Flabergasted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flabergasted

We have been staying home, only going to the grocery store once a week for milk and fresh produce, if we can get it. Week by week, I'm surprised by the new measures I see at the store to prevent spread of the virus. It's a good thing. People are still ignoring the guidelines, but the store is doing what it can to keep everyone safe. Prices have gone up quite a bit, and there are shortages here, but it is what it is. What really got me today is the price of my prescriptions.......In less than a month one has gone up over $100.00 and another has gone up $13.00. This is for a 30 day supply. Is anyone else seeing these kinds of increases?
    Barbara

The price of eggs has gone up quite a bit here. Sadly, the price of gas is way down, and we're too housebound to enjoy it! πŸ™

Comment

• bubba
      bubba commented
      Editing a comment
      MM told me when he got has the other day, it was $2.26!!! Down a dollar from two weeks ago! Washington state has high taxes on gas that most the other states don't.

• MAMSAN
      MAMSAN commented
      Editing a comment
      My daughter sells free range, eggs for $6.00 a doz has for 3-4 years now.....same price as the grocery.
      Only difference is that people are coming from 50-75 miles or so to buy them

Our Rx have stayed the same. I have heard though that some items are hard to get because of supply chain issues
    β€œWhat we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

How could I have forgotten? The price of my sister's Jelly Belly's has doubled! I already warned her not to expect a 2 lb. bag for Easter this year. 😒

Comment

• BarbaraB
        BarbaraB commented
        Editing a comment
        My hubby loves them and it's a tradition that I get him a pound every Easter. Although, I suppose the store is probably closed now.....

• K. McEuen
        K. McEuen commented
        Editing a comment
        Jelly Belly keeps running ads on Facebook

• JulieC
        JulieC commented
        Editing a comment
        I usually buy them from Amazon. The local grocery store typically stocks only the small bags for $4.

Yes and it made me mad. I buy nuts on Amazon in bulk. The last time I bought a 2lb bag of pecans it was 13.50 and now it's 18.00. I was wondering at the time if I should put it on subscription and changed my mind. dang it
      "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Prices are skyrocketing in our area of PA. Yes, I do understand that perhaps distributors are raising prices and the groceries and other essential stores are having to put that out to the customers. That and, of course, the other issues of cleaning. I still think it is price gouging. The big chains will stay in business and have us as captive customers. Sad times for those companies who have been declared non-essential. Stay safe, everyone. Please continue to take this things seriously. I can't believe there are folks out there who aren't, but have seen their behaviors.
        β€œOf all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
        β€œWe can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

Haven't personally seen any price gouging here. Yesterday we ventured out to get some fresh items and gas was $1.44. DSIL sent over some Peeps for me the other day (my once-a-year indulgence) and WM had them for $1.23. Same price as last year (could they be leftovers? LOL)
          No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
          Aesop

Comment

I've yet to notice any general increase in pricing since all this began, but who knows what the price might be on some items when they are finally back in stock (think toilet paper).

It's funny that the price of gas has dropped to this point- just when they don't want us to go anywhere. Now if the price jumps back up the minute the travel restriction is relaxed, we'll know we're getting screwed.
            You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

It's interesting to see what is flying off the shelves, and this varies by grocery stores. Gas has been dropping, not because of the virus but because of dispute between Middle East countries.

Shortage of frozen foods, vegetables, baking supplies, canned goods. Still lots of fresh vegetables - however one store has more than tripled its price, so they sit on shelf then they have to reduce them. Seems counterproductive. Meat is still widely available but with a lot less people buying, there have been incredible in-store sales.

The Premier of our province has publicly called out stores that are price gouging, and legislation has been passed to go after these stores. Also there's a new hotline to report price gouging. I think this was first spurred when people were stocking up on Lysol wipes. One store had raised the price to $30. Really! They will probably end up closing store as people were infuriated and boycott.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
                It's interesting to see what is flying off the shelves, and this varies by grocery stores. Gas has been dropping, not because of the virus but because of dispute between Middle East countries.

Shortage of frozen foods, vegetables, baking supplies, canned goods. Still lots of fresh vegetables - however one store has more than tripled its price, so they sit on shelf then they have to reduce them. Seems counterproductive. Meat is still widely available but with a lot less people buying, there have been incredible in-store sales.

The Premier of our province has publicly called out stores that are price gouging, and legislation has been passed to go after these stores. Also there's a new hotline to report price gouging. I think this was first spurred when people were stocking up on Lysol wipes. One store had raised the price to $30. Really! They will probably end up closing store as people were infuriated and boycott.
                Good for Doug Ford. Stores should not be taking advantage of the situation and called out if they do.
                Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                  SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am impressed that he has really stepped up to the plate in this fight. This was not my previous opinion of him.

