Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chelea
    commented on 's reply
    We'd all better start making baby quilts!!

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
    commented on 's reply
    Laura - you got that right. I had a business making baby items. After 911, winters with record snowfalls, natural disasters - I did really well 9-10 months later.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
    commented on 's reply
    I am also appalled and ashamed of people walking, jogging, picnicking in Vancouver and not respecting social sitancong, especially since this is province where first 4 deaths were recorded. I believe there will now be severe fines for those who ignore.
    Sad to hear this morning news, that Prince Charles has tested positive. Stay safe T.

• JCY
    commented on 's reply
    Baby Boom ~ Remember the volcanic eruption of Mt. St. Helens in WA? People had to stay indoors to avoid breathing the ash fallout. In N. ID 9 mos. afterwards, they had a baby explosion in the local hospital. I've been seeing many more walkers in the neighborhood -- people out with their kids & dogs.

• LauraP
    commented on 's reply
    and in 9 months more babies for grandmas to love! Not any of mine but somebodies

• chelea
    replied
    The Gov of our state finally issued a stay-at-home order effective at noon today. We've been avoiding being out in public for a couple of weeks with the exception of the grocery store. The grocery delivery/curbside pick-up services have been overwhelmed so there aren't any appointments available for at least 2 weeks. Hubs will make a grocery run tomorrow during the seniors-only hours from 6-7:30am. All our adult kids and their families are working from home, except for DIL, who is a teacher. DGD's state cancelled school for the remainder of the year...she's lucky her mom is a teacher! (maybe she doesn't think so, haha).
    I'm grateful for FaceTime which has enabled us to keep in touch with everyone. And we have a Family text group so we "talk" to each other all day, sending pics, videos of our pets, jokes, recipes...there are 8 of us and we have a lot of fun doing that.
    Yesterday I had a doctor's appointment on video chat...it worked really well.
    I've been working on putting back together the quilt top I deconstructed. I decided to arrange the 5" pinwheels into a nine patch and separate the groups with 2" sashing. We'll see. I just want it finished.
    Two days ago I started the ingredients for sourdough. It'll be a long process, taking at least 10 days to get to the finish line. There has been no yeast at the market...everyone must have fired up their bread machines at the same time.
    I can't help but think there will be a whole host of positives that come out of these trying times. Folks spending time at home, drawing closer to their family, cooking, baking, eating together, walking together, playing games. Just slowing down our crazy, busy lives.

Leave a comment:

• 201 Treadler
    replied
    Hi friends
    well, it was on the news a lot of people were at tourist areas, over the weekend.
    really a deadly virus and your enjoying the sun!!. please be safe people.
    This has now led to BJ pm to make UK citizens to comply with stay at home rules, There will be fines if they do not.
    Spock said in a star trek movie something on the lines of " the needs of the many, out way the needs of the one"
    not a bad saying.
    My pfm reading dropped yesterday, followed the 'plan of action' am back to normal parameters today, been trying to organise myself, to sort errands, to save going out for anything..
    Been steaming, and resting, there are 4 masks made, but more cut out.
    Found out 'take on me' by A-ha the 'comic' video song has reached a billion views on Youtube, that is amazing. Was listening to A-ha when himself came through door all he heard was raptures cheers and applause, so he said thank you with a smile
    Happy stitching, baking, cooking, ebook reading/listening, or enjoying the wireless enjoy whatever you do
    T

Leave a comment:

• Cokie
    replied
    Today was my first day working from home and I have to say I didn't like it much. My work laptop runs slow from home, and I had to figure out how to be able to print things to our home printer. DH helped me get set up for that. I managed to get things done just as if I had been at work, but working at the dining room table and sitting on a hard chair isn't exactly the best. I finally got a pillow to sit on and that helped. I'm just thankful I'm still working, as is my DS. He works at a place that makes nutritional supplements and they have some pretty big clients. He doesn't really like the job but it pays the bills for now - that's what I keep reminding him. This virus is really scary to me. I'm glad I can work from home part of the time but when I allow my mind to wander at how much our world has changed in such a short time, it's frightening. We have everything we need to stay at home, but just knowing that we need to stay at home and that many of the places we like to go are closed...I'm feeling pretty anxious about all of it. Hope everyone stays healthy and safe!

