No announcement yet.

So Much Hoarding!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was at CVS this morning and overheard a pharmacy tech tell a customer that they are limiting boxes of alcohol swabs to 2/person. Not sure if they're limiting other products.
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

No toilet paper to be found anywhere in my area. (Sacramento area, CA). No Kleenex, no hand sanitizers/bleach, etc.
      The 1st person to die in CA died at my local hospital. Getting crazy...

Comment

I learned a few things when I was very sick back around Christmas and I can only imagine what it will be like if lots of people come down with the symptoms of this virus. 1. I went through two large 10 roll packages of toilet paper in 14 days. My nose was the worst and never stopped producing, I didn't think I had that much liquids in my body. 2. After the first four days I decided to invest in adult diapers for constant leaks. I didn't think I had that much liquids in my body. I know this is not a delightful thing to mention but it's the miserable truth.

If so many people come down with this even without hoarding, toilet paper would be running out in stores. So I got to thinking what would I do if it happened again? I suspect we are lucky we all sew. First I'd cut up a few of my old sheets to hanky sizes. You can just wash them, save the toilet paper for the other end. Have some adult incontinence underwear in storage, it will save you from constantly having to wipe yourself which you probably won't want to constantly be up and down going into the bathroom with leaks. Other things I'd have on hand is 1 pint of honey, gingerale, many cans of chicken soup, green tea, elderberry syrup or tea if you can get it. They were my go to things. That was basically my "diet" for two weeks as it was all I could handle. Not only did I not have the energy to cook but I didn't have the desire to eat. Right from the beginning I had trouble breathing and often was left just gasping for breathe so I was not comfortable eating anything solid or heavy.

I'm sorry if I went into too much details but I am concerned that some people won't realize the degree of products they might need to have on hand and just how much they will go through. I was fortunate to have some neighbors who ran out and got this stuff for me. I had them put it on my porch because I was so afraid they would catch what I had since it was so volatile. Usually I shop once a month so I don't need to run out to the stores much at all
        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

It is so weird since this virus supposedly doesn't cause nasal mucous or gastro problems so TP isn't going to be used in excess. It is supposed to cause high fever and a dry cough with lung involvement.

Comment

Noelle, you make a good point about the "leaking". I'll be honest and open, now that I'm older (not yet 60 but getting closer) sometimes when I sneeze or cough hard just from a little dust or allergy there are times.... can't imagine what it would be like if I were sick and doing a lot of sneezing and coughing.

Comment

Still have TP and paper towels on the shelves here. Actually, they have moved a lot of it to the seasonal displays because it is going so fast. Hand sanitizer almost extinct. Work has quarantined me at home because I am "business critical". Guess they want to make sure we can still pay employees. Hoping I have enough of what I need, since I haven't done any extra shopping.

Comment

All K-12 schools closed in Ohio starting Monday. Grocery stores here have been OK but Walmart has open space in a lot of their shelves. TP, pasta and rice seem to have disappeared. Stopped to pick up DH's acid reflux medicine-he uses an OTC brand. Nope, shelf was empty. We both have a 6 week supply of our Rx meds. We will be helping out with the GKs since they will all be home-two different families-so their parents can work. I get the precautions but this will hurt so many financially, so many families are already struggling.
                “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

The scary thing is they announced in UK we are leaving containment to go into delay, what this means is on the gov.uk website.
                  We pray for all.
                  There is hope, there are folks who have come out the other side of this infection.
                  keep washing hands and try to keep stitching.

Comment

I was afraid to open this post because I thought it was about quilters hoarding fabric, and I didn't want to feel guilty!

Comment

I live in El paso tx. The panic here, I honestly don't know what to make of it. We're on the border of NM where my daughter goes to high school. Her school is cancelled for 2 weeks since her classmates are currently on a trip to DC that got cancelled as soon as they got there. They have to be corintined. I work for a major fourtune 500 company and starting Monday we're all starting to work from home.

I'm allergic to hand sanitizer..I break out in a rash. I really hope people aren't substituting it for hand washing. We're not on a water shortage. I've always been a hand washing freak due to the jobs I've had.
                      One of my sons and his GF are due to fly in Tuesday from OK for a spring break visit. I think I'm going to have them cancel only because they will be staying at my parents house in Cruces and my Dad's health is very fragile.
                      I'm one that's just thinking we're over reacting but in the end I still want my loved ones safe and sound.
                      Thank goodness I had 5 kids and make a meal out of little and sew. Funny how in these times our sewing skills are credited lol! I hope everyone stays safe!!
                      Last edited by Momofmonsters5; March 13, 2020, 12:50 AM.

Comment

I also have Lupus, and several other autoimmune diseases, have always washed my hands with sanitizer when going in and out of places. Plus I head straight to the sink when I get home. I've been fortunate not to have gotten sick from other peoples germs. I'll be going to WM to see if the panic has gotten to Cushing yet. After picking up my husband from getting a pacemaker yesterday. Been a very long week of 125 mile round trip every day this week. I've been driving with double vision an let me tell you it's no way to drive. But have no choice. The good news about hoarding fabric....it can replace TP. lol but you'll have to empty the trash very often!! P.S. oh, lord it's Friday the 13th, hope I get home ok today!!
                        Last edited by ktdid; March 13, 2020, 03:35 AM.
                        When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
                        Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

• MAMSAN
                          MAMSAN commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Didn't realize it was the 13th until I read your post.
                          Kathy

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
                        It is so weird since this virus supposedly doesn't cause nasal mucous or gastro problems so TP isn't going to be used in excess. It is supposed to cause high fever and a dry cough with lung involvement.
                        People are afraid its made in china and there won't be more....
                        TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

I have Lupus too and other health problems. I live in Marin north of San Francisco and I went to Costco yesterday to pickup my husbands protein shakes and it was a nightmare! Lines to the back of the store, cranky people. No tp or paper towels. This morning I went to Safeway at 8am. Got the last hamburger package and the last package of paper towels, and the last package of long grain rice. Pasta was gone. TP was gone.

Jeannette

Comment

Ktdid-- You are cracking me up about us fabric hoarders using it as a substitute for tp. Not my Moda!! They can have my cheap thin scratchy fabric.
                            Last edited by TMP; March 13, 2020, 03:36 PM.

Comment

We're lucky here so far in our State. No confirmed cases as of yesterday. There is talk of shutting the elem and hs schools down until April although there seems to be a discrepancy as to whether that's true or not. Makes sense to me as there can be no symptoms for 14 days while it's contagious. The large college just north of us is going to video classes instead of the kids going to classrooms. They're saying that there aren't cases in WV because of the prevalence of moonshine :-)
                              https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                              Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X