• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JCY
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2013

8 Things I Won't Do Even After the Lockdown Ends

I was just browsing my MSN home page & came across this article: "I'm A Nurse...And These Are the 8 Things I Won't Do Even After the Lockdown Ends." (She lives in Jefferson Co., Colorado)

1 - I won't go out in public without a mask.
    2 - I won't run non-essential errands.
    3 - I won't share drinks with my kids.
    4 - I will never look at a doorknob the same way.
    5 - I won't leave home without disinfectant wipes & hand sanitizer.
    6 - I won't skimp on sleep.
    7 - I won't give up our bedtime routine.
    8 - I will never take my community for granted again.

What are your thoughts on her article? I know I've been more vigilant about getting to bed on time so I have adequate rest. I've been avoiding most sweets. I read one time that as little as 1 tsp. of sugar can depress the immune system for up to 4 hrs. As a retired nurse I look at door knobs & any items that other people may have touched as possible ways to spread not only C-19, but a cold, flu, whatever. I've seen so many people in public restrooms who don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom. People blow their nose & don't wash their hands afterwards. How many dirty hands have touched the fruit or produce or other items at the grocery store? As much as possible, I wash everything with soap & water when I get it home. I'm not germophobic, but just using common sense. Those of us with medical training understand how quickly & easily germs can be spread.
  • nativetexan
    Banned
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2018

Boy, I kind of agree with all of those things listed and maybe more. My son and granddtr who now live with me think I"m the crazy one. duh!!
    seat belts are one i always forgot about cleaning. never even gave it a thought on air planes, not that i have been on many. but places that see lots of people. Yucky.

Comment

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      It's been a few years since the last time I flew, but even then I wiped down the tray table & the arms of the seats. I may have forgotten the seat belt. But we need to be thinking also about the door handles of our vehicles, seat belts, steering wheel, etc. -- anything that our hands may have touched is a possible area needing cleaning.
  • jjkaiser
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2013

I never used to wash down doorknobs or light switches, just never thought of it. Now I do almost every day. I never knew my house had so many doorknobs LOL.I now keep disinfectant wipes in the kitchen, and "before" I washed down the sink faucet and fridge handles with my dishrag. Now I use the wipes on those twice a day. I think this is a good list to keep in mind. Our state is still in lockdown till May 26.
    Jocelyn
    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• auntstuff
      Missouri Star
      • Nov 2017

Since I'm pretty much a hermit anyway, I really haven't had any changes.
      She who dies with the most quilts is......
      Still dead.
      What's your hurry?

Comment

• Tracie T
        The Guild President
        • Sep 2017

I was just saying to my husband the other day that I don't have any desire to even go to the movies, sporting events, concerts, amusement parks anymore. Any place there are lots of people crammed together. I really wasn't a huge fan of crowds to begin with...now I'll be worse!
        Tracie

Comment

• grammaterry
          Missouri Star
          • Dec 2015

Oh heck, I haven't been to a movie theatre for years, a concert is a no go, when I used to fly to see my mother, I wore a mask, took a quilt to go over the seat, a large napkin to go over the tray and I threatened to take lysol to spray it all down. When in the airport, I kept a napkin in my hand to hold onto the hand rails to go up and down the steps. I do like to go out to eat but always look around before seated and even after seated I check out the silverware and water glass before I order. So, am I a germaphobe or just a woman with common sense. I always noticed when I worked at fairs and expositions that there was a long line at the ladies room but not for the sinks....hummm.....So, fear not, just be smarter than the average person....remember....survival of the fittest or smartest
          success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
          Terry of NC

Comment

• JCY
            JCY commented
            Editing a comment
            You got that right, Terry!
        • Hulamoon
          Missouri Star
          • Jul 2012

I'm like auntstuff, just a little Hermit. I wore a mask for the first time today to go to the dentist. They set the office (check-in) out side and took my temp. The finale thing is that they were going to call for payment. They didn't even want people standing around to pay them Imagine that. lol

Our island hasn't had a case in over 15 days and they lifted curfew today. People coming here still have to go into quarantine.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

• TMP
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2014

I have been to the grocery store two times since this all began . I went to Home Depot today because my daughter cleaned off natural islands for me and we needed bark. I wore a mask , gloves, shoes that covered my entire foot. I came back and changed clothes and shoes in the garage before going inside. We wipe down everything we buy or it stays in the garage and we spray it with Lysol . I was shocked that very few people had on a mask and rarely anyone with gloves. People were closer together than I felt comfortable . I told my daughter it was starting to upset me. I am so afraid that the majority of people are thinking its okay to go right back as we were before. I hope we can soon but, right now I am just not comfortable out in a group of people. It so hard to be rational about all this because its a threat we can't see. Sometimes I feel like I am over reacting, then I turn on the tv or read the news.

