No announcement yet.

So Much Hoarding!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I would fall in the category of always prepared. When we moved here, the house has a large 8x10 mudroom with shelves to ceilings 10' high. I have enough staples, canned goods, baking supplies, toilet, paoper towels and tissues,cleaning products to last well over 6 months. I rotate items. Although our water is fine, I always keep a case of water, plenty of drinks, beer & wine to last a long time. I've always bought supplies when good sale is on item. When my son was going through difficult time, i would have him come do groceries in our pantry.

Our Prime Minister is speaking live to announce measures to help those affected financially by self quarantine. The group of people under quarantine from the Princess cruise ship have been released, all healthy.

I think it's smart to exercise caution, and let your own health issues be your guide to avoid areas where you could be compromised.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• jjkaiser
      jjkaiser commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh wine. I need to add that to my list. Thanks for the reminder!

We stopped by WM Sunday, the cleaning shelves had bare spaces, but was slayed me was the Lysol and Clorox cleaning products were fairly well stocked. It was the stuff that doesn't kill germs that had been decimated. I just looked at Mike and shook my head. Maybe they just restocked the Lysol. I don't know. They had plenty of TP, too. Didn't go to the 'sick' isles of the store, so I don't know about that area. I've started buying allergy meds and stuff like that from Amazon.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Bubby, I know it is scary where you live. We have been really fortunate here in the Carolinas. I think they have had one case and they evacuated him to DC I think. I'm not following it too much although I am a little concerned about the move and not knowing exactly what is going on down there. I think I am just anxious about everything. I really don't want to upset my routine and this is reeking havoc with me. DH seems to be so motivated.. I can't even get organized to know what I might need. Last night I dreamt I forgot the waffle iron. What the H*** to I really need THAT for. So, I keep telling me that God will care for me and I should be praying for those who have real problems. Mine are so minor.
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

We have 4 cases in TN, only 1 here in the east and it is 75 miles away from us. I have been to the stores and replenished my food and staples supply. I stay about a month ahead on most things, and I buy when items are on sale. So far, the only thing our stores are out of is hand sanitizer. There is a limit on how much you can buy of some items. DH and I are in the elderly class, so we will stay at home as much as possible. We have 2 sons and wives 15 miles away, so will call on them if we desperately need anything. It is a dangerous disease, but not a death sentence if you take precautions and use your head! I would definitely not go on a cruise or fly anywhere. I will stay away from crowds (easy to do in my small town) and if I have to visit a doctor, I will wear a mask. We have 4 or 5 leftover from a bad case of pneumonia 3 years ago. I also have a box of gloves the hospital gave me after hip surgery. Prepare don't panic.

Comment

Originally posted by Cathy F View Post
          It seems a lot of store brand toilet paper is made in China so they will not be getting any more shipments I was also told by a store the same with the paper towels..

New York has 142 cases as of yesterday and my county has one so far. I believe we have to take this seriously and be cautious but not panic. I think the news media has helped panic some of the population. I feel the only news you should believe are the facts coming straight from the CDC.

Who knows what the long term impact from this will be for our economy. Many businesses are going to be affected.
          We live in the toilet paper capital of the US. Look in our basement, you will find cases of TP, paper towels and facial tissues. DH would get the "seconds" free from his previous employer so we have no need to panic/hoard. LOL The other day we did notice at Costco rice was in many carts and the shelf was almost empty.

How many people are in a panic over the flu? I think more people at least in the US die from this each year, I know my mother succumbed to the flu 11 years ago.

Last edited by Trudy A; March 11th, 2020, 03:16 PM.
          One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

• auntstuff
            auntstuff commented
            Editing a comment
            No worries on the rice. Most of it is grown right here in Arkansas.

Originally posted by EnumclawGramma View Post
          The thing that I think is really sad about this, is that there are people who really need supplies that are being hoarded right now, and can't get them. Like masks and gloves. Pain relievers and cold remedies and Vitamins. This "every man for himself" mentality is really sad. I think this is one of those times where you find out who everyone really IS. I blame the hysteria on the media. We're all in this together.
          Exactly!!! People like me that have auto immune disease (systemic lupus), COPD, and a lung cancer survivor with only 34% of my lung capacity anyway, are having trouble finding things like hand sanitizer, and the cleaning supplies we need (like Clorox wipes). I am in the extremely high risk category...so what are people like me supposed to do to get the supplies we actually need to stay safe, when those that are low risk, of getting seriously ill, or dying from this, are hoarding all the necessary supplies. It is scary for someone like me. We don't know how long it lives on surfaces, or many other things about it. People can get it, and not even know...because they are healthy and have very mild symptoms. Handling my mail could put me at risk, since it comes from all over the country. I am not a panicky type person...but this does have me a bit nervous. I have a couple of craft shows coming up, that I have decided not to do.
          We had the man here in St. Louis, who's daughter came back from Italy with it. They were told to self quarantine, and he broke that to take his other daughter to a daddy/daughter dance...and potentially put hundreds of people at risk. I have decided to play it safe, and only go out when I have to...and am washing my hands much more than usual and using hand sanitizer when ever I am out and have to touch anything. I honestly can't afford to get it...period.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

• BarbaraB
            BarbaraB commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm in the same boat. I have SLE and am on a significant dose of Pred right now as well as other health issues. Hubby also has chronic health issues and we are both considered high risk. I made sure our pantry was stocked before the virus was even out of Washington. We're staying at home as much as we can because it'll take only one person in a building with a closed air system or one nasty hand coming east to spread it here. There may be hoarding going on, but so far the stores are keeping up with it. I should add that this neck of the woods is mostly retirement age or older. I'm making my own hand sanitizer and cleaning wipes.

