Now our schools are closed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now our schools are closed.

I had not read today's newspaper headline when I was here earlier. Big headlines announcing the school district in our town & the neighboring one are closed effective today due to COVID-19. They're making spring break 2 weeks instead of one. Also one of the mega churches in our area, which has multiple campuses, has announced no church services, but they will be streaming them on line. Our church is not that large, so for now we will be having services on Sunday, but all extra curricular events are canceled. E.g. Bible studies, AWANA, youth activities, etc. It will be up to individuals to decide whether to attend or to practice "social distancing" -- the new phrase being tossed around now -- and stay home & watch the service on YT. Hugging, hand shaking, etc. are discouraged. Our governor is discouraging, but not mandating, group activities not to exceed 250 people.

Yesterday Washington's Governor Inslee, announced that ALL schools in King, Pierce, and Snohomish Counties, Grades K-12 (private and public) will be closing effective Tuesday until at least April 24th and that parents should be prepared in case the closures last even longer.

While I believe the closures are a wise precaution, I certainly feel for the families, especially those with both parents (or single parents) who work, and younger children that can't stay home alone. This is going to be a tough time for them.

Comment

• bubba
      bubba commented
      Editing a comment
      I am wondering how this will effect graduation this year. Do you think once it starts back up that the kids will finish this year, have a very short or no summer break and just start next year?

• Caroline T.
      Caroline T. commented
      Editing a comment
      I suspect assuming that they don't have some kind of on-line schooling thing in place: that since one week of the closure is actually Spring break, then the other 5 weeks will be tacked onto the end of the school year making for a shorter Summer break. (Edit: only will need to make up 4 weeks)

I don't know about schools in your area, but Puyallup has so many 1/2 days and late start days and teacher in service days, that if they got rid of those for May and June the kids probably could make up for at least another week or two that way! (Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit there)
      Last edited by Caroline T.; March 13th, 2020, 02:00 PM.

• toggpine
      toggpine commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll have more info by Tuesday, but at this point in WA they are exempting the kids from state testing. We have also heard that they won't have us go beyond June 19.
      Some kids have access to online learning, so that may be a way to keep the seniors on track for graduation.

There has been an announcement from the governor here in Pennsylvania that all schools in the Commonwealth will be closed, beginning Monday, for the next 2 weeks. At the end of this period, a decision will be made if the schools can open back up or must stay closed for a longer period of time. I sure am glad I am retired from teaching. Several years ago, around 1993/94, we had 17 snow days to make up at the end of the year. I didn't think school would ever end. I am hoping the kids will not have to make up these days. I am also wondering how this will impact the mandatory state testing which is coming up in April. So much emphasis is put on those tests.

Nancy

Comment

Ohio closed all schools statewide for 3 weeks. reevaluate at that time whether to reopen or extend. banned any groups of 100 or more. Most schools will do online studies, so hopefully should not affect graduation
      Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

I have no idea how graduations may be affected by the school closings. My gr. dau. attends the Univ. of MD; I think they were planning to go to virtual classes after spring break. If the closings are extended here, they're talking about virtual classes. Not sure how that would work, since not every household has computers or tablets or internet access. There also was concern for low income families & the lunch programs at the schools, etc. So many things to be considered.

I just read there now are 72 cases in Colo.; 3 are in critical condition in the hosp. The governor wants to limit public gatherings to only 250 people. That definitely will affect many more churches & social events. I just learned our senior center will be closed for the next 2 weeks.

Comment

By next Tuesday, all K-12 schools in the state of Washington are closed through April 24, per the Governor.

Comment

Many KY school systems are closed for 2-3 weeks after today. The local school system will close for 2 weeks. They will be using NTI (non-traditional instruction) where the kids have daily lesson packets to complete and turn in when they go back to school. They get credit for attendance by doing this.
            *~* Myrna *~*
            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

My GKs are all off for 3 weeks,1 week being the scheduled spring break. We help out getting some on the bus,watch others so their parents can work. Fortunately we live close enough that we can help, but so many people will be in a real bind for childcare and then supervising any home studying to boot. Not many people can take off work etc although the company my DD works for had told employees they will work with them to adjust hours/ let them take leave of absence . Doesn't mean they will get paid during time off but at least can keep their job
              “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Schools are closed for March break and this has been extended an additional 2 weeks. All daycares, community centres, libraries and spring camps have been closed. I thank God that my daughter and her family are not going on vacation to Mexico. This would have an meant additional 2 weeks in isolation afterwards, not to mention the risk since the GKs always seem to have a cold, sniffle or something. Now they have to figure what they will do. Luckily they have been told they can work from home or next 3 weeks, and the daycare and after school costs will be refunded to them.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

They announced school closures for a month here in Louisiana too. We postponed the charity book sale also. Lots of events have been cancelled here so hopefully it will help keep the virus under control.
                  "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                  Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Schools have been closed by the State DOE here in Fla,until 3-30-2020. My grands go to Catholic school it was closed early this afternoon until the 20th, before the State mandate.
                    Two separate family members hunting TP..... 6 separate stops....no TP. WM manager told DD that WM stores all over the country are empty of paper products. Don't want to hoard,just need it.
                    This too will pass
                    Blessings Kathy

Comment

• KPH
                      KPH commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I guess we'll be seeing a lot more kids out and about during the day.
                  Working...
                  X