Cutaway stabalizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutaway stabalizer

As you all know, I've been using my embroider machine to make towels , dishtowels, bathmats etc. DH bought me a huge selection of stabalizers a couple of years ago because I was confused and didn't know what kind to get. He said try them all and then you will know. Well, I've been using the tear away and the wash away ones and I had some that just said medium weight so I put it on the back of a bathmat. OMGosh, how do you cut away the stuff and why would you ever use it. What is its reason. I have tried using a razor blade, embroidery scissors, a sharp knife. I can't get it out from the lettering. I've washed it, soaked it....
    Anyway, so now I guess I know that I don't want to use cut away stabalizer.
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Cutaway stabilizer is usually used for something you wear or something with a very dense stitch count. I cut away the excess cutaway stabilizer around the design but the stabilizer stays in the design if it's worn against the body you can iron a stabilizer called Tender Touch on the back of the design so it's not scratchy against the skin. I used tearaway for towels ( and most other things) with a wash away or iron away stabilizer on top of the towel so the stitches don't sink into the nap of the towel. If you are seeing some puckers when you're embroidering you can stop the machine and float an additional piece of stabilizer under the hoop. Hope this helps.
    If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Yes, the stabilizer stays in the design field. Cut around the whole design leaving about 1/2 inch edge of stabilizer.

Comment

Originally posted by Cathy F View Post
        Cutaway stabilizer is usually used for something you wear or something with a very dense stitch count. I cut away the excess cutaway stabilizer around the design but the stabilizer stays in the design if it's worn against the body you can iron a stabilizer called Tender Touch on the back of the design so it's not scratchy against the skin. I used tearaway for towels ( and most other things) with a wash away or iron away stabilizer on top of the towel so the stitches don't sink into the nap of the towel. If you are seeing some puckers when you're embroidering you can stop the machine and float an additional piece of stabilizer under the hoop. Hope this helps.
        That is most helpful. I sure appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post

That is most helpful. I sure appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me
          Any time Terry! I do a lot of machine embroidery if you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them if I can

Comment

Any time Terry! I do a lot of machine embroidery if you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them if I can
            tomorrow I am going to start on some flat cotton weave tea towels with heavy embroider. Medium washaway on the back?
            Terry

Comment

tomorrow I am going to start on some flat cotton weave tea towels with heavy embroider. Medium washaway on the back?
              I would use a medium tear away, and as long as it is a flat weave with no nap or a waffle weave towel you should not need a wash away stabilizer on top of the towel.

This was done with a medium tear away and a wash away stabilizer on top because it was a waffle weave not flat.

Comment

I would use a medium tear away, and as long as it is a flat weave with no nap or a waffle weave towel you should not need a wash away stabilizer on top of the towel.

This was done with a medium tear away and a wash away stabilizer on top because it was a waffle weave not flat.
                That is truly helpful. I really appreciate you time and energy in showing me what I need.
                Terry

Comment

That is truly helpful. I really appreciate you time and energy in showing me what I need.
                  You're more than welcome!

Comment

Working...
                  X