Didn't know where to put this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't know where to put this

I mentioned elsewhere I've been thinking cookies which has evolved to the roll out kind. In one old cook book they mentioned using a sock on the rolling pin, I know on other things trying to dust the rolling pin just doesn't work real well for me. Has anyone used a sock and then I was thinking I bet I could sew something up. Has anyone done this and how did you do it??
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

When I was a child my mother bought a new rolling pin that came with a fancy mat and it included a sock to put over the pin. It was a very thin stretchy fabric, almost net like as it was stretched over the rolling pin. I tried using it several times when rolling out cookies and pie crusts, but I never had much luck. It seemed to stick and goo everything up. I was not an experienced baker, so more flour might have helped, but I didn’t know that fact. We tossed the sock pretty quickly. I imagine you could just sew a tube of fabric and slide it on......that was all this sock was, back then.

Comment

I recall my grandma using a sock at times, it always felt almost greasy, was made from cheese cloth I believe. As for me, if my dough is sticky I just let it rest for a bit to absorb the "wet" or put it in the frig for about an hour.
      One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

Having been a baker I wouldn't suggest a sock. They have covers like Suzy said but you can get then in 100% cotton at several price points. Or just make your own!
        https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rolling+p...f=nb_sb_noss_1
        Lorie

Comment

I remember my mom had one when I was a kid. She used it everytime she used the rolling pin. She still used flour on it though which may have helped with dough not sticking to it. She used it a very long time, but I don't remember if she ever washed it. It did feel greasy. I have her rolling pin, but not the sock. I guess she eventually got rid of it.

Nancy

Comment

They sell rolling pin "socks". My mom always had one and it was fine. When I moved out and had one, mine always felt greasy and weird. After while I got rid of it. I often wonder if the difference in hers and mie were because she used Crisco and I used real butter.

https://amazon.com/Regency-Rolling-P...qid=1584477454
            K is for Karen 😊​..................
            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
            T - is it TRUE?
            H - is it HELPFUL?
            I - is it INSPIRING?
            N - is it NECESSARY?
            K - is it KIND?

Comment

Wonder if muslin would work just as well. God knows I have enough of that around. And yeah, I could have sworn today I saw a notice that Amazon is cutting back and not shipping anything except meds and I think it said food stuff. Anyone else see anything like that?
              Women are Angels.
              When someone
              break's our wings
              we will continue to
              fly...usually on a
              broomstick.
              - embroitique

Comment

• KPH
                KPH commented
                Editing a comment
                I guess it was on FB that Amazon in areas of CA were not delivering anything but medical necessities.

• bubba
                bubba commented
                Editing a comment
                Amazon is alive and well and delivering all things here.

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
              Wonder if muslin would work just as well. God knows I have enough of that around. And yeah, I could have sworn today I saw a notice that Amazon is cutting back and not shipping anything except meds and I think it said food stuff. Anyone else see anything like that?
              It's quite the opposite. They just had on CNN that they just hired 100,000 people for the extra online shopping people are doing.
              Lorie

Comment

O I cannot imagine Amazon not sending out stuff. I think this will be a boon to the on line marketplace. All these people home, no place to go, bored, and computer shopping.

Comment

I was wondering if it was fake. I wish I could remember where I saw it, it was only about an hour ago and didn't seem all that
                  "official" to me
                  Women are Angels.
                  When someone
                  break's our wings
                  we will continue to
                  fly...usually on a
                  broomstick.
                  - embroitique

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                    O I cannot imagine Amazon not sending out stuff. I think this will be a boon to the on line marketplace. All these people home, no place to go, bored, and computer shopping.
                    Like me who just bought a bunch of jewelry supplies😁
                    Lorie

Comment

I just said this morning.....give it a few days and the online shopping will begin. Already calculated when 9 months from now is......😉

Comment

• toggpine
                        toggpine commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Six years from now the kindergarten classes are going to be jammed!

Ok just saw it again. It's in the independent uk so maybe not for here in the States? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...box=1584456332
                      Women are Angels.
                      When someone
                      break's our wings
                      we will continue to
                      fly...usually on a
                      broomstick.
                      - embroitique

Comment

My dd works at Amazon. She says they were told Amazon is temp suspending buying from independents or third party sellers. You can still order stuff from Amazon but prime delivery might not be as speedy for the immediate future. I am not sure what the reference means about medical equipment and supplies unless they are trying to work only with known vendors. This notice did come from Amazon UK though.

Comment

I have a sock for my rolling pin, but don't use it very much. It is stretchy. It reminds me of stockinette, which used to be placed over a broken limb before the plaster cast was applied. The sock occasionally bunches up and wrinkles, resulting in a dent in the dough. I also don't like seeing the texture from the sock on my pie crust. Carlie Wolf, I don't think muslin or other fabric would work well. You would have to have a seam to turn the flat muslin into a cylinder that fits over the rolling pin. The bulk from the seam would mean that your dough would not be evenly thick when you roll it out.

Comment

• Granny Judy
                            Granny Judy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            If you have Nothing at all to use, Grab a large glass , smooth sided. Mom always greased it , dusted it in flour and rolled out her dough.

We always did this when camping since I could never remember to pack a rolling pin.
                        Working...
                        X