Do you remember home economics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you remember home economics?

I had purchased some lard last month because I remembered doing chocolate chip cookies with it years ago. Naturally I then couldn't find a recipe with it. So today I was looking up Armour lard to see if they had recipes.They didn't have many unfortunately but I did find this and I had to laugh. I'm sure I remember Mrs What's Her Name in home economics covering this almost word for word. I starting laughing, not sure why thougth lol. Check it out: https://www.armourlard.com/tips
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

If it wasn't for home ec, I wouldn't be a quilter today. That's when I fell in love with sewing, making a skirt with a gathered waist. I still remember the fabric, gray with tiny white flowers.
    Half the school year was sewing and half was cooking. I remember baking powder biscuits. They took us on a field trip to the natural gas company where they had a test kitchen. Nice memories of a much simpler time.
    Last edited by chelea; March 17th, 2020, 03:01 PM.
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

ME too! Junior high eighth grade. My 1/2 year of sewing was a box pleated skirt (orange) , a jacket and a floral yellow orange shirt. I just finished a quilt with that shirt fabric which brought back memories. It was not left over from my sewing but was the same pattern.
      My 1/2 year of cooking was marmalade (which I had never heard of and fell in love with) muffins being my favorite memory
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
        I had purchased some lard last month because I remembered doing chocolate chip cookies with it years ago. Naturally I then couldn't find a recipe with it. So today I was looking up Armour lard to see if they had recipes.They didn't have many unfortunately but I did find this and I had to laugh. I'm sure I remember Mrs What's Her Name in home economics covering this almost word for word. I starting laughing, not sure why thougth lol. Check it out: https://www.armourlard.com/tips
        Use it just like crisco but measure it like they say in the armour . com site in the water. Also, when measuring anything put the increment amounts on the side of the cup further away from you and look thru the cup. It will be more accurate that way.
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
          ME too! Junior high eighth grade. My 1/2 year of sewing was a box pleated skirt (orange) , a jacket and a floral yellow orange shirt. I just finished a quilt with that shirt fabric which brought back memories. It was not left over from my sewing but was the same pattern.
          My 1/2 year of cooking was marmalade (which I had never heard of and fell in love with) muffins being my favorite memory
          I remember the baking soda biscuits, jam and peach cobbler. Sewing was a wrap around skirt and a blouse. The blouse was hideous, it had a round collar that naturally wasn't positioned correctly on mine LOL
          Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

My memories include Baked Alaska and a chiffon blouse with French seams. I was in band and never took Home Ec till my Sr year. Not sure how I blew past the basics, but I did just fine. I had been cooking, baking, and sewing for years at home. I included home ec in our home school......for everyone! I consider these skills for all!

Comment

I took Home-Ec (as we called it) in middle school and again in high school. I know we cooked...something. But for the life of me I couldn't tell you if it was a main course or a desert - maybe my lack of baking skills is a reflection of my experience - best forgotten!

But I do remember sewing. In middle school it was a pillow and a stuffed animal (Elephant for me). In high school, first thing was a pair of slacks and then a blouse with darts and buttons. Made lots of my own clothes during my high school years after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
                The butter flavored Crisco can has a recipe for chocolate chip cookies on it that is fabulous. Nice, soft and chewy!
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Loved Home Ec. I remember making a taco casserole, (still have the original recipe I had written). I made a wrap
                  around skirt and top, and a bright yellow skirt with ruffles. My teacher made me rip the waist out 3 times
                  to make it fit correctly. 😀

Comment

I sure remember home ec classes, esp sewing a blouse with darts and a skirt with a zipper and I never wore either piece in public after that. Mostly I remember the teacher. Teachers always wore dresses back then and I forget what it was called but a new slip was in fashion that was more like pants made out of some silky material you wore under a dress. The teacher gave a lesson at a podium one day and when she stepped away her pants/slip fell down around her ankles. It was bright red and I can still see her hobbling over to the corner to pull them up and her face was as red as her panties. Boy did the class get a laugh out of that one!!!

Comment

• SuzyQue
                      SuzyQue commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think they were called petti-pants. .....a combination slip and panties.

I totally remember home ec and wonder why they don't have it anymore. In cooking we made jam, muffins and that taco casserole I used to make for my kiddos! In the cookie unit our group added the wet ingredients before the shortening and sugars were creamed and she made us sit down. I remember this like it was yesterday!
                    In sewing I didn't do well at all. My stuffed animal was a frog, that was ok. But then we made lingerie, nighties made out of that silky tricot stuff. Not fun. And actually, in retrospect, a little weird. I made a jumper that had a zipper in it, and I snuck it home and my Mom put that in for me. For my lack of confidence back then I'm surprised I ever took up quilting, but I'm glad I did!
                    sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

I have a friend who still teaches it in a middle school in New England. She works for an affluent town that insists on keeping it in school. They call it something else now. She has quite a challenge right now- figuring how to teach it remotely now that schools are closed there.

Comment

Home Ec ~ Those were the days, weren't they? I don't remember what items we cooked. I do remember sewing a gathered skirt. My parents (low income) sacrificed to buy me a good pair of sewing scissors, which I still have to this day, but don't use anymore. At home I sewed on a treadle machine.

Although they called it something else, both my sons took Home Ec, maybe in jr. high. DS#1 made a beautiful long sleeved western shirt which turned out great. He finished his project before some of the girls. He did another project of a quilt (tied, not quilted). Both learned to cook in class as well as at home from me. They're both good cooks.

Comment

It was a long time ago... I remember taking a sewing class and learning how to sew zippers, darts, and inter-facings. Plus we learned how to adjust patterns for fit. There is a vague memory of perhaps a cooking class. I did purchase my first sewing machine back then and still have it.

Thanks for the site. It does have some useful tips. This is a perfect time to re-new some baking skills plus cookies are good anytime. I wanted to try making bread but it's hard to find yeast right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhonda K View Post
                            It was a long time ago... I remember taking a sewing class and learning how to sew zippers, darts, and inter-facings. Plus we learned how to adjust patterns for fit. There is a vague memory of perhaps a cooking class. I did purchase my first sewing machine back then and still have it.

Thanks for the site. It does have some useful tips. This is a perfect time to re-new some baking skills plus cookies are good anytime. I wanted to try making bread but it's hard to find yeast right now.
                            Have you tried making sourdough Rhonda? Also I tried a bigga recipe that was pretty good. It takes two days but it rose nicely. I can post the recipe under recipes if you'd like.

Comment

Working...
                            X