Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever lost all your files when you computer died???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever lost all your files when you computer died???

I mentioned a little while ago that my computer died and I lost access to the many files, a lot of them quilting and picture related, but of course that wasn't all. I had hundreds of them on projects I wanted to do many tutorials I had found on the net free. Just so many things. Actually I had two dead laptops. I had them stored away always thinking maybe someday, maybe someday a miracle would happen and I could retrieve all that work....hours and hours.

I learned many years ago that when I get very upset and aggravated that it's affecting me in my other real life activities I need to refocus my activities so I can use the other side of my brain (like I got with all these new forum changes). Something where I have to go into tunnel vision activities. I decided it was time to pull out those defunked trashed laptops. Time to look at tech utube tutorials. So I began to immerse myself, nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

Looks like I got ALL my files back! TADAAAA! For $12 there is a gadget that will retrieve them I got it from Amazon that would work on the laptop and hard drive I have. The hardest part was I didn't know how to get the harddrive out of the laptop but Google is your friend in this particular instance. I unscrewed a few screws, slipped the hard drive out, put it into the little hard drive enclosure I purchased and plugged it into my other working computers USB port. Plugged in a flashdrive (at least 30 gigs but more is better). You go to your file manager and it will display all the files on the old hard drive. Then you can just copy them to your flash drive :-). Walla!!! I now have all my old tutorials back again!!!! This will work in most cases as there are various reasons you can lose those files, not many actually make it so your files are not retrievable.

When I did it with my other trashed computer which was even older I discovered a wealth of files from back in 2010 where I had done hours of research concerning all the plants/flowers on my property up in Canada that had medicinal properties. Many of them I had made my own recipes for also on that computer. I had around 800 I had researched and written up. I had been thinking of doing an ebook. When that happened I was devastated and never got the energy to redo it. Now it appears I have them back. I'm so happy.

So the $12 product I purchased was called a UGREEN USB3.0 to 2.5 inch SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure. I was at it for 2 days almost nonstop but now I'm feeling a bit better :-). After all that reading, I've decided to try to replace the old hard drives that don't work with new ones. You can get "renewed" ones much cheaper and after all this would be a backup computer. I can do that at a cost of $25 + or -. So I purchased one yesterday to give it a try. I'll get it Thursday and see what I can accomplish by the weekend!!

I'm so proud of myself! What did I accomplish this week? 10 gb of lost files, potentially two renewed backup computers, improved headspace attitude, and yes I even did a little bit of sewing :-) (not to mention new learning skills)

https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Good for you, for persevering and getting all your files back.

A few of my older computers we were able to recover lost files but the old softwares would not work on my new computers, and I didn't want to buy the new programs, so those are gone. However my laptop last year got infected with ransomeware and this was bad. It had encrypted all my files and when geek squad tried to recover, as I had tried, it started deleting my files. Many large companies were infected and paid ransom to get data back. Mine, I didn't think was important enough. Some of the backups I did to hard drives before I realized this was happening, data was also lost.

I was able to recover most of my pictures, as I always made duplicates on CD/DVD. It is frustrating which is why I really print those things I know I want to keep.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Yay! You go! I don't think many people try to do this as it can seem daunting, but it's so very worth it. You should be very proud of yourself!
      I found out how to do this many years ago....I got so frustrated with the small hard drives that are being shipped in computers these days. I refuse to do cloud computing, I have just too many electronic files. So when I got a new computer, I bought a huge hard drive from Amazon at a ridiculous price (cheap that is) and learned how to use these gizmos and transfer everything to the new hard drive. Voila...plenty of room for all kinds of new electronic files.
      It is very satisfying, and in a way, you "won"!
      And your experience underscores my reason for backing up my computers daily (my Mac does this automatically), and monthly for my Windows system. When I back up I have three different methods, so that hopefully, if anything bad happens, I can get back to normal very quickly. A few months ago while I was using Excel, it messed up. It was able to recover the files I had open, but it messed up my system in a very odd way. I reset Windows, reset Office, and still spent hours trying to get it fixed. A 30 minute call to Dell finally fixed it. Computers....when they work they're great. When they don't ........
      Barbara

Comment

Don't you feel awesome? When my laptop died, my son took care of it for me. I got everything I needed off the old hard drive. Now you could use those 'old' hard drives to store files on.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

that is so fabulous you have done this, lost photos last year, (had a comp crash year before), my fault, ran out of space so transferred them to sd card, thought had finished, and switched computer off, the comp wont allow access to open, my other storage place is so safe cannot find it. Am so pleased you got your files back👍😀

Comment

Oh I am so proud of you too!!! I had a similar experience but it did not have a happy ending. My old computer crashed and no I did not have a backup, I know shame on me. I went for a long time telling myself I'll back up next week but just never did. Took crashed computer to two stores and they could not recover any of my files. Best Buy rec taking it to a computer geek out of town who works out of his home (former BB employee) and even he couldn't retrieve anything. I am pretty sure it's a lost cause but hmmm I still have the hard drive and your telling us the exact product you bought to do the file transfer makes me wonder, could I? Should I?? But thanks for a great story with a happy ending!!!

