Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things I'm finding out about myself during Social Distancing/Stay At Home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had high ambitions of cleaning one room extra good a day . That lasted one day. I cleaned my bathroom and bed room took the cleaning supplies and put them in the hall bath that is where they have been all week. I started cleaning out a closet and their is large pile of OLD clothes in the floor. I am finding it hard to concentrate and stay with one task until done.

Craftyjnet, I have a lab and can see the piles of dog hair on the floor. I sweep everyday and it does no good.

I worry about my grandkids and I miss them. Even though we talk on the phone and I get pictures its not the same. I am also worried about our country and how fast its spreading.
    Last edited by TMP; March 27, 2020, 01:09 AM.

Comment

I delivered some masks I made to my DIL yeterday, the family stood on their deck and we stayed on the driveway but it was so good to see and speak to them. We do plan on a store run today for fresh things [I hope] but other than that we are pretty much doing our normal retired, hermit life.

Comment

Originally posted by TMP View Post

Craftyjnet, I have a lab and can see the piles of dog hair on the floor. I sweep everyday and it does no good.

Exactly! I vacuum once a week and that's it. I could sweep and vacuum every day but it does no good.

Jeannette

Comment

I discovered that my decades of germophobia have well prepared me for these unusual days. I'm really good at disinfecting surfaces and using Purelle on my hands at every possible point of contamination. This whole episode has made family members who used to laugh at me, look at me with respect! OK, I exagerate. A little.

But what I discovered new about myself is that I actually can plan ahead and cook every night. We used to eat out 2-3 times per week (remember my old signature: "If I sit here long enough, maybe they'll make their own dinner."). But not now. Woo hoo! I have a freezer full of grass-fed beef AND I'm remembering to defrost in time. Ah, how we are beginning to appreciate the simpler things in life.
          Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

I'm going to start with the point that I do love my family and they are worth the time.

I miss just doing the shopping and house cleaning for just my household. I am spending one day of my week making a family (Mom&Dad, Sister, & us) grocery run and cleaning the house for my parents. It might not take all day if I could find everything in one store. Although I will say it is better this week than last.

I am also finding it hard to focus on one thing for any length of time. I've found if I break the bigger stuff down into steps, I can get more of it done.
            I still hate deciding what is for dinner, even though it doesn't bother me to actually make it.

My sewing room may never be tidy again, just in case any of you wondered!
            Be who you are and say what you feel
            because those who mind don't matter,
            and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I have learned that if/when I retire, I will need some sort of a schedule. I'm making it a point to get up and go to bed at my regular time, no matter how tempting it is to try to sleep in a little! I figure it will save me from having to adjust again when the stay at home order is lifted. I do look forward to sleeping in after retirement.

I had high hopes of cleaning during breaks from work, only to discover that much like Caroline, I also prefer to do anything other than housework. My one sister and I are fond of saying we were not born with the housekeeping gene! 😁 However, I am finding that the mess bothers me more now that I'm here to see it.

I should have bought paper plates, being home for three meals a day makes for a lot of dishes!

When I retire, I definitely want to have a pet of some sort to keep me company. Maybe a dog? I've always said that I'm waiting until retirement to get a dog.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                Editing a comment
                Also not born with housecleaning gene. I try to convince myself that if things aren't messy and no clutter, I trick myself in believing things are clean.

• Nwmnteacher
                Nwmnteacher commented
                Editing a comment
                I tell myself that creative people make messes and leave clutter!

I finished up a quilt I was working on and feel accomplished. I fixed dinner and we are nourished. I showered and I am clean. DH will shower today, so he will be clean. House??????????? Not so much!!! I too never received the “housecleaning genes”.... With no one allowed to socialize why bother??? Stay well everyone...

Comment

In days gone by ..,,,I was cleaning constantly…. now, I can pass by something, write my name in the dust and keep going!
                When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
                Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I started out with the same thoughts. I was going to do a room a day to give me something to do. Then I found myself doing other things, so I didn't have time to clean...well, I did, but I didn't. 🙄
                  :icon_hiya: Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Comment

THE RULES OF HOUSECLEANING

Vacuuming too often weakens the carpet fibers. Say this with a serious face, and shudder delicately whenever anyone mentions Carpet Fresh.

Layers of dirty film on windows and screens provide a helpful filter against harmful and aging rays from the sun. Call it an SPF factor of 5 and leave it alone.

Cobwebs artfully draped over lampshades reduces the glare from the bulb, thereby creating a romantic atmosphere. If your husband points out that the light fixtures need dusting, simply look affronted and exclaim, "What? And spoil the mood?"

In a pinch, you can always claim that the haphazard tower of unread magazines and newspapers next to your chair provides the valuable Feng Shui aspect of a tiger, thereby reducing your vulnerability. Roll your eyes when you say this.

If unexpected company is coming, pile everything unsightly into one room and close the door. As you show your guests through your tidy home, rattle the door knob vigorously, fake a growl and say, "I'd love you to see our den, but Fluffy hates to be disturbed and the shots are SO expensive."

If dusting is REALLY out of control, simply place a showy urn on the coffee table and insist that "THIS is where Grandma wanted us to scatter her ashes..."

Don't bother repainting. Simply scribble lightly over a dirty wall with an assortment of crayons, and try to muster a glint of tears as you say, "Junior did this the week before that unspeakable accident... I haven't had the heart to clean it..."

Mix one-quarter cup pine-scented household cleaner with four cups of water in a spray bottle. Mist the air lightly. Leave dampened rags in conspicuous locations. Develop an exhausted look, throw yourself onto the couch, and sigh, "I clean and I clean and I still don't get anywhere..."

When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
                    Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

• Cathy F
                      Cathy F commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This made me laugh! Especially the film on the windows. I have a glass sunroom with a fireplace and it will make the windows dirty during the winter, so thank you for this excuse!

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh Katie, love it. you have made me laugh today. I'm sure it's not easy, but your writings are beautiful and you need to keep it up. Hugs across the miles.

• SallyO'Sews
                      SallyO'Sews commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks, Kathryn! I love this!
                  Working...
                  X