Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only one who is fearful to cut fabric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only one who is fearful to cut fabric?

I am an American living in Canada (henceforth referred to as CanadaLand, the Great White North, Snow Central or some other freaking cold word). I was and am SHOCKED at the price of fabric up here. I mean-who in their right mind would pay $20 a meter for fabric (don't answer that!).

When I started quilting last spring, I went on a fabric mission. Find nice fabric at a decent price. Let's just say, it doesn't happen up here. It's expensive and that's that. Ok, fine, let's look online for nice fabric. I quickly found MSQC. Oooohhh, the daily deals. (ok, Vicky take a breath and refocus on this post)

So, back to the topic at hand. I now find myself afraid to cut my fabric. I mean, geeeessh, its like cutting gold. If I screw up, it is screwed up for good-no running back to the store for more fabric. By the time I reorder and have it shipped, it will probably be discontinued.

I am petting my pretty fabric today . . . my precious. Time to be brave and cut it. Take that leap, bite the bullet, etc. Besides, if I cut wrong, I can always buy the DD.

Re: Am I the only one who is fearful to cut fabric?

Being new I am always afraid of messing up but onward and upward
    These things, I warmly wish for you-
    Someone to love, some work to do,
    A bit'o sun, a bit'o cheer.
    And a guardian angel always near.

(¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•Shannon

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=63
    http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=64

Comment

Vicky, how funny - be brave and cut - If you make a little whoops you can cut it down or design around it.
      Find an old sheet or something to practice cutting with - you can do it!
      ~Kathy~

Comment

lol @my precious. I'm not scared to cut fabric,but I'm scared to pick out the wrong pattern that fit's the fabric. I want to get beyond d9p and sliced layer cakes. So I keep buying dd deals and hope they speak to me.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I'm terrified every time I cut something. Just remember, measure twice, cut once. If that fails I always tell myself, well, I'm just being creative
          "Quilters live pieceful lives"

Comment

Originally posted by Shaylene99 View Post
            I'm terrified every time I cut something. Just remember, measure twice, cut once. If that fails I always tell myself, well, I'm just being creative
            Sounds like me, and I have to talk myself into cutting .

Proverbs 17:22

22 A happy heart is good medicine,
            but low spirits sap one’s strength.

May God richly bless you daily..
            Kay

Comment

I know how you feel, here in England moda fabric is about £13-14 per yard, one reason why I'll never amass a nice big stash and why, like you, I stand cutter in hand, terrified to make a wonky cut ( and I have, several times!). I am getting better though, I think you just have to show it who's boss, take a deep breath and go for it.

Comment

Yes Yes and Yes! I am another cold Canadian and fabric prices are extreme here. I too could not bring myself to cut into my fabric stash for fear of wrecking it. I suddenly realized that I had better start using it because I can't stand the thought that when I am gone it will be in a yard sale. My daughter and daughter in law would probably have no use for it sooo I started cutting. I began to do the craftsy bom last year and when I had all the blocks on the wall I hated a lot of them. So I started making various blocks that interested me. Then I found paper piecing which is my current obsession...well talk about wasting fabric !!!!! But you know I am so enjoying the whole process and I get such inspiring ideas here and on the web that the fabric does not matter so much anymore. I do not know when I will finish my BOM but I am having a blast and heck I can always buy more fabric right!...Val

Comment

Send it to me. I'll cut it and send it back.
                  I was terrified to quilt the darned thing. My walking foot and I had a pretty serious disagreement the first time I used it and nearly ruined the top. I think threats to turn it into a garden implement must have worked. We are working together much, much better.

I'd suggest that you go to a thrift shop, rummage, garage, or yard sale and buy some cotton shirts. Cut them apart and practice with those. You can make some nice things from them and not worry about ruining your expensive quilting cottons until you have gained some more experience.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel
                  because those who mind don't matter,
                  and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Be brave, my dear friend! Just plan and go ahead and cut! You can always make lemons out of lemonade!

Comment

I think everyone on this site has done this. I still hesitate sometimes. Then I realize that I am allowing a piece of fabric or a pattern intimidate me. So, I pull up my "big girl clothes" and with ruler and rotary cutter in hand, I attack. And I read the pattern twice, measure twice, cut once, and then check my 1/4" seam to make sure it's good, and go for it. If it's wrong, I use what I can for another pattern that I am familiar with and make something else. I've done some pretty neat stuff, if I do say so myself. So, just grab the bull by the horns, and give it a go. The worse that can happen is, you will learn something new every time. "Practice makes perfect", well maybe not perfect but it is all a learning experience, and perfect isn't all it's cracked up to be. Better will come from non-perfect, experience from practice, and pride in your work will follow. And most importantly, have FUN with it! A good laugh over our mistakes, make great stories.
                      Have fun Sweetie, and just go for it! Hugs, Jan L.

Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shape-Cut-...ntlyViewedItem
                        I tried this for the first time today.
                        AMAZING. I would HIGHLY recommend, especially for NEWBIES, like me!
                        I really need to get off the exclamation point.
                        It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

I have anxiety when I cut fabric the first time. After a few cuts, I'm fine. But, I do have to remind myself to check before cutting. Measure twice, cut once. LOL

Comment

I love cutting fabric. I love cutting fabric for clothing. Very few straight lines to worry about. Cutting fabric for quilts is a different thing. I drive myself crazy measuring over and over and over again. I bought some dots, little round pieces of sandpaper with adhesive on one side that go on your rulers. I put them on. They keep the rulers from sliding. I love them. I now love cutting quilting fabric.

Just do it!
                            Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Oh Vicky, I understand COMPLETELY! It feels so wrong to be cutting up something that you almost had to give up your first born for lol If you think prices are bad in Quebec, take a trip to "Da Rock" and you may just be appreciative of your LQS
                              *Dee*
                              Believe
                              There Is
                              Good In The World

Comment

Working...
                              X