Comment

I just pay my computer whiz a few bucks to dig them out and put on an external drive for me.
              TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                Oh I am so proud of you too!!! I had a similar experience but it did not have a happy ending. My old computer crashed and no I did not have a backup, I know shame on me. I went for a long time telling myself I'll back up next week but just never did. Took crashed computer to two stores and they could not recover any of my files. Best Buy rec taking it to a computer geek out of town who works out of his home (former BB employee) and even he couldn't retrieve anything. I am pretty sure it's a lost cause but hmmm I still have the hard drive and your telling us the exact product you bought to do the file transfer makes me wonder, could I? Should I?? But thanks for a great story with a happy ending!!!
                My feeling was really the nothing ventured nothing gained at that point. Even if I couldn't retrieve them it would still be a learning experience which was something on my bucket list....way way down there. If I couldn't retrieve them then I could still use the computer as a shell to then figure out the mechanics of the laptop (I had built several desktop computers myself years ago but the mechanics are different in a laptop). So ultimately I could only gain no matter which I did.

Both broken computers were doing different things to disallow me from getting to the operating system. The newer one just kept looping that it was running diagnostics but never going anywhere. The older one just stayed blank Black no matter what older CD I had that were suppose to at least get them partially running. The newer one I had no problems with getting the files. The older one not so much. It would show the files but would not let me open any even after I tried transferring them. (So that apparently is a "permissions" problem. I couldn't even get into the Documents section so I could see what was there. I started clicking and playing all over the place because "what the heck". Then I found what appeared to be a Gata drive. I don't know why since I didn't have a G: drive in that computer. I was able to read the files there which all appeared to be the types of things in my old Documents folder. I transferred them to the flashdrive and they work from there. From what I researched people can change the permissions on old drives so I'm now going to use that old computer drive to see if I can learn how to change the "permissions" on it. Another learning curve.

Back before 2010 closer to 2000 they also had gadgets where you could get files off a damaged hard drive. I had one of those (still have it) but the "ports" don't match up with the newer laptops. I had purchased it for about $30 after having previously paid a shop $60 to get the files from a previous damaged computer.

The product I purchased works for many laptops but not all. Some of the harddrives are different dimensions so that took me some research time too. If you PM me exactly what your laptop says it is I might be able to figure out if it will work with yours too. I'll also give you the link of the tutorial I found most helpful (utube)

Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Monique View Post
                  Don't you feel awesome? When my laptop died, my son took care of it for me. I got everything I needed off the old hard drive. Now you could use those 'old' hard drives to store files on.
                  hum, I'm not sure I can reuse the old one now. It would not allow me to put a new BIOS into it back when I considered just wiping it and reinstalling initial software to see if it would restart. (I knew I'd then lose all my docs if I did it that way). I suspect on one computer I had too many "damaged sectors) to get it going and the other since all permissions were changed it probably started with a bad virus that also changed all permissions. humm, maybe I'll play around with it more once I get the other things going :-)

Comment

Commenting so I can find my way back to this. I also have lost two laptops worth of files and felt like I almost went through a grieving process! I was just sick over losing everything I had on them, but I could never bring myself to recycle them. Your post made my heart skip a tiny beat.

Comment

Originally posted by BarbaraB View Post
                      Yay! You go! I don't think many people try to do this as it can seem daunting, but it's so very worth it. You should be very proud of yourself!
                      I found out how to do this many years ago....I got so frustrated with the small hard drives that are being shipped in computers these days. I refuse to do cloud computing, I have just too many electronic files. So when I got a new computer, I bought a huge hard drive from Amazon at a ridiculous price (cheap that is) and learned how to use these gizmos and transfer everything to the new hard drive. Voila...plenty of room for all kinds of new electronic files.
                      It is very satisfying, and in a way, you "won"!
                      And your experience underscores my reason for backing up my computers daily (my Mac does this automatically), and monthly for my Windows system. When I back up I have three different methods, so that hopefully, if anything bad happens, I can get back to normal very quickly. A few months ago while I was using Excel, it messed up. It was able to recover the files I had open, but it messed up my system in a very odd way. I reset Windows, reset Office, and still spent hours trying to get it fixed. A 30 minute call to Dell finally fixed it. Computers....when they work they're great. When they don't ........
                      Barbara, that's pretty much what I'm doing now. The new desktop I got has oodles of space. Also I too refuse to use "Cloud" technology. I use to think I was so computer saavy way back when and I insisted backing everything up to CD's. And I did. Even my files for the plant medicinal stuff I had worked on. I thought I had three ways to get at that stuff. Turned out I decided to get "organized" and purchased a program that finds duplicates because I had back it up all over the place. I ran the files several times and was satisfied everything worked. What I didn't realize was the darn program only had the original file on one drive and all the others were "shortcuts". So when the hard drive failed all the other places referred back to that place which of course now didn't work. Talk about a wanting to shoot yourself in the head moment. I'm much more careful about what programs I purchase now!

Comment

That's awesome, Carlie. I'm glad you were able to recover so much!
                        Katrina
                        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Carlie ~ Congratulations on a job well done. What you did is certainly beyond my skills. The computer coaches at our senior center's computer lab are my best friends. I purchased a 2 TB hard drive from Staples. One of the coaches stored all my files on the HD, then transferred them over to my new laptop. I feel very fortunate not to have lost any files in the 9 yrs. of using my old laptop, in spite of the fact that (shame on me!) I never backed up anything.

Comment

Wowowow!! So happy for you - and inspired by your bravery at tackling a very upsetting problem. Well done!

Comment

MM is a computer guru and is able to find things that have disappeared. I had one of those photo frames you can put a card into and it flips thru your photos. Well, I had all my photos from my trip to NYC in it and it erased them all!!! Somehow, he was able to work magic and got them all back. He's a good guy to keep around.
                              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• jjkaiser
                                jjkaiser commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I vote we all send our broken computers to you. Your husband can fix them which will give you more time in your sewing room. Win win for everyone. Well except dh maybe lol!!!
                            Working...
                            X