech savvy, trying to teach an old dog new tricks isn't always easy! LOL!

Well, time for a second cup of coffee and a few chores left to do. Wishing everyone a good day. Be well and stay safe.
              If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Good morning. And what a morning it has been here. We were awakened a little after 6 by pounding. It turned out to be our 95 yo neighbor who lives right behind us. She was pounding on our back door and asking for help. So, of course, we opened the door and took her in. She was just in her nightclothes and a light robe and slippers. And she had her handbag with her. I asked her what was wrong and how she got in our yard. She said she climbed over the fence!! Now it isn't a tall fence, just a 3-4 ft. chain link but she's 95! She said her daughter locks her inside but she figured out the special lock and got out. Oh boy. What to do. She kept saying she wanted to go to her sisters house in Hicksville, which is just a town over from us. Then she thought our cat was hers and asked if I would pick her up and put her back over the fence because she was probably scared being in a different house. We talked to her for a few minutes(in between taking turns running upstairs to get dressed), trying to get a sense of what she was thinking. She said please don't call the police. They'll just take me back there again. She told us they had done that before. She just wanted us to drive her to her sisters. We explained that we would get in trouble if we did that and that I needed to call someone to help her. By now we had finally realized that we should have masks on. But in the early morning crazy awakening, I only thought about this poor woman outside and her hands were sooooo cold. So I called the precinct and they sent two squad cars over. They talked to her about not being able to take her anywhere else because of the pandemic. I am not sure that she understood. I overheard the male officer ask the female if they were sending another team and I heard her say they were contacting them. Not sure what team they were talking about and I am sure they couldn't have told me if I asked. So, they finally convinced Margaret that they would drive her home. I felt so upset for her. I hope I see her daughter in the yard today . And I hope she doesn't climb the fence again. Today I will be checking along the fenceline to see where I think she could have gotten over and make sure there isnt anything in the way for her to trip over and get hurt. Oh boy, what a morning. We have been trying to be so careful about not being too near to people and wearing masks, etc. And now this morning I was in quite close proximity to Margaret. The officers were masked and gloved so I am not concerned about them being here.

The rest of the day will involve some sewing, a walk hopefully and maybe a nap.

Julie, I hope they get to figuring out what's happening with your mom. Monique, get some rest. That's a lot of parcels. Katrina, I hope your washer and dryer get there today.

Mmmmmm, yum. All the talk about baking bread is making my mouth water. My yeast is in the way so maybe next week I'll bake some. Haven't done that in years. I need to look up how to get a starter going again.

Dove, that book you are making sounds wonderful. Be safe all who are venturing out today. Keep warm too all of those dealing with cooler temps as we are here too. However, they say it is going to feel like summer by weeks' end. I sure hope so.

Have a good day all.
                Last edited by Ginny B; May 12, 2020, 09:34 AM.
                Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

• JCY
                  JCY commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What an interesting morning you had! It sounds like this dear lady needs to be in a memory care unit where she can't escape & will get the proper care. It's a wonder she didn't fall & break something!

• CraftyJnet
                  CraftyJnet commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When we were taking care of Mom in the last years of her life, she had bad dementia. One day my dh was taking her for a walk. She walked right into our community center and said my DH had kidnapped her. They apologized to my dh but called the police anyway. This is right on the corner of the only way in and out of our neighborhood at about 5pm. . So my poor dh had to explain to the police that she wasn't kidnapped while everyone we know was driving past. Fortunately the police could tell what was wrong with my mom so they convinced her to come back home with my dh.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                  SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How worrisome for everyone. I'm certain that your neighbour is not positive, if she has been indoors. It does sound like she should be in a care home and probably suffering some dementia. My other thought was that she could be abused and wanting to escape, which I guess the authorities will figure out quickly enough. How sad!

I have a washer and dryer.... wait for it.... the water was plumbed in backwards, thank goodness the Lowe's guy was able to fix it.

Now, a trip to Lowe's because there was only 1 rusted screw holding on the dryer vent cover. I could kick myself, we just got rid of Howard's cabinets filled with screws and such when we got the Tesla Batteries.
                Katrina
                “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Hi friends Happy Tuesday
                  We have clouds sun and a breeze, the thorn is now flowering, with the lilac trees and yellow trees all is bright out there. For some reason feeling cold, even covered in quilt.
                  we had pancakes for lunch, he has been flipping, while have been giggling at Star lovers funny from yesterday.
                  both boys are sun bathing inside on bed, mischief copied my ooooo when seeing Mabel, was like a little echo, that got louder when himself joined in.
                  Was going to suggest a vibrator plate, for mum, but no matter how you say vibrator p. for a person living wiser age in a home, it sounds so wrong👀.
                  have a super day
                  Hugs
                  T

Comment

Happy Tuesday folks. It looks like sunshine here and our temps are on the rise. No more cool days, it will be scorching before we know it.
                    Our neighbors are getting their house painted starting today, maybe, there isn't anyone working there yet. If they show up and do a good job we may get them to do ours. It is a brick house but the trim needs painting. I don't think it has been painted since it was built 14 years ago. Everything looks OK except the front is looking a bit faded. I am not thrilled with the very dark brown but it is probably the best color to work with the brick.🙄 I need to contact the HOA to see if I need to notify them if repainting the same color.🙄😐
                    My Donna Jordan panel quilt that I did wrong🤣 is looking pretty good with the blocks laid out, not ripping out is going to be just fine.

Comment

Cokie ~ I'm on my 3rd bread making machine. There are recipes that come with the owner's manual. I have never used any special kind of bread flour. I use organic spelt flour for DH who has problems with regular wheat. I make it 50/50 brown & white flours. I prefer the dough cycle rather than letting it bake in the machine due to the size of it. I prefer the size of a reg. bread pan & baked in the oven. The dough cycle takes 90 min. When done, I pour it out on a floured surface & knead it until it's the right consistency, put it in the greased bread pan to rise for 25-30 min., then bake it for 60 min. (It takes longer for things to cook/bake at our almost mile high altitude.) I reduce the heat from 350 to 325 the last 15 min. so it doesn't get too brown. As soon as the 1st loaf is in the pan to rise, I mix up the next loaf & get it going in the bread maker. So it takes ~ 6 hrs. from start to finish for both loaves. I do other things while the mach. and/or oven are going. IMO, the bread maker makes it so much easier for the whole process.

Comment

• Cokie
                        Cokie commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for the hints, Joy. I need to give it a go!
                    Working...
                    X