Alternative To Hand Sanitizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative To Hand Sanitizer

Hand sanitizer is non-existent in many areas, including ours. I am using a wonderful product called Cleansing Alcohol that is available from Sally Beauty Supply. It comes in a 32 ounce bottle for $6.99 and can easily be poured into small sprayers. The alcohol content is 70% (the CDC recommends 60% or higher), smells like cherry/almond, does not sting or dry out your hands. You can use it on hands and surfaces/utensils. I ordered mine from www.sallybeauty.com and got it within a few days. My daughter uses this in her studio to keep her hands germ free. If you live near one of their stores you might give them a call.
    Last edited by Bubby; March 11th, 2020, 12:19 PM.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

I am actually going to be making my own hand sanitizer, by mixing 91% alcohol, with aloe vera gel.... I believe the ratio is 3 parts alcohol to 1 part aloe vera gel
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Barb. I'm going to order some right now. Gina

Comment

double check the recipe on line auntiemern for dyi hand sanitizers. It needs to be a certain ratio range
        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

We have a few stores in our area - I'm going to check this out. Thanks for sharing this tip.

Comment

• Grey Lady
            Grey Lady commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I'm going to check Sally's on Fri.

It is already sold out on line!!!

Comment

Oh, no! I guess word got around. I have just had ours for about 3 days.

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Sold out. Same with alcohol and aloe Vera gel in my area.
              sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

Found the Cleansing Alcohol at Sally's. Appreciate the tip Bubby!!!

Comment

I’m so glad you found some!!

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
                    I am actually going to be making my own hand sanitizer, by mixing 91% alcohol, with aloe vera gel.... I believe the ratio is 3 parts alcohol to 1 part aloe vera gel
                    Actually, the aloe vera is a great idea as an additive so see how much water is in your aloe vera and do the math. But 91% alcohol is not the best strategy. More is not better in this instance. The higher percentages of alcohol solutions can burn the viral coat before it penetrates into the center of the virus and kills the inner part. More like 60-70% alcohol has enough alcohol in it plus enough water, so is more effective. Hope this helps.

Comment

I got the last bottle at Sallys today. Along with a tiny spray to fill and keep in the car. Thanks for the post.
                      Diana Grey

Comment

Good! You can use it not only on your hands but around the house (doorknobs, light switches, etc). My daughter is an esthetician and she uses this to keep everything in her studio sterile. My DH hates the smell but it doesn’t last long.

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post

Actually, the aloe vera is a great idea as an additive so see how much water is in your aloe vera and do the math. But 91% alcohol is not the best strategy. More is not better in this instance. The higher percentages of alcohol solutions can burn the viral coat before it penetrates into the center of the virus and kills the inner part. More like 60-70% alcohol has enough alcohol in it plus enough water, so is more effective. Hope this helps.
                          The recipe calls for using 2/3 cups of 91% strength alcohol, and 1/3 cup aloe vera gel. Not to use 91 % of alcohol in the ratio.
                          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X