A call for Face mask for our medical people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A call for Face mask for our medical people

Our doctors and nurses are on the front lines of this pandemic..and they are running out of Protective equipment... a call has been made for anyone who sews to make and send face masks to their hospitals, nursing homes and clinics. I don't have the pattern they say they want, but I did google for doctors masks and got a bunch of patterns. I don't recommend any except those who have a pocket for adding flannel or tissues.

I have this link you may want to use... just add an extra pocket to add the flannel/tissue. I'll be sending these to my family who work in the medical field. Maybe these will make a difference with those who can work and care for others... sew a mask
    Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
    :icon_wave:

Can I add this to your thread Judy. CNN was talking with this organization. They got it up and running now.

https://www.providence.org/lp/100m-masks
    Lorie
    🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

YES!! please do.
      Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
      :icon_wave:

Comment

I signed up for it. I guess they send a supply list and pattern. I have a feeling it might involve some plastic. The person was making one when the host was talking to her.
        Lorie
        🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

• Simply Quilting
          Simply Quilting commented
          Editing a comment
          It was stated that the doctors would take care of adding the plastic to the masks if they wanted the plastic.

I signed up, because Renton is not too far from where we live, and the hospital is about three miles from where MM works. I'm getting tired of making tons of pads, shields and bags for Days for Girls, so this will break that up for a bit. How long can it take to make 100 masks? hahahaa….
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Here is one with a pocket.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eLOh8A...ature=youtu.be
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

Here is a link to the article on CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/us/co...rnd/index.html.

Sew Yeah Quilting did a face mask tutorial a few days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIR1tLAz8RM.

Comment

It looks like a worthwhile project. I looked at McEuens u tube . Who needs these...I wouldn't think these would be sterile enough for hospitals.. Are we going to be giving them to nursing homes...just not sure who to contact

Comment

I think before some of us commit to making copious amounts of masks we do a little research on what is actually useful and what might just be a current fad to make us feel like we are actually helping. I started doing some research, there is a lot on the net and many of these masks are not going to be helpful. I'll just put one link here but there are many many others. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPnf56vbyfk
                https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                Women are Angels.
                When someone
                break's our wings
                we will continue to
                fly...usually on a
                broomstick.
                We're flexible like that.
                - embroitique

Comment

• bubba
                  bubba commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I, myself, had decided not to make facemasks, unless MM and I ran out of the supply we have on hand at the house. Then, I would make them just for us.

The reason I signed up to make the ones I will is because it is a request thru a hospital in our area and they provide all the materials to make them. Otherwise, I would not do it because I don't want to be responsible for someone depending on a mask I made to protect them.

I will see how this batch goes as to whether or not I make more than the 100 I agreed to.

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
                I think before some of us commit to making copious amounts of masks we do a little research on what is actually useful and what might just be a current fad to make us feel like we are actually helping. I started doing some research, there is a lot on the net and many of these masks are not going to be helpful. I'll just put one link here but there are many many others. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPnf56vbyfk
                Good point. I was going to wait until I heard back from the link I posted. I'm disappointed they didn't give more information or even send a auto response.
                Lorie
                🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

I agree with you, Noel, more info is needed. From what I understand, a virus is so small it will go right through regular cotton fabric.

Comment

Please please research this topic. There was another thread and I think the general consensus is that these may be more of a danger than a help. They will not prevent a virus from passing, but if you don't know that, you have a false sense of security. There have been cases of transmission using surgical masks. A surgical mask will not stop a virus. Masks need to be changed very frequently. They don't prevent your breath from going out the sides. The best thing we can all do is act like we have it and try to protect others. I just scolded my hubby because we had to go to the store and he got in line right in back of a child, again, who was touching everything.
                    Barbara

Comment

The infectious disease experts in our area are clearly saying that the masks we generally can purchase don't help and will not fit properly and recommend following the CDC guidelines with regard to social isolation, hand washing, etc. If I got a solid word that what I could produce would help, trust me, I'd be right there with so many of the incredible folks on this forum,
                      “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
                      “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• bubba
                        bubba commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The link above is directly from a hospital that is providing you with everything you need to make them. I don't know what those things are, but I'm sure that they know what they need and are doing. I'm not sure if people out of the area will be able to do this for them or not as they give you a pick up day and you go there to get them.

The link above is directly from a hospital that is providing you with everything you need to make them. I don't know what those things are, but I'm sure that they know what they need and are doing. I'm not sure if people out of the area will be able to do this for them or not as they give you a pick up day and you go there to get them.

They went live on CNN talking with Chris Cuuomo saying they were going to do this. I think it's strange they would have people fill out a form to help out just for one hospital. 100 million masks? Since your close Pat or picking up a kit box could you investigate that?
                      Lorie
                      🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

• bubba
                        bubba commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have not heard back from them since filling out the form, which I find rather odd. I have been asked to grab some for LIbby and one other person, but I think they signed up.

I'll see what I can find out Monday, which is pickup day.

What is coming out of some hospitals right now is that yes, the handmade masks are not the N95 which is what is second best (fitted respiratory masks are the best). But there is such a short of N95 masks that the hospitals are hoping that even just having something over the face will help if nothing else just as a physical reminder of not touching the face. The masks are suppose to be changed between each patient which means they are going through a whole lot of masks in a very short amount of time. Our local sewing group has contacted the local hospital to see if they are wanted sewn masks. If so, we have already formulated a plan of how we can make it work while still having our seniors and others stay in their house to avoid contact with people.

Comment

Working...
                      X