Leave a comment:

• kimsophia
    replied
    This morning at 6:30 a.m. my husband decided to go to the grocery store without consulting with me. Yes, we were making up a list but he didn't need to go as we still had enough food for a week more and I was really enjoying feeling relaxed about him not going out. But he's awake nights and I'm awake days and I hadn't gotten out of bed yet and I heard the garage door rumble and he was gone. So while he was gone I got the gloves and sanitizer ready. He said the store was not busy. The first hour of being open is reserved for the elderly and immunocompromised. When he got home he threw his clothes in the laundry and took a shower (only at my request). This is a guy who had a level 3 AIDS research lab in his building at work and knows about viruses but I'm the one sanitizing. This is a bad time to have an anxiety disorder. Frankly I did well not to explode at him. If you slap somebody with gloves on could that knock some germs on you? lolol Argh!!!

Leave a comment:

• toggpine
    replied
    Our governor gave the stay at home order yesterday. Eric's last day of work will be Wednesday. He primarily works alone on his projects and in chemical PPE, so in theory, he could continue to work. He is not going to.
    I'm going to need a Honey Do List if we are going to make it through the next 2 weeks with all 3 of us at home.

I hauled out all of the recycling today and crushed the cans on an empty cardboard box to make sure there was plenty of space in the curbside bin. Somebody hasn't been emptying thier beer cans before he puts them in the house bin. There was a yucky, yeasty, sludge that oozed out. Yea! Let's add, mopping the kitchen floor with bleach, to my list of fun things to do today. I'm not sure what happened to my mop, but it wasn't where it should be, so let's modify that to hand-scrubbing the floor with bleach. Grrrr.

I'm going to have lunch, then go to my sewing room for some tidying up in that department. I'm sure I will find some hidden treasures in there. That will be sure to brighten my day.

If you are making masks and you can't find elastic, just make ties. My daughter in law says they use the tie ones in the OR because they are less likely to trap bacteria.

Leave a comment:

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
    commented on 's reply
    I have worn the mask going out, not because I am sick, but it reminds people to stand back. It makes them wonder, and think.

• JCY
    replied
    My shopping experience this a.m. ~ I ate an early breakfast & headed out to the stores for groceries. There were many shoppers in the store, but it wasn't crazy. People were courteous & patient. I had a long list. I was able to get most of the items I wanted. No T.P. on the shelves. Kleenex (very few on the shelf) were limited to 1 box. Bottled water (1 gal. distilled) was limited to 1 gal. I was able to get all the produce I needed. My favorite XL Egglands Best veg. fed eggs were available; limit was 3 doz., which is what I usually buy every week. Arm & Hammer perfume & dye free laundry detergent was unavailable as were the Anasazi dry beans. I may have to order them directly from the supplier in SW Colo. Shoppers with >20 items in their carts were instructed to line up in a long row down a certain aisle. & were directed one by one to the open check stands. The line was all the way along one wall to the back. Folks with <20 items were sent to the self-scan area but were given help. Someone was in the cart area to wipe down the handles as carts came back. There were no wipes in the usual spot.

At Whole Foods, there was no turkey bacon of any kind. That was the main item I went for. All I bought was some asparagus & some Stevia. There was no baking yeast. None of the self-serve food areas were open. No self-serve cookies or pastries. Everything was either wrapped in cellophane or packaged up in plastic containers. The eating-in area was closed with chairs up on the tables. There also was a long line up to wait for a checker, & they had someone wiping down cart handles.

When I was shopping, I saw just a few people with face masks and/or gloves, or both. Many of the store employees were wearing gloves.

Leave a comment:

• geegeequilts
    replied
    I agree wholeheartedly with Granny Fran, stay safe, sane , happy. I'd like to add one thing more...stay busy. Time passes a little faster if you're not watching the clock or calendar. Now is a great time to do a bit of spring cleaning. Gina

Leave a comment:

• Granny Fran
    replied
    I keep hearing about making masks and my DH reminded me that you only need to wear them if you are ill to keep from spreading germs from sneezing or coughing. If you are well you do not need them. Makes sense why drs and nurses need them in heath care situations. Of course, staying at home is the best prevention of all. Wearing a mask is a good way to remind yourself not to touch your face, however.
    I applaud all of you doing something to help others at this time. Being in the group (right now) most vulnerable I am happy to be a shut in and still in good health.
    May everyone stay safe, sane and happy!

Leave a comment:

• KPH
    replied
    Well, the quilt wasn't as bad as I thought. Most of the stray loose strings were caught in the binding since they ran the quilting from the top to the bottom. There are some long hooked together places at the top and bottom that didn't get caught, but they are so close together, there's no way to cut the string, knot both ends and bury them, so I'm just leaving them alone. Since they're at the top and bottom, they won't be noticed, I hope. I'm calling it done, anyway. Sent pictures from my phone to Morgan. She loves it. Now to keep the secret until Christmas!

Now, I think I'm ready to clean up my sewing room. Not really, but it needs to be done.

Have fun!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X