• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Claire Hallman
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2011

Glacier National Park

We have stuck our necks out and booked airplane tickets to Great Falls, Montana for Labor Day weekend [actually 9/3-9/8] and I would love any advice you have about where to stay and what is special to do. Unfortunately we can not hike ☹ but we will rent a car and use the red bus. This is a 50th anniversary trip and I would love it to be nice. Most of the hotels I have seen are rustic, I don't mind rustic but don't want to be back at summer camp.😅
    Any advice is much appreciated.
    Claire from Pelham, Alabama
  • SagedCrone
    Rotary Pro
    • Apr 2015

That's where Rainbow falls is I believe.. Also Lake Mcdonald, where the rocks (the small bedrocks) are all different colors.. lemme find a link..https://www.amusingplanet.com/2016/0...-mcdonald.html there ya go. I want to take my grandaughter there, but..not at this time, maybe later in the summer if all goes well. That's all I can remember right off the bat..enjoy your trip!
    😎 Happy Thread tails and trails

Sage

Comment

• Cokie
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2016

I have not been there in years so I can't make any recommendations, but we went to Glacier on a family vacation when I was growing up, and I still remember how beautiful it was. I hope all goes well and you can enjoy your special vacation.

Comment

• bubba
        Missouri Star
        • Mar 2013

I have never been to Glacier, but my nephew has several times. Kalispell and Whitefish are a lot closer to Glacier than Great Falls is, but at least three hours! If I ever make it to Kalispell, my number one spot to go is Quiltworx. Another must see, for me, is Fiberworks, but they are in Billings which is quite a drive.

Have fun, wherever you end up!
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• JCY
          Missouri Star
          • Jul 2013

We were there over 30 yrs. ago when the kids still were at home. It was during the summer when DH's boys visited, so there were 6 of us in a station wagon. We drove the Going to the Sun Hwy., which is a narrow 2 lane road along the cliffs. DH said never again! It scared the pants off him. But the scenery was so spectacular. We did not stay there or anywhere near by, so I have no advice about lodging. I would just read the reviews & check out the amenities of various places. We were young enough to do some walking, so we took some side trails (not far). It gave the kids time to stretch their legs & burn off some energy. I hope you have a wonderful anniversary trip. Will you be doing Yellowstone, too?

Comment

• LauraP
            Missouri Star
            • Dec 2015

I get a daily newsletter about different states I want to see. One of them is for Montana and they always have stuff about Glacier. [email protected]
            They have gorgeous pictures!
            sigpic

Comment

• Claire Hallman
              Missouri Star
              • Jun 2011

We just plan on flying into Great Falls, staying there the first and last night close to the airport for convenience.
              I am searching for a good hotel near the park and don't know what is best, there seem to be three main areas, north east, midway east and midway on the western side. Is Kalispell to far for day trips? There seem to be more regular hotels there rather than the very expensive and very rustic 😯 hotels actually run by a park service franchisee.
              Thanks everyone for your input.
              Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• Syracuselax
                9 Patch Princess
                • Jun 2018

My husband and I visited GNP in late August/September 2018 on a multi-state road trip. We are moderately active seniors but there is plenty to do that you can enjoy. Don't be impressed with my detailed memories.... I keep a journal! We stayed a couple of nights at st Mary’s lodge. It’s right at the east entrance to the park. They have different types of rooms. I’m on the frugal side so we stayed at the “motel” unit across from the main lodge. My notes say the room was a bit small for the queen or king bed in it but we did ok. We ate a couple of meals at st Mary’s lodge and enjoyed them. We were visiting during wildfires which had reduced visitors (it was safe) and some restaurants had closed early for the season or had limited hours. I booked two boat tours: one at Two Medicine lake, the other at swift current lake. We ate a very nice lunch at many glacier lodge before our swift current lake ride. Ate breakfast at glacier edge cafe which I think was a small restaurant on the road that we turned off to get to our hotel. We also ate at Two Sisters Cafe, which was highly recommended and we enjoyed.
                Our original plan was to drive the Going to the Sun road from the east entrance, thru the park, to the west entrance to spend a few nights. We knew before we arrived that the road was closed at Logan’s pass due to wildfires. So we drove to Logan’s pass, stopping for scenery and then visited visitor center at Logan’s pass. We then drove back to east entrance and around the park to get to west side. We stayed at west glacier/Apgar village inn which was nice. Our original plan was to enjoy a meal at a highly recommended lodge but again we knew it was closed before we started our trip. We decided to keep our hotel reservations as our road trip was continuing to Seattle so we had to go west anyway. The restaurants in the village were already closed for the season due to the fire so we ate at highland restaurant in west glacier and enjoyed our meals. Our only activity were some short hikes. In normal times, there may be boat tours.
                I have notes that it was 47 degrees in September so be prepared for some cool temps.
                i got a lot of information from the website TripAdvisor. You register and you can post questions on the forum and either local people or people familiar with the area answer your questions. I find it very helpful with our road trips.
                hope this helps
                Cheryl (Syracuse,NY)

Comment

Working...
                X