** The older man who took my bark to the car had no mask on . I ask him if he needed some I would bring him some home made ones . He said thanks but masks bothered him. I thought employees were required to wear them. I guess its his choice.
            Last edited by TMP; May 6, 2020, 08:20 PM.
            Teresa
            Pelham, Alabama
            War Eagle!!!

Comment

• JCY
              JCY commented
              Editing a comment
              When I was at Lowe's recently, one of the women working at the customer service desk was not wearing a mask. All the other employees that I saw were, but one older guy didn't have his over his nose.
          • Mimi_Howard
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2016

What I miss are the hugs from family/friends. No desire to be in crowded places and continuing to wear a mask does not bother me at all. I have a small hand sanitizer clipped to my purse, extra masks and wipes in my purse too for when I do have to go out, which I am trying to keep to a once a month trip. I also wear gloves and carry extra of those too.

Comment

• TMP
              TMP commented
              Editing a comment
              The thing I miss most of all is my grandchildren! They have always spent a lot of time with me.

• Mimi_Howard
              Mimi_Howard commented
              Editing a comment
              I am sure when the time comes that I can hug mine I will hear........ mimi you are squeezing too tight!
          • Murphy224
            Applique Angel
            • Feb 2016

Always have been aware of germs and germy places, did the always washing of hands, washing all fruits and veggies including melons as soon as they arrived in the house, not touching public doors, handles with bare hands if possible, always wiping down my area of an airplane seat, etc.
            The one "germy" thing/place I had never thought of before this was the pump at gas stations. Used to just jump out, put my card in, press all the necessary buttons, handles, etc, pump the gas, get in my car, buckle up and drive away! Sometimes drinking a beverage or "gasp" eating a snack!!! Never again. I will use a glove before I exit my vehicle, throw it away at the pump before opening the car door, immediately sanitize my hands, then start up and drive away. Never ever crossed my mind who had touched all of that pump before me!
            Saw another place to be more careful.....the ATM machine at the bank. I use the drive up and it has a touchscreen, from now own I will carry a stylus in my car and use it to touch instead of my finger. Will probably be easier as I have to open the door and lean out to be able to reach it anyway. Hopefully the end of the stylus won't pick up too many germs and they will die before it touches my hand again.
            Have always had hand sanitizer in my purse, but will now carry wipes and gloves in my car. Will be a long time before I go into a movie theater again or eat sit down in a restaurant. Until a proven vaccine is found, reliable treatment for vulnerable people, and more is known about how long Covid 19 lives on surfaces, I will be more vigilant than I have been in the past.
            Good Grief, what else am I missing????

Comment

• Trudy A
              Designer Diva
              • Apr 2019

I personally think that people will/should make smart choices about everyday sanitary procedures as they should have been in the past but I will not be in a panic about this. I am anxiously awaiting for our lives go back to normal.
              One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

• Dove
                Missouri Star
                • May 2020

Masks are mandatory where I live, unless health problems prevent it. Any child age 2 or older is required to wear one. My 6 old granddaughter is autistic-- it's a struggle for her to wear one but somehow Mom and Dad convince her to put one on. Change is difficult for her but my daughter taught special ed for 10 years and has some experience-- and lots of patience!
                It will feel strange to not wear a mask and gloves but I hope we can get to that. I can't wait to be able to go to a restaurant and eat there! Caution will prevail over the experience.
                ~ Carol from Southwest PA

Comment

• Suzette
                  Missouri Star
                  • Oct 2012

Not much has or will change for me. I have always been careful about things like wiping down a grocery cart when I go to the store, washing my hands after being out anywhere and keeping some personal space between me and the next person. I have made many masks for others and wore one myself for a while, but I stopped a few days ago. I don't go to the store quite as often as I used to, so that has changed (for the better since it saves me money), but I don't stay out of them either.

I have been luckier than some in that I live on a farm and have horses. So being at home is never boring and very rewarding for me. I have a lot to do no matter what else is going on in the world.
                  Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

• MSN
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2017

I'm curious -- why have you stopped wearing a mask?

Comment

Working...
                    X