Funeral Homes Adjust to New Normal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funeral Homes Adjust to New Normal

This was the headline on an article today in our local newspaper. It gave me pause for thought. What if...? While we have friends locally, 3 of the 4 sons & families live in other states. Who wants to risk air travel now?

Life goes on, and so does death. But the end of life has taken on a new dimension in the age of COVID-19. While the funeral industry has not had to face, at least not yet, an onslaught of deaths from the C-virus, other deaths continue and families are finding that they aren't able to have the final send-off they otherwise would want for their loved ones.

Most funeral homes are abiding by the requests & directives of the governmental authorities & are limiting family gatherings. In most cases, funeral directors are recommending immediate cremation or burial of bodies, with memorial services scheduled for a later, undetermined date. Some families are doing small gatherings for a graveside burial. Another option would be to have a small service which would be streamed on line. My how our world has changed in just the past 2 weeks!
    😞

I recommend your reading Bonnie Hunter's blog today about C-19, taking the situation seriously, etc. She posted an article written by a doctor which puts things in perspective & shows the sacrifices health care workers are taking. I believe Bonnie has canceled all her April workshops & may cancel May's as well. Only time will tell how long we'll need to stay hunkered down & limit our activities.

it is a difficult time for sure. We have a family friend in the business, trained to help and comfort families. For so many people/cultures funerals and burial customs are so strong it makes a difficult time even more painful and the options are limited as to what they can do to help families
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Several years ago DH and I made our arrangements (cremation all expenses prepaid no matter where in the world we die). We did this so our children would not be faced with difficult decisions when the time came. On a sad note DH's brother just lost his wife. She was convalescing from a stroke in a nursing home when this virus hit. He could not visit her and when she took a turn for the worse and had to go to hospital he was not allowed to be with her. Unfortunately she had no family with her when she passed Sunday evening. This virus is touching all our lives even if we do not directly contract it.
      Thank you all for being here to support each other.
      No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
      Aesop

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
        Editing a comment
        So sorry for your family loss, and traumatic not to be there with family member.

All notices lately indicate that gatherings and celebrations of life are deferred.

Yesterday, my husband's nephew was allowed to visit DH's dad in senior résidence. They have made exception in his case. Since his latest fall last week, he has not been doing well, and they fear he has little time. If he passes, we will not be able to fly. We have made arrangements that he be buried and family will get together at a later date when this has passed. This whole situation makes him very anxious.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
      X