Sad day at work........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad day at work........

When I came in at work this morning (prison) there were co-workers waiting for everybody at the door.....
    I was told that an imate lost it yesterday and a guard (female) was in the hospital after he beat her up.....I am in shock.........she has 4 broken ribs, a broken elbow, she got kicked on her head more than once, and today the doctors will run tests to see if there is braindamage...........
    I was in tears when I found out who the guard was, I know her very well and we work together for over 14 years now......she is a sweet lady a little older than I am.
    After we had a briefing, I went to my barbershop, called some people and went to the part where the inmates are living, talked to a few and there I heard that I could not start working today, to dangerous.......
    I am still in shock, I want to make her a quilt, looking for patterns, one moment I am sad the other moment I am mad.......brings back memories when it all went out of controle at my salon with an inmate..........this is the hard part of working in prison.........you never know how the day will end..........

This could have been me.....everybody was thinking the same thing, this is what we are dealing with now a days.........just out of the blue, complete crazy and she was almost thrown from the third floor all the way down, she was smart enough to get on the floor so she could hold on to the bars......his feet kicked her where he could, till there was help.........I hope she will recover but in her mind this will never be over......I feel so bad for her!!!!

I will start a quilt, need a pattern that is quick and easy, so I can bring it over to her while she is in the hospital.

Thanks for reading, I need to get it out of my system, need to talk about it, this is so sad.............
    Last edited by Klasien; November 5, 2012, 04:40 AM.
    It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive!

www.memoryquiltsbyklasien.nl

Re: Sad day at work........

OMG how terrible, by the sounds of it you will all need to do lots of talking, I hope they have organised counselling for every one, good luck with the quilting, you make some beautiful quilts very quickly I am sure you will come up with something, please keep us updated on your friends conditions, sending big hugs and prayers
    Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone. . . Not your housework!!

Leoniesigpic

Comment

Klasien, I'm really sorry about your friend and will pray that she will survive this brutal attack. This really is a sad situation and I hope that you can soon heal too. You must be a really strong lady to even work in such a dangerous place, I could never do it. Hugs and prayers for you too.
      TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

Oh Klaisen, my prayers are with your friend. How awful for her and for you and your co-workers - prayers with you all.

The only thing I can suggest is forget all the cutting here and there, I would just take some large squares (a layer cake if you have one) and just sew them all together. A big, square blocks quilt. Then you just layer, quilt, and bind it. Designs