I really believe the media input is playing into the hoarding. I went to Target yesterday and there was no toilet paper, or hand sanitizer. I was glad I already had TP. I don't really use the sanitizer, prefer soap and water, but was curious about supplies. I think we need to be cautious but I'm afraid this can turn into a panic situation which will create more problems.

Comment

We have so far no cases in Alabama. I worry about people in nursing homes and the elderly that live alone. I have always over bought on paper products because I like to buy the largest size at the cheapest price, after all it last almost forever. So I have plenty of that sort of thing and even though it just me I keep the freezer full and cases of water ect. I think I will be good for along time. I have noticed the empty shelves for toilet paper but I haven't gone out and bought extra stuff other than looking for hand sanitizer for the grandkids.

One thing that does scare me is my son flying back and forth from Huntsville, Al to Tallahassee, Fl ever other week . His wife does the same on the weeks he doesn't. He changes planes in Atlanta. He laughs at me when I tell him I am concerned.

I plan on staying out of large groups and washing my hands more .
            Last edited by TMP; March 11th, 2020, 10:18 AM.

Comment

I worry more about who handled the food I just bought..
              TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post

Exactly!!! People like me that have auto immune disease (systemic lupus), COPD, and a lung cancer survivor with only 34% of my lung capacity anyway, are having trouble finding things like hand sanitizer, and the cleaning supplies we need (like Clorox wipes). I am in the extremely high risk category...so what are people like me supposed to do to get the supplies we actually need to stay safe, when those that are low risk, of getting seriously ill, or dying from this, are hoarding all the necessary supplies. It is scary for someone like me. We don't know how long it lives on surfaces, or many other things about it. People can get it, and not even know...because they are healthy and have very mild symptoms. Handling my mail could put me at risk, since it comes from all over the country. I am not a panicky type person...but this does have me a bit nervous. I have a couple of craft shows coming up, that I have decided not to do.
                We had the man here in St. Louis, who's daughter came back from Italy with it. They were told to self quarantine, and he broke that to take his other daughter to a daddy/daughter dance...and potentially put hundreds of people at risk. I have decided to play it safe, and only go out when I have to...and am washing my hands much more than usual and using hand sanitizer when ever I am out and have to touch anything. I honestly can't afford to get it...period.
                Auntiemern, You have every reason to be super cautious and concerned, and are a perfect example of why panic shopping should be avoided, those who need the supplies the most are sadly the ones who are finding it difficult to find what they need.

I noticed yesterday that my office was getting low on TP (down to just a few rolls) so this morning on my way to work I stopped at the grocery store and was happy to see that the shelves were still at least half full. I just bought one package as that will last about a month. Plenty of disinfecting wipes still available too, picked up two packages of those so we can keep our keyboards, phones, and desktops clean. But hand sanitizer and Alcohol are still completely out of stock.

Comment

We live in a very small town and we are used to going to the store and there is zero bread or milk and sometimes no toilet paper. So, I keep us fairly well prepared at all times. We will wash our hands more often than usual, avoid crowds and try not to touch our faces. It is what it is and we will keep praying.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Auntiemern
                    In UK we have home grocery delivery from the food stores, can you do an online order where you live?

Comment

I'm so glad I live on an island right now.
                      Lorie
                      🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                        SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I would wish that was true for all islanders. How er a person from Alberta tested positive for virus after having spent 2 weeks on the islands.

Originally posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post

Our Prime Minister is speaking live to announce measures to help those affected financially by self quarantine. The group of people under quarantine from the Princess cruise ship have been released, all healthy.
                      1 has tested positive at Trenton Military Base. And 1 case in Ottawa has now been confirmed.
                      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                        Editing a comment
                        I've been following closely. I worry about a GF dinner organized by a friend on Friday who has just returned from 3 1/2 week in Europe incl Spain, France & other countries. I am not going but she's not worried she could have picked up virus.

We have 2 confirmed here. We have NO toilet paper here...AT ALL. A truck caring toilet paper arrived late last night at a local store. A guy waiting there bought the entire truck load. I’m thinking toilet paper will cost $$$$ when people need it and will pay anything to get it. We can also not find any kind of sanitizers, cleaners. Wow, people are nuts!

We have always kept stuff in reserve, but looks like it may not be enough.....we will make do and survive!
                      💫 Star lover

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                        Editing a comment
                        I would think that stores would limit the number of packages. It's unfortunate, there are jokes on FB, one showing a roll of toilet paper wrapped in pink ribbon for $3999. And you get free diamond.
                    Working...
                    X