I went grocery shopping today - a day early, because I figure Thurs and Fri will be busy days due to retired people getting their checks. I still work - sort of. I last worked 3-19 when our shop closed for a week due to pressure, then stayed closed due to the gov. closing almost everything. I am actually thankful to be laid off right now. I have several memorial quilts to make plus a comfort quilt that I will bind later today.
                Of course our local media had said that people were "stockpiling eggs" which is dumb because it's almost Easter, and people always buy lot of eggs around Easter time. No one is stockpiling them, but now that the media has spoken, they will be.
                I got 2 18ct [$1.48 ea] cartons no problem, but they did have a limit on them. I found the ones I bought over by the milk [which was also a decent price] , and later I found the rest of the eggs with a sign saying "Limit 1" I kept the 2 I had in my cart hoping they wouldn't going to enforce it. [they didn't] There are 2 grocery stores I shop at, and because I alternate my lists between the two, I wouldn't be going to another one in a week, and after today, because of the media [and Easter], there won't be any eggs left anywhere. I did not notice any raised prices at the Kroger I went to. All the meat was limit of 2 per animal - 2 chicken, 2 beef, ect. I only got some beef because the only chicken left was legs and thighs. but now that I think about it, there is only us two. What if we had a big family? Would 2 per animal be enough?
                No personal checkout, though. All U-scan, and they closed some of them to allow more distance between customers.
                Shopping is a pain now because I follow our hospital procedure [whenever we went to a hospital - which was a lot last year - we wore sweats, and when we got home we'd strip at the door, toss everything in the wash, jump in the shower, and put on clean clothes] plus now I put a garbage bag down inside my front door, and put all the grocery bags on it. Then I take each item out of the grocery store bag, and wipe it all down with disinfectant, then place on a clean surface. Once all is wiped, I take the bag on the floor with the now empty grocery bags on it, and turn it to tuck all the bags inside of it, then tie it and place in the outside garbage can. Then I change my clothes. Then I put the stuff away. Good thing I have enough for several weeks. Yes, I even wiped down the bananas. Not sure how to do the potatoes since they weren't in a bag. The bagged one were all sold out, and Rachel Ray had twice baked ones on TV yesterday.
                I can hardly wait till next week . . .
                Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Whoo hoo! πŸŽ‰ I found Jelly Belly's at the local Fresh Thyme in the bulk food area. They were in one of those containers where you press a lever to dispense the product. The jelly beans were $1 off per pound, too! Looks like my sister will be getting her Jelly Belly's after all! πŸ˜€

Comment

whoops posted in wrong place
                    Last edited by 201 Treadler; April 1st, 2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

I have noticed grocery prices have increased, but not to the point that I would call it price gouging, more like supply and demand.

But my most annoying grocery store observation was another customer. Since I was at the store anyway, DH and I wanted steaks for dinner and they were on sale so why not indulge ourselves, right? There was a woman standing in front of the steaks, so I kept my distance while she made her choice, but it seems she must have left her reading glasses at home, as she picked up every single package one by one and held the package of steaks within 3 inches of her nose to read the label. and no, she wasn't wearing a mask either. I offered her my reading glasses, but she responded "Not with this virus going around!" Get a clue lady!
                      Needless to say, we didn't have steaks for dinner that night.

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post
                        I went grocery shopping today - a day early, because I figure Thurs and Fri will be busy days due to retired people getting their checks. I still work - sort of. I last worked 3-19 when our shop closed for a week due to pressure, then stayed closed due to the gov. closing almost everything. I am actually thankful to be laid off right now. I have several memorial quilts to make plus a comfort quilt that I will bind later today.
                        Of course our local media had said that people were "stockpiling eggs" which is dumb because it's almost Easter, and people always buy lot of eggs around Easter time. No one is stockpiling them, but now that the media has spoken, they will be.
                        I got 2 18ct [$1.48 ea] cartons no problem, but they did have a limit on them. I found the ones I bought over by the milk [which was also a decent price] , and later I found the rest of the eggs with a sign saying "Limit 1" I kept the 2 I had in my cart hoping they wouldn't going to enforce it. [they didn't] There are 2 grocery stores I shop at, and because I alternate my lists between the two, I wouldn't be going to another one in a week, and after today, because of the media [and Easter], there won't be any eggs left anywhere. I did not notice any raised prices at the Kroger I went to. All the meat was limit of 2 per animal - 2 chicken, 2 beef, ect. I only got some beef because the only chicken left was legs and thighs. but now that I think about it, there is only us two. What if we had a big family? Would 2 per animal be enough?
                        No personal checkout, though. All U-scan, and they closed some of them to allow more distance between customers.
                        Shopping is a pain now because I follow our hospital procedure [whenever we went to a hospital - which was a lot last year - we wore sweats, and when we got home we'd strip at the door, toss everything in the wash, jump in the shower, and put on clean clothes] plus now I put a garbage bag down inside my front door, and put all the grocery bags on it. Then I take each item out of the grocery store bag, and wipe it all down with disinfectant, then place on a clean surface. Once all is wiped, I take the bag on the floor with the now empty grocery bags on it, and turn it to tuck all the bags inside of it, then tie it and place in the outside garbage can. Then I change my clothes. Then I put the stuff away. Good thing I have enough for several weeks. Yes, I even wiped down the bananas. Not sure how to do the potatoes since they weren't in a bag. The bagged one were all sold out, and Rachel Ray had twice baked ones on TV yesterday.
                        I can hardly wait till next week . . .
                        Another reason I like staying home better now. It is quite the production to go shopping for food. i take all sort of precautions like this. I wash may long hair, leave my shoes in the garage, leave any shelf items in the garage after wiping them down just to be sure. Teh cold stuff gets wiped down but not sure how effective it is when you put it in the fridge immediately.

Comment

Working...
                        X