No announcement yet.

Do you remember home economics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember that bread we all used to make years ago, forget the name, but we would share a "starter"? I remember going to work carrying some goo in a jar to share with co-workers.
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

• jjkaiser
      jjkaiser commented
      Editing a comment
      Amish Friendship Bread I think it was called? Now you probably wouldn't dare leave it out, I think it has to sit out for a couple days. Think of the potential germs that would settle.

• chelea
      chelea commented
      Editing a comment
      yes! that's the name. thanks.

Originally posted by chelea View Post
    Remember that bread we all used to make years ago, forget the name, but we would share a "starter"? I remember going to work carrying some goo in a jar to share with co-workers.
    sourdough bread starter is a "goo" of flour and water (sometimes potato flour is used). It basically ferments causing bubbles that allow the bread to rise when you add the other ingredients. It's very goo like. Generally takes around a week to be ready to use. Each day you replace about half and re add more flour and water. It uses the natural yeasts in the air to ferment. You can regulate the amount of sourness depending on the type of flours you use. Initially you use some rye flour with the white but it is not necessary. You can start with wheat flour or various other flours. There are many recipes on line. It can also be dried for use in later starters. It was widely used back in colonial times since "store bought" yeast was not common.
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• chelea
      chelea commented
      Editing a comment
      I love sourdough. Do you have a recipe to share?

I would love to have the recipe. I’ve not mastered bread or pie crusts.

Comment

Yup I have a few recipes I like. I'll put them up here a little later......just getting my fill of coffee at the moment :-)
      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Originally posted by chelea View Post
        I love sourdough. Do you have a recipe to share?
        Ok, I just posted the recipes over on the bread making post Rhonda just posted.

Comment

Are we dating ourselves, or what? Nice, isn't it?
          “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
          “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

The starter was given before gluten free, had milk, flour, sugar, kept in fridge and kept adding to it each week, then just made a normal bread recipe, it was nice, but due to health had to pass it on. Cannot remember its name, but remember the taste😁

Comment

Working...
            X