Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CraftyJnet
    commented on 's reply
    I'm glad you are going to wear a mask. Here is an article about the benefits: https://www.wired.com/story/its-time...M70eh1s2fVrgJY

• JCY
    replied
    I made my first mask today ~ I wanted to wear a mask when I went out for PT this afternoon. The first two were not workable. The 3rd one was not perfect, but ok. I discovered the 6" x 9" dimensions Jenny gave were too small. I used 7" instead of 6" so it would cover the face better, & I cut the elastic shorter by a good inch or so. Also, I did only 1 tuck in the middle instead of 2. Less bulk to sew over. I also put a pipe cleaner along the top to form it around my nose. I used 2 layers of cotton fabric. Even then it was hot! One of the tutorials I watched on line showed putting a layer of flannel in the middle of 2 layers of cotton -- she used 3 layers. That created way too much bulk to sew through. I may make 1-2 more so I'll have a spare.

There sure were fewer cars on the streets today. I need to venture out tomorrow for some groc. shopping.

Leave a comment:

• CraftyJnet
    replied
    Good afternoon all!
    Taking a break from mask making. My stash is looking depleted of solid colors. I'm going to have to start using prints soon. It feels good to help people and deplete my stash. It seems the need for masks keeps going up. I'm grateful I can watch a tutorial and learn how to make them. I hope you all have a fantastic day.

Leave a comment:

• LauraP
    commented on 's reply
    "They" say to combat weight gain during this isolation you should wear your bathing suit instead of pj's all day. Not me!!!!

• 201 Treadler
    replied
    Hello friends,
    Wednesday already, himself suggested one of those day clocks so we can keep up
    did some sewing really enjoyed, but the stitch length keeps altering without lever moving, so have been treadling slower to achieve the right length, will need to investigate if anything has become loose.
    today have lost power, so have been recharging in the sunshine, both purrs have supported me through this,😀
    we all listened to Matchmaker can be murder, by Amanda flowers.
    we are having tomato, mince, onion, herbs, sauce with long lengths rounds of pasta, for tea.
    Have a great day
    T

Leave a comment:

• chelea
    replied
    Got a good long walk in yesterday. Today woke with a nasty migraine (is there any other kind?) and while it's gone now, I'm feeling kind of punk so no walk today. It's cloudy and 40, not pleasant walking weather anyway. We did take out for dinner last night, French meat pie, yum!!

Quilting got pushed aside yesterday after an email came from the nursing home administrator where DH is on the board. They have no cases of coronavirus among residents or staff and are taking staff temps prior to start of shift. Like everywhere else, no visitors for the past many weeks. So they would like to step it up and provide all staff (including dietary and housekeeping etc.) with masks to be worn at all times to protect residents from staff that could be asymptomatic carriers. This is the top nursing home in the state and they're not taking any chances. Kudos to them. Of course there isn't any elastic or bias tape anywhere (why didn't I get some before this!?!) so I used Jenny's tutorial and made some with binding strips. This pattern is quick and fun to stitch. I ordered some elastic from Amazon and it will get here next week sometime. I might try some other patterns too.

Hope you all are staying busy and in good spirits...

Leave a comment:

• Rhonda K
    replied
    Good morning,

Taking time out of the office today for some stitching time. Hopefully, a couple of masks and then on to other projects. Dinner will be chicken breast with rice, mushrooms, onions and provolone cheese. It's a layered one dish meal after the ingredients are cooked. I've been looking forward to cooking our dinners again.

Leave a comment:

• MRoy
    replied
    Good morning! I'm trying to get 2 months' worth of prescription refills today. Our insurance company says they will cover early refills, so I hope it works. I could make it without my meds, but DH is type 2 diabetic with high BP and needs his medicines. There was an incorrect report of a CV case in our county yesterday, it was a negative test that was incorrectly entered into the reporting system as positive. But there are confirmed cases in just about every county around ours, so it's probably just a matter of time.
    I weighed this morning expecting the # to be up, but I was pleasantly surprised that I've not gained with the snacking I've done. I'm still overweight, but no more than I was pre-CV. That's something to celebrate this April Fool's day. Stay home, stay safe, save a life.

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied
    Good Morning Everyone...It's a beautiful morning. Jeff is already outdoors trimming bushes. I'm working on the laundry. The Girls are playing and whining because they aren't outdoors with Jeff.

I'm quite tired after our grocery haul yesterday. I still have several things to deal with and pack away. Hugs...........

Leave a comment:

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
    replied
    Good morning everyone,
    This virus is the biggest April fool's nightmare that I wish would go away. But we will survive.

Yesterday morning, I went through fridges and prepped vegetables to freeze by portions to make small soup and pot pies. Also made some small freezer meals. After lunch, we got 'the call' that my FIL passed (separate posting). DH was up past 2am, and I've been up since 4am. Going to be need a nap later. We contacted relatives in US and Canada. DH family is dwindling, 3 have passed in 2020, and just 2 aunts 92 & 97, a handful of cousins remain. We will stay here and remember him, and plan a celebration later this year or 2021.

