Drive by baby shower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive by baby shower

I got an invite the other day for a drive by baby shower in June. The invitation says 1-3 pm, come and honk your horns for the soon to be parents, and curbside drop off for gifts so no need to worry about social distancing. I have heard about car honking parades going past a house for a birthday but this kind of baby shower is new to me. What exactly happens at the baby shower, does anyone know? Do we drive there, honk our horns, drop off gift and leave? Do we park and sit in the car and play baby bingo from there? The hostess must be a friend of the mom to be but is someone I don't know. The invite just had her first name only and RSVP by email, no phone number.

You know what you do...give to a food bank and give her a card saying donated in her name.😜
    "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Perhaps its a way to hurry the baby on, know anyone with an large truck air horn, lol that show scare the pajamas off anyone lol🤣

Comment

That's a new one to me! Of course these days, there's a lot of new ideas being created.
        Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
        ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Ok, that's going too far in my book. I'm all for celebrating baby and making a lovely day for the mom-to-be, but honk your horn and drop off a gift? Umm... nope. That's not a celebration, that's a gift grab. lol
          Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

• Hulamoon
            Hulamoon commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally agree. Bad taste.

Why in the heck would you RSVP just to do a drive & drop? I thought the purpose of RSVP's was to know how much food/chairs/etc to have based on the number of people attending? I'm with Suzette and Lori, this is really Tacky

Comment

thinking about it, this sounds like a phishing scam to get your details, specially if not know the person expecting, dont reply.

Comment

• jjkaiser
              jjkaiser commented
              Editing a comment
              No not a scam, I actually know the mom to be. Are you ready? This is my goofy family. I have 3 adopted daughters. We stayed in touch with her birth mom, who has been my sister's best friend since high school. Birth mom had a son 4 yrs older than my daughter who she did NOT put up for adoption. The mom to be is my daughter's brother's wife and this is their first baby.

• 201 Treadler
              201 Treadler commented
              Editing a comment
              gosh that is an amazing family history you have, congratulations to the parents certainly a unique situation.
              pleased not a scam too.

No not a scam, I actually know the mom to be. Are you ready? This is my goofy family. I have 3 adopted daughters. We stayed in touch with her birth mom, who has been my sister's best friend since high school. Birth mom had a son 4 yrs older than my daughter who she did NOT put up for adoption. The mom to be is my daughter's brother's wife and this is their first baby.

lol. Well young people think things differently. For instance mine. She thought when she had her BIG wedding they would have enough money to put down on a house. Now the new one is that the mainlanders who have houses over here might go into foreclosures and they can jump on one of those. Hoping and wishing is always alive. lol
            "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

The drive-by "baby shower" seems a bit tacky to me. Why don't they have it Zoom so everyone can see everyone? Maybe after the presents were delivered to the house, she could open her gifts where everyone could see them in the virtual format? It seems like that would be more personal. Just a thought. This pandemic certainly has spoiled a lot of events -- weddings, baby showers, deaths/funerals, family gatherings. But I guess we have to deal with life like it is.

Comment

My daughter in law is having a baby in July. Her best friend is organizing a drive by shower.
                Last edited by laura44; May 9, 2020, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Can’t help.....but last week when my husband and I were out for our walk, we came upon a drive by baby shower. Looked like people were just dropping off gifts, exchanging words through their windows and moving on....I could have missed things as we didn’t stand around.....we kept moving. Didn’t hear any honking, so maybe something different.
                  💫 Star lover

Comment

I say tacky. A good friend of mine just had her first grandchild born, there was a shower planned but cancelled, they decided to just wait until all this is over and have a welcome baby celebration. I think this is a much better idea.
                    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

Sounds like a really good plan to me- especially if you're "obligated." Ten minutes to handle what could be a waste of an afternoon.
                      You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

OK, I get that the main reason for a baby shower is for the parents-to-be to get things they will need for the baby. In normal times, it's also an excuse to get together, and for everyone to wish them well. Well, these aren't normal times. The drive-by is an opportunity to wave and wish them well. If you don't want to do it, don't. For the life of me, I don't understand why they would need an RSVP for a drive-by. Personally, I don't see this as tacky or as a gift grab. I would think, though, that any gifts that are dropped off should be quarantined for several days before they are opened.

Many years ago, I got invited to a strange baby shower. My friend and her DH had moved out of state for his job, far away from family and friends. I was invited to a baby shower at her cousin's home, but told to bring the gift unwrapped and to bring wrapping paper and a bow. The plan was for all of us to take turns holding up our gift so everyone could ooh and ahh, then we were supposed to wrap it. The hostess was going to pack the gifts into a large box and ship it to the expectant mom. I could not imagine having to make small talk all afternoon with a bunch of strangers (I would not have known anyone in attendance at the shower), so I declined. Instead, I wrapped my gift at home and mailed it directly to my friend.

Comment

I think it's a way to get gifts, the mom to be probably feels cheated from her experience. I had five kids, baby showers were not important to me. My mom thru me one for my first. I provided all necessary things for my granddaughter when my oldest daughter had her baby. I personally wouldn't participant. I think sharing after the baby is born on a video would be welcome attention. Give if you were anyway but there doesn't need a forced platform to give in n my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                          X