Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No visitors at Ohio nursing homes or assisted living!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No visitors at Ohio nursing homes or assisted living!

Mom's memory care facility called this morning -- no visitors until the Governor lifts the ban. I'm glad they are taking precautions, but Mom is not going to like that! She is always complaining no one visits her...now it will be true! I called my sister and caught her before she went to visit. I'm thinking we should send Mom some cards so she at least has mail from us. I might even buy a padded mailer or two so I can include a couple of candy bars. My heart breaks for the families of residents who are under hospice care.

I did not get a phone for Mom's room because she can't hear. The facility is looking into getting captioned phones for the residents, but with the visitor restriction I wouldn't think they could be installed.

Here's hoping it will be safe to see her in a couple of weeks.

Julie, per the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, facilities have the flexibility to accommodate visitors for end-of-life situations. I heard this from the CMS director at the news conference today and it's on the CMS website.
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Don’t give up on the phone idea yet. Those units and other specialized phones are not hardwired into rooms. They come with plastic jacks and are just plugged in.

Comment

Kurt the cyber guy was just on Fox and Friends and mentioned several apps that can be used in this situation. Check it out.

Comment

A friend from our church visits several nursing homes on a regular basis and does a music/entertainment hour with the residents, but has been told his visits are on hold until they get the okay from the Health Dept. I like the idea of captioned video phones, and the cards are a wonderful idea. When I was house-bound due to chemo 12 years ago, I received daily get-well cards from members of my sister's church. It was such a blessing.

Comment

Originally posted by JulieC View Post
            Mom's memory care facility called this morning -- no visitors until the Governor lifts the ban. I'm glad they are taking precautions, but Mom is not going to like that! She is always complaining no one visits her...now it will be true! I called my sister and caught her before she went to visit. I'm thinking we should send Mom some cards so she at least has mail from us. I might even buy a padded mailer or two so I can include a couple of candy bars. My heart breaks for the families of residents who are under hospice care.

I did not get a phone for Mom's room because she can't hear. The facility is looking into getting captioned phones for the residents, but with the visitor restriction I wouldn't think they could be installed.

Here's hoping it will be safe to see her in a couple of weeks.
            I’ll send her a card from Washington if you pm me her name and address of her facility.

Comment

Mom's nursing home started limiting visits Wednesday and by Friday, no visits. I have been able to reach mom by phone and we will speak daily. She will be bored with no activities. Although she says she is not i.l, she understands why there are no visits. They are the most vulnerable.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

once saw this demo'd, the gent called his mum, by speaking to the device, must of been set up, they could see each other, and chat away, its probably outdated tech now, but if, in person visiting restricted this may be a safe way to visit.

Comment

Working...
                X