I spoke to mom also. She said she had a nightmare and screamed, bringing staff to her side. She said she was seeing explosion & flames coming from ceiling. I tried to calm her, but afterwards I remembered. About 6 yrs ago, there was a fire on her wing, few doors down. While she was able to get herself prepared while she waited to be wheeled out, she looked out and saw flames coming from her friend's room. Her friend was ok. She hasn't thought of it much, but during that time they were brought to basement in large room and were housed there for a week until they were moved to other rooms for another month. She was lonely and scared, and I was there a lot. This is simular period of isolation. I realized this is PTSD, and a flashback in time. I will talk to her about ths.

This morning I sewed the binding and will deliver to my GF who will pass to another quilter to handsew. Trying to keep everyone busy. I will also pick up 3 dozen of fresh eggs from her, and drop some off to my daughter.

Enjoy your day. Be safe. Stay strong.

8591 / 101

Leave a comment:

• JulieC
    replied
    Good morning!

I just checked the weather -- looks like today will be in the mid-40's and cloudy. Not too bad for this time of year.

Bunny received a good report from the vet yesterday. They had the parking spaces marked with numbers, when I called I had to tell them which spot I was in. I noticed the techs were wearing homemade masks.

I have a couple of leads on non-woven interfacing to make masks. I'm debating between picking up from a JoAnn's store about a half an hour away, or ordering from a different source online which would require delivery through the mail. I want to make a couple of masks for one of my co-workers; she has an underlying medical condition that makes her high risk. The local hardware store has some wire.

I also need to run up to the grocery store to buy some greens for the bunny. The selection on Sunday morning was not good at all.

Have a wonderful day!

Leave a comment:

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
    replied
    Originally posted by Monique View Post

To start off I had a video chat with the birthday girl last night.

Son's girlfriend just informed me that someone where she works has the virus. She works at a large senior's home where there are 1500 employees. We would appreciate prayers for everyone.

Suzanne, I hope your Mom isn't in the nursing home where two have tested for the virus.
    We will be participating in our Matilda's 8th birthday this weekend. Parents are trying yo get us all linked up. It should be interesting.

My mom is not at that residence where 2 seniors tested. It's not a nursing home, so people weren't on strict lockdown at first.

Mom is at Bruyere - St-Louis Residence in Orleans. It's a large facility with over 250 residents, so probably over 1000 employees. So far residents are ok, but there is risk with staff coming and going. Before this happened, the 2nd floor was off limits due to respiratory and gastro. This seems to happen every year after xmas & spreads throughout, but this year it was contained to that floor which has many dementia patients. Where does girlfriend work? Sad to hear 13 people died in a small facility.

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied
    Good Morning, Everyone ~ What a gorgeous day we had yest. The high temp. was 76 deg. A bit breezy. It was too nice to stay indoors. Even though I knew the work would aggravate my hip, I worked outside about 1 hr. I cut back the 2 clematis & trimmed back the dead stalks on a few perennials. No pulling of weeds, but at least it spruced up the bed by the front porch. The soil was very dry so I hand watered.

I'm hoping maybe DS#2 will be able to help me some in the yard to earn some extra $ on his week ends. He's not getting a full 40 hrs. at his job. But at least he's working. I'd rather pay him than the lawn service. He said they were going to be issuing masks & gloves to be worn at work (Walmart distribution warehouse) & everyone will need to have their temp. checked when they come to work. If anyone has an incr. temp. they'll be sent home.

This a.m. is our Zoom mtg. for Bible Study Fellowship class discussion. I'm thankful for modern technology & our ability to "socialize" even from home. I'm also thankful for YT, for wonderful inspirational music and all those quilting videos!
    😉 I have my first PT session at 1:30.

Leave a comment:

• KPH
    replied
    Good Morning All,

I'm up early. No home school for me this week, I guess. Morgan is off and I sent a stack and a half for Jonathan to work on. I guess I'm getting my wish that the parents would be more involved with Jonathan's school work, but I didn't mean it like this!

I made 7 nurses caps yesterday. Jim came and picked them up once the kids were down for the night. Morgan said everyone on her shift wants them. They'd buy the fabric. I told Jim to tell them not to worry about fabric or elastic right now. I'll work until I use up the big pieces of my stash. I needed to get rid of some of it. It takes a little less than a yard to make 2, I have a lot of fabric bins to go through.

Time to get cranking those caps out, do a couple of loads of laundry and I'm sure drink a lot of coffee. Have a great day!

Leave a comment:

• Ginny B
    replied
    Good morning Monique and all to follow. I woke up early this morning and decided to get some laundry done. I have been having difficulty getting motivated in the morning so I was happy that I felt like getting up and moving closer to my "normal" rise and shine time.

We are supposed to have some sunshine later to day so I see a nice long walk in our future. I am also planning on being in my sewing room today too.

Monique, sounds like Maizyn had a good birthday.

​​​​​​​Have a good day everyone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X