Pantry organizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pantry organizing

I’ve got a beautiful pantry but don’t know how to organize it and I feel a bit foolish. I’ve always had lots of cupboards and little storage now it’s almost opposite, with a good size walk in pantry and limited cupboards. Am I supposed to put my kettles and fry pans in the pantry? Or am I supposed to put can foods in there? I knew with the stay-home order I’d run out of household projects and put this one off until almost last. After this I only have to alphabetize my cleaning supplies (I’m kidding).

bless you for tackling the pantry,
    pantry's normally hold jams, tinned items, baking food supplies, Christmas cakes, top layer of wedding cakes ect, and a small amount of naughty but nice's hidden of course😁
    my gran also put her cheese and milk eggs butter in there, before the ease of a fridge.

anything that does not need daily multiple usage, like kitchen towels, candles or fork handles, can go in there.
    multiple daily usage are items like coffee or tea, bowl of sugar, kettle. washing up attire
    but its your pantry so anything you decide goes.😀

Comment

Try You Tube! I've found some great Pantry Organizing tips there.
      Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
      http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

I'm like you, big pantry, few cabinets. For me, all foods (well those that don't go in the fridge/freezer that is) go into the pantry! The only thing that doesn't is my daily use items: Coffee, sugar bowl, and a few frequently used spices/seasonings, these are left on the counter .

Cabinets are reserved for dishes, glasses/cups, pots, pans, small appliances, etc...

Top shelf of my pantry is for items that are too tall for the other shelves, bottom shelf is for storage containers, extra dish towels/sponges/scrubbies etc.
        I have a wall hanging spice shelf for all my less often used (or bulk) spices.
        Everything else is sorted on the rest of the shelves in a manner that only makes sense to me.

Comment

First, Make sure the shelves are functional and tailored to your storage needs. Yes, you can store anything you like in there. Put heavy and most used items where you can reach then easily.

Comment

I have a pantry cabinet with metal roll out shelves so I can reach everything on the back of the shelf. All my food items go in there. I categorize each shelf,one has all baking supplies in containers, one shelf holds my canned goods (tuna, soups,ect) another pastas, noodles and sauces, and a deep one on the bottom for heavier and larger items such as olive oils, boxes of crackers and such. The top shelf ofthe pantry has a divider for baking pans, and the second one has the metal roll out basket with all the food storage containers.
            If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

All these suggestions are helping. Thank you. I’m still trying to get my kettles organized and don’t want to put them in the pantry but it might be the only way. I’ll keep mulling it over.

Comment

P4080042.JPG
                P4080043.JPG
                this is mine. i rearrange it often though. recently cleaned it up a good bit. also organized my Island drawers with dividers. love that!

Comment

I got some metal pull out drawers from Bed,Bath and Beyond not too long ago and put them in the top shelf in the Island. my pots are in one and small items like plastic containers and such in the other. Saves my back from having to stay bent over hunting items.
                  Last edited by nativetexan; April 8, 2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paisley View Post
                    All these suggestions are helping. Thank you. I’m still trying to get my kettles organized and don’t want to put them in the pantry but it might be the only way. I’ll keep mulling it over.
                    I don't know if this is an option for you but the majority of my pots and pans are in a deep drawer. When we remodeled the cabinet guy included lots of large drawers in the base cabs and I find those so much easier to use than cupboards. In addition to things like cereal, pasta, crackers, canned goods etc I also use my pantry for odd sized or large appliances that I don't use daily. Things like my crockpot, waffle iron, etc.

Comment

If necessary of course you can put pots and pans into your pantry. then maybe use a cabinet or two for grocery items. there are no rules, just what works for you. some people have pots hanging over their stoves. Try something, if it doesn't work well, try something else. Invention is always your friend.

Comment

I keep many of my "pantry" items (things I don't need every day) on metal utility shelves in the bsmt. utility room. E.g., canned goods, salt, pickles, vitamins, dry beans, misc. medical/dental items, etc. Plastic baskets work great for storing smaller items in. One can just pull out the basket to see what's inside. I have a designated pantry in my kitchen (not walk-in), in which I store mixing bowls, skillets, plastic storage containers (that are too big for the cupboards), my food processor, etc. My cupboards are for dishes with two designated shelves for plastic containers/lids of various sizes. The shelves next to my stove contain 2-tiered turntables of spices, which I have organized alphabetically. I store my organic flour & coffee in the freezer. Whatever works for you & your home is okay. There are no rules on organization. It needs to be convenient for you.
                        Last edited by JCY; April 8, 2020, 06:51 PM.

Comment

My "pantry" is like an over-sized armoire in my kitchen. I had purchased some Modular Mates from Tupperware when I moved to my first place. (Mom's kitchen was totally Tupper-ized.) I have 3 large rectangle ones that hold 10# each of flour and sugar. The next size smaller holds 7# of brown sugar. My cupboard is deep enough to hold them 2 deep. I have other 'Mates in there for other dry goods. On the opposite side I have the canned goods arranged in rows. We go through a lot of the petite diced tomatoes and black beans, so they have their own rows. I have a long bin for foil packets of spice mixes we use often (think taco seasonings) and space next to that for Jello and other odd ball items.
                          The other shelves hold Costco-sized boxes of cornbread, Bisquick, cereals, etc. The bottom shelf holds my boxes of 1/2 gallon canning jars with vacuum-sealed dried beans (5 kinds) and the box of 6 jars of rice. I also have my stash of caramel coffee syrup down there!
                          It took a while to find the method that worked best for us and our space. 15+ years and I could still tweak it some.
                          I would take a photo, but it's a hot mess with our family in & out of it during "Stay Home, Stay Safe" days.
                          Last edited by toggpine; April 8, 2020, 10:21 PM.
                          Be who you are and say what you feel
                          because those who mind don't matter,
                          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

image.jpg My pantry or room off laundry room is what sold me on this house. Didn't care what else house came with, this is what sold me. It has sturdy cupboard style shelves attached to wall. Room is 12' tall. Where they had full size fridge & freezer, we have short ones but I added my grid walls, with shelves and hooks. I used to drag these to craft shows but now they are repurposed. Pictures show how I organize, and please don't judge, it is always stocked like this, which is why I don't need to go out except for fresh milk, bread & veggies. But at this time, I have other options. When times were bad, we have invited our dingle sons to come shop our pantry. Now I bring food to older friends who don't go out.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
                            Attached Files

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                              Claire Hallman commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Wish mine was that neat. I need to organize mine and the freezer, too.

• toggpine
                              toggpine commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You should never apologize for a well stocked pantry/freezer!

Laying in supplies when they are plentiful or you have the extra funds is never a bad decision. I can't count the times it has made the difference for us when Eric's work dried up. We ate what we put up. It may not have been fancy, but it was nutritious.

Wow, Suzanne that is very nicely organized!! I love it. it makes me feel peaceful when i see things organized. you'd think I'd do more of that myself!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                              SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks Claire. I didn't show the pile on the floor. On a low shelf, we kept our bags ready to go sailing. Since we haven't gone in 2-3 years, it's time to relocate it, or dump it. Unfortunately we the sale of our boat is on hold given the club is closed until further notice.
                          Working...
                          X