Your opinion on this (Salon ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your opinion on this (Salon ?)

First I have to say I never go to the hair salon, so this might be a regular thing for you. If you click on services there are listings for New Talent, Senior and Master. At first I thought 'how unusual' . Now I'm thinking do they advertise like that so you think you won't get a great job unless you pick the most expensive one?

https://epichairboutique.com/

I don't know what to think. Is this a normal thing in the city these days?
    Lorie
    ๐ŸŒบKauai๐ŸŒบ

They want you to pay for their experience. It might be normal in a place where the owner sets the prices and then pays the workers. The place I go, each stylist rents a station from the owner and sets their own prices.
    K is for Karen ๐Ÿ˜Šโ€‹..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Well that is unusual for sure. I would want their assurance that if I chose a newbie, that I won't have anything drastically wrong. On the flipp idea the newbie is fresh out of school and may try newer styles and techniques.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

At first I thought it might be a school, but when I looked I realized that it was Aveda. Aveda does tier their stylists. The lady that cuts my hair just got bumped up in the salon. lol, and so did the price of a cut.

I'll keep going because she always does a great job, just not as often.

Katrina

โ€œNothing can dim the light which shines from within.โ€
        โ€• Maya Angelou

Comment

I no longer go to salons since I finally caved in to my naturally curly hair and started taking care of my hair using the Curly Girl method. However, when I was going, it was a widespread practice that there are levels of stylists and they charge at different levels. In fact, my next to the last regular salon was very well known and rather fashionable. I had been with the main stylist since her younger, junior days. After a huge price hike in her new fancier spa setting where she was the owner with her sister I had to stop going as did two of my friends who had also been long time customers. So nothing new there from a city girl perspective. Nowadays finding and visiting a curly certified stylist - eye popping fees! OMGee!

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
            I no longer go to salons since I finally caved in to my naturally curly hair and started taking care of my hair using the Curly Girl method. However, when I was going, it was a widespread practice that there are levels of stylists and they charge at different levels. In fact, my next to the last regular salon was very well known and rather fashionable. I had been with the main stylist since her younger, junior days. After a huge price hike in her new fancier spa setting where she was the owner with her sister I had to stop going as did two of my friends who had also been long time customers. So nothing new there from a city girl perspective. Nowadays finding and visiting a curly certified stylist - eye popping fees! OMGee!
            I also have trouble finding a person to cut my curly hair. Found a gal that did a great job for a few years but then took some extra curly hair training and just could no longer get it right. So I am once again looking. Yes that gals price did go up after the training. I'll have to look up the Curly Girl method.
            One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

• Midge
              Midge commented
              Editing a comment
              Trudy, I suggest you start with Lorraine Massey's book, that was the landmark thing that started this movement. The title is: "Curly Girl: The Handbook". You will learn so so much about your hair and how to get it healthy again. BTW, the co-author is Michele Bender. That's not me! That's another Michele Bender. Anyway, when Ms. Massey wrote the book she was one of the founders of the Deva Curl line of hair care products. She walked away since, and the company was sold to a conglomerate. Guess what. They have changed the products and now people are having lots of trouble with their hair on the current line. Something has changed. There is a class action lawsuit. Lots of YouTube drama about this. But despite all that, this book is still the best thing going to get you started. When you decide which category your own hair most reflects, there is so much advice online on naturallycurly.com and by various YouTubers about using the right products and even better, HOW to use them. Eye-opening info. And there are all kinds of price points nowadays as new companies emerge and big established lines add appropriate formulations for curly heads. I am no longer a slave to the pricy stuff! Good luck in your searches, and dm me anytime if you want more leads. I've been on a mission!

I go to a JC Penny's Salon, and they too have different levels of stylists depending on their experience. And of course, they come with different price points.

Comment

Nothing new here. Paying more for the experience the stylist has.

Comment

Originally posted by KPH View Post
                At first I thought it might be a school, but when I looked I realized that it was Aveda. Aveda does tier their stylists. The lady that cuts my hair just got bumped up in the salon. lol, and so did the price of a cut.

I'll keep going because she always does a great job, just not as often.
                I didn't notice that and now it makes sense. I had gone into an Aveda center of sorts to go to a chiropractor I never went to before. There was a lobby with products and the whole place was very Zen and expensive looking. They must of moved parts of it to this new place.

I'll have to look at their other services now and have a whole treat day!
                Lorie
                ๐ŸŒบKauai๐ŸŒบ

Comment

Their prices are Epic compared to what they are around here. It makes me glad I live in a small town with fairly low prices. I pay $20 for a cut and style and $60 for highlights and she does very good work. There is no tier pricing due to it being a one or two person salon.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Around here each stylist rents a station from the owner and sets their own prices. (the exception is the one at Walmart which is a base price set by the company who rents out the space in Walmart). I don't have my hair cut very often because it is long. But it is about $15 for a haircut at the lady that I go to. I am not sure at some of the other salons what they charge but I know each stylist is independent and sets her own prices. Also depending upon what you want, there are some that are more skilled at specific cuts or coloring.

Comment

I have been going to the same guy for 40 years (until November) off and on. He does a fabulous job cutting . I color my own. However, the last 6 appointments have been up by $5 each time. Last cut (Nov. ) was $85. Thought that was ridiculous for cut, shampoo and blow dry, and have decided that I will be a pony tail/bun lady for the rest of the year. How fashionable do I need to be on the boat, right?
                      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                        I have been going to the same guy for 40 years (until November) off and on. He does a fabulous job cutting . I color my own. However, the last 6 appointments have been up by $5 each time. Last cut (Nov. ) was $85. Thought that was ridiculous for cut, shampoo and blow dry, and have decided that I will be a pony tail/bun lady for the rest of the year. How fashionable do I need to be on the boat, right?
                        I'm just a pony tail girl here too. When I first moved here my hair was natural blond and as I got older it got darker. I just did highlights. I got a botched one and had to color my whole head and reverse highlights.

So I'm not too keen on coloring, but I'm going to go for a full color. Highlights are too expensive! I'm not fashionable either, but for my dd's wedding and my husbands family coming I'm going to be the beach-bunny I once was. yeah right, lol
                        Lorie
                        ๐ŸŒบKauai๐ŸŒบ

Comment

• Simply Quilting
                          Simply Quilting commented
                          Editing a comment
                          We have a local stylist who does a technique where it is a blended in highlighting where it is not obvious that the hair is highlighted as it looks natural plus as your hair grows out, there is not the obvious change in color.

you deserve a treat.๐Ÿ˜ enjoy.
                        am happy for himself to attempt mine, any mistakes grow out๐Ÿคฃ practice makes purrfect.

Comment

I found a good hair dresser here after moving back from Colorado. $60.00 to $70.00. but now can't afford to go so i cut my own hair now. sad but true.

Comment

Working...
                          X