Care of wooden spoons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Care of wooden spoons

This thread is for non-quilting questions. Every time I receive a gift basket, it includes a wooden spoon. The spoons have an unfinished look so I'm not sure if they can be used "as is" or do they need something done to them, besides hand washing with soap and water? Also, can the spoons be used to stir hot foods during cooking? Or are they just for mixing salads or cold food? I know not to put them in a dishwasher, but I'm not sure of any other rules regarding their use. Since quilters are also cooks, I thought I would ask about them here. TIA

I have always used them for everything, hot, and cold. When new, give them a wash, let them air dry, then give them a light rub with olive oil, removing excess with a paper towel. I repeat that after several washes as well.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

I use a product called Cutting Board Oil. Howard is the brand and I get it at Home Depot. It's food grade mineral oil, for use on butcher blocks, cutting boards, wooden bowls and utensils. I don't have a butcher block but have used it on boards, bowls and utensils. I have a wooden salt cellar and use it on that as well. It's easy to apply and really soaks into the wood. Natural oils aren't recommended because they could go rancid. Here's some info: https://www.cuttingboard.com/how-to-...cutting-board/
      I've used wooden spoons for years for both hot and cold foods. They develop a "patina" the more you use them. The only other thing I would add is not to soak them...it raises the grain.
      Last edited by chelea; May 1, 2020, 09:16 AM.
      Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

I have never oiled a wooden spoon. We have several that have lived with us for many years, and all are still alive and well.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I've had some for years too, never took care of them and still okay. I prefer to use bamboo ones now.
          "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

• bubba
            bubba commented
            Editing a comment
            I actually like the silicone ones!

Whatever you do, DON'T whack the kids or the dog on the head with them. Guarantee the heads are harder!
          sigpic

Comment

• TMP
            TMP commented
            Editing a comment
            HAHAHA!!!!

I have 2 that were my grandma's. She was 90 when she died in 1982. I've never done anything special to them and they are still strong.
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

I have numerous sizes of wooden spoons which I've had for many years. I've never treated them in any special way other than to hand wash them. I use them for both hot & cold, but mostly hot.

Comment

• auntstuff
              auntstuff commented
              Editing a comment
              The oil just keeps them from picking up too much flavor. Don't care much for garlic crossing over into my pudding.

I use mine for wok dishes or rice dishes. We prefer them when making rice, not sure why but there is a difference. I have the bamboo ones from Pampered Chef.

Comment

Yes you might want to treat them once lightly with olive oil. I love wooden spools and wooden bowls. The older the better. A few years ago we were vacationing on Cape Cod and I told my dh to pull into an antique shop. We went inside and they were not up and running yet (I am surprised the doors weren't locked). Things were quite disorganized but I immediately spied some old wooden bowls about 9 inches across, ten of them tied together with a ribbon, no price. I asked how much? The owner says, 25 bucks? What a deal!!! I washed them and rubbed olive oil on them and they have this wonderful nutty brown color, they are great for salad but I esp love them for beef stew. I have had them about 12 years and only did the olive oil rub once, and just wash them in the sink with other dishes just making sure they don't sit in the water.

Comment

I use wooden spoons all the time for all different dishes - hot and cold. And, I put them in the dishwasher. What is the problem with the dishwasher? I've been doing this for many many years.
                I am Sew Blessed!
                Alina

Comment

• Maria Sews
                  Maria Sews commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dishwashers that have a heat element at the bottom could burn the wooden spoons if the spoons fell to the bottom onto it but now many dishwashers no longer have the heating element so that fear no longer exists.
                  My dishwasher doesn't have the heater in the bottom (the stainless steel interior retains enough heat from the hot water to dry the dishes) and place wooden spoons in the upper utensil rack.
              Working...
              X