Saturday Greetings! First Colorado Death from COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday Greetings! First Colorado Death from COVID-19

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Our governor announced yest. that Colorado now has its first fatality from COVID-19 -- a woman in her 80's who had pre-existing health problems. She lived in El Paso County. Our city has a long list of closures for the next 2 weeks. Our ice pavilion, the senior center, 2 pools & the recreation center, the public library, the museum & cultural center, municipal court cases will be rescheduled. Several churches have chosen to not hold worship services, but will do on-line videos. I've heard of one case in our county & in the neighboring county. No cases reported yet in our city.

DH asked me if I still was planning to go to church tomorrow. I said yes. This a.m. is a memorial service at church for one of our elderly men who died about 2 weeks ago. He always had a smile for folks. He was from Long Island & never lost that NY accent. When we had our senior fellowships, he'd be there with his apron on to help in the kitchen & greet folks. It's a tough time for his wife; they have a dau. who is in hospice care, so she'll have another death to face in the near future. Also a great gr. son is facing a stem cell transplant. God gives us strength to get through these tough times.

Yest. I baked DH's spelt bread. The house smells so good when bread is baking. No more time this a.m.

So sorry to hear this. I would exercise caution if you go to the service, certainly social distancing and not stay afterwards. Everyone needs to take this seriously, and at times of grief, there is always looks of hugging.

Thankfully there has only been 1 death in all of Canada.

Friday, he got Subaru recall done, it was an upgrade to electronics. Then we picked up his new eyeglasses. Amazing! He has 20/20 & better vision only needs about 1.75 for readers. The mall was empty. Spoke to my daughter, they have cancelled trip to Mexico. They will tell the kids today as they didn't want to rain on Cedric's 3rd birthday. They will stay home, play board games, bake. It may be challenging while the hardwood floors get installed. DH absolutely doesn't want me to go near our GKs, and while I know his fears are real as they always seem to have colds. Schools, museums, and just about every public spaces are closed for 3 weeks. DD & her DH will work from home, not much of a change there as govt has been moving to virtual offices for years. DS works at The Senate & while its closed, he will be on duty.

I have to check emails, but mom's sitter could not go yesterday. They had quarantined all floors and only family member, if required. I know mom needs tissues, so I may drop off package at door for her.

Today, I plan to sew, maybe bake, maybe declutter. I will decide after I have my second cup of coffee.
    Last edited by SuzanneOrleansOntario; March 14th, 2020, 07:21 AM.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Good Morning All,

Well, it's here, maybe not on the calendar, but it's here. Man, my allergies are going nuts. Yesterday it was in the upper 80s, the trees and shrubs around the house are in full bloom, even the palm trees are starting to show their flowering fronds. I'm all stopped up, but I know it's allergies, because my eyes are dry and itchy.

Church is just having Sunday morning services tomorrow. Jim's been preparing his Sunday School lessons for this week and next, but he'll have two more weeks to get it together. Services will be streamed on line if you don't want to get out which is a nice feature since we've had several members with serious illnesses this winter. The coffee bar and continental breakfast won't be served either. Wonder how that will go over?

I worked on SS yesterday, nothing made but Santa's have their assignments.

Today, I'm going to pull out the xacto knife and trim some laminating from some works that Melinda sent. They've been sitting in the chair in the kids room for quite a while.

Not sure what else the day will bring. I'll keep busy doing something.

Be creative!

Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
      ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Good morning. I am off to get my leg worked on. This office is doing all the precautions to prevent infection. I just heard that our Staples store is closing for 2 weeks. Our largest mall decided to stay open. A lot of people are up in arms about this. My DH got up to go fly fishing at a State Park near us. A ranger was stationed there to turn people away. Yet he was able to stop at Starbucks and order coffee and paid with cash. Wondered which scenario was worse for getting infected.

have a good day.
        Beth

Comment

Good Morning everyone - it's a sunny day here and the wind is calm. Yesterday it just about knocked me off my feet. I had been starting my morning walks before it was really light, but yesterday my daughter told me that a friend of hers had been attacked by a rabid raccoon and was now getting a series of rabies shots. This happened only a few miles from us. Last year my daughter and her dog were attacked by a rabid fox right outside our house. In light of that...I'm not starting my walks until I can see anything coming at me.

Progress is being made on my quilt. Today will be a Tylenol day because it is taking a toll on my hands. Lots of pinning and pressing. Hubby is going to a gun show today that will be bring in people from all over. We haven't had an virus cases near here, but it still makes me nervous. In less than 24 hours, the number of cases in PA doubled.

DD is still waiting to hear whether the company she works for will freeze their work crews in place. She's scheduled for a leave in the beginning of April but that's so far away in the great scheme of things. So many things can (and will) change by April. Right now she's in the mid-west.

Everything is normal here. We are sticking close to home and going out less, but so far no empty shelves and no panic. Although I was disturbed lat week when the grocery store ran out of Lorna Doone cookies. I mean......really?????

Hoping that everyone stays safe and has a good day!
          Barbara

Comment

Good morning everyone. It's a sunny day here so we will be taking a walk later to get out of the house for a bit. Kathryn went to the grocery store for us yesterday so we didn't need to go into that crowded place. Looks like we won't have to get Henry next week either. So even though we aren't in "self isolation" for any reason, it sure is beginning to feel like it. We are going to see what projects we can work on around the house. Tim and Carrie have cancelled their visit up here next weekend which makes me very sad but I understand their decision.

On the bright side, I will have more time to spend in the sewing room.

Keep safe and healthy. Quilt away!
            Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Good morning everyone,

It's cold here in NW Minnesota this morning; it was 8 degrees F. when I got up. We'll see a high in the low 20s for the day. Tomorrow up to about 30, but also a couple inches of snow. As long as there's not much wind, all will be fine.

We went and signed our tax documents yesterday late afternoon...the business taxes have to be filed by March 15. It was about what we expected; we always have to pay in. After that we went out to eat at a Mom and Pop type restaurant. DH and I both opted for breakfast, and it was yummy! We stopped at the grocery store before heading home. TP was limited to 2 packages; there were a few bottles of disinfecting wipes left...the same with bleach type cleaning spray. We only bought 1 of each. So far, the virus is in the Minneapolis area, and we're about 300 miles from there. My DD lives in that metro area, and she's taking the normal precautions. Her roommate attends the U of Minn., and that's closed for the next 2 weeks, and classes will be online. She was in the last week of her student teaching, but all of them were pulled from the classrooms by the U. She's wondering how and when she'll be able to finish her classroom time.

Our church was planning on having a presentation and supper this evening, but that's been cancelled. Every spring we have this "Sportsman Banquet" featuring a hunting or fishing spokesman. It's usually a packed church. I don't know if it was the speaker who cancelled, or if our pastor made the call.

I suppose I'll be working on the cabinet painting today. We have 25 doors and 11 drawers in the kitchen, and everything is getting 3 coats of paint! The countertops will arrive in about a week, and I'd like to be done by then. We'll see. I'm still working on the QAYG hexies in between coats of paint.

I'm off to get a second cup of coffee.
              Jeanne

Comment

Working...
              X