Dusty Night Owl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dusty Night Owl

I ran the vacuum through the house to fix the crunchy carpet. (Leaf bits, fir needles, morsels of alfalfa, straggling strands of straw, tiny pieces that fell off the firewood when it was hauled in, and other random nuggets of nature that get tracked in on a farm.) I happened to hit the master bedroom with full sunlight streaming in. Oh Dear!
    Apparently, we don't spend a lot of time in there during the day! I had cobwebs and dust on the header beam that would have made Morticia Aadams proud. Ok, maybe not quite that bad, but still. Ick! Once I got started, things just snowballed. The furniture, including the 2 spinning wheels, was dusted and lemon oiled. I can see that the room is in serious need of a new coat of paint. (Add that to the list.) I felt better when it was done. There is still a bunch of clothing to sort through. I hate having to decide how many turtlenecks, t-shirts, tank-tops I will really use. This year, no turtlenecks were used, but last year I wore one every day for 2 weeks! Ugh! I'm going to have to set a timer and take it in chunks, or I'll never go back in there to finish.

Anyone else find unexpected things while staying home?
    Forgotten fabric. Patterns put away for later. Dust bunnies behind the oven/stove. Recipes tucked in cookbooks we were going to try one of these days.

I have a couple of Zooms for work tomorrow and then I'm going to head to the Food Backpacks warehouse for a couple of hours to help restock shelves before the gear up for packing the boxes for the weekend.

I hope all is well in your neck of the woods!
    Cathy
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Oh, so much to do! I'm working from home too. We moved in here almost two months ago. It really does need a deep clean. It's overwhelming so I started in my room to organize so I can put everything in its place. Every place I turn I feel like we live in a storage unit. It was a quick move and I have a bad back. It's time to make this place into a home. My creative juices are flowing. So is my inner cleaner. I feel I need to open space or I'll be doing double cleaning.

Tile is a pain to keep clean too. It's an older house and a rental so I'm not doing any expensive things but definitely needs to feel upgraded on a few things. I'm going to spray paint outlet plates. I found where you can diy fabric wallpaper ...it's temporary. With fabric and liquid starch. So kitchen is getting back splash. Shelves and baskets are my friends when your short on storage space. Anyway thanks for the midnight chat!!!

Comment

• toggpine
      toggpine commented
      Editing a comment
      Just the thought of moving gives me hives! Blessing on you!
      We had carpet in the master bathroom when we moved in. Hubby wanted to tile it. I was worried as that room is the last to get heat since we use a woodstove. He put in a radiant floor heat pad. Love it!
      When we had a water leak in the kitchen and the linoleum had to come up, he put tile in there with a heat pad between the sink and the island. The kitchen tile is harder to keep clean. I have tried woven cotton runner rugs, but they catch gunk around the edges and also like to grab shoes/slippers, even with the rubber gripper mat under to hold it in place.
      I found that keeping a broom handy, and a rag with some spray cleaner under the sink are essential for daily stuff. They make a grout brush (think giant, stiff toothbrush) that is very helpful for getting the stuff the family drops and forgets.
      I hope you get everything settled in soon. Continued good wishes on stretching out your back to alleviate your back pain too!

I found 5 jelly rolls, 2 layer cakes and a stash of red, white and blue fabric I had intended to make a Union Jack with - very happy with all that

It's been lovely warm and sunny weather here in England, but a bit cold first thing. I've been doing lots of work in the garden and yesterday I weeded the yard - lots of weeds between the slabs. (In England the yard is a paved area not the whole of what you call a yard over in America. What you call a yard we call a garden - you probably know that already). Today, I've got to mow the lawn and plant some more potted plants in the garden. I think I've been committing a bit of plant cruelty as the the poor things have been in pots for years. As I type this it's 10.32 am and the sun is shining again.

Comment

• toggpine
      toggpine commented
      Editing a comment
      Sheena, I think your yard would be the equivalent of our patio.
      I realized that I have had several roses in pots for nearly 15 years. Not the pretty decorative ones, but the black nursery pots they originally came home in.
      I was working in the office at a plant nursery, and at the end of the season, or if they had ones that got sick, they would offer up the stragglers to the employees to try to nurse back to health.
      Wellll, I brought several home with the intent of creating a small rose garden. It looks like that will finally come to be this fall. I now have the right space, and will need to buy those wedge landscaping bricks to create a raised bed. I was going to do it this summer, but hubby just put pumpkins in my dirt out there. In these times, I guess food out weighs flowers in importance.
      It looks like our sunny stretch may be over for a week or so. It's grey and gently raining out there. This is good as the ground needs a refreshing drink, and I'd rather not spend the money to irrigate this early in the year!
      Happy mowing & planting!

• Sheena
      Sheena commented
      Editing a comment
      Over here a patio is a paved area where you sit out - posher than a yard. A lot of older houses here have a very small area at the back and no garden. I'm so glad I now have a garden. I've had some roses in small pots for about 25 years. Poor things! I must repot them soon. I was going to stay in a B&B this weekend in Keswick. the dogs were coming too and we were going to meet up with other Bedlington Terrier owners. That's not happening now, of course, so last night we went camping in the back garden. The neighbours probably think I'm nuts, but it's a change of scene and routine. It will also help the dogs to remember what camping is. It was a bit cold though.

MM for some reason decided he wanted to clear out the storage room. By clean out the storage room, I mean rearrange how it is now to something new. Why he says nothing with all the stuff of his that is on shelves, but something about the few things of mine he has found in there is beyond me. So far, he has put up two new shelves and moved another.

He did find two boxes from M* that had never been opened. They were from March and May of 2018....of course I have no clue why I ordered that template now, as well as the layer cake that was in the other box!

He said he was going to move something from that room into my sewing room last night while I was sleeping and he was working, but I have not gone up to check on that yet. I told him I wanted it right where it is now, but he insists it can't be there. I have a feeling I will have to be in stealth mode to get it back in there!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Sheena
      Sheena commented
      Editing a comment
      You had two boxes form M* from 2018 and you didn't open them? How could you not open them straight away?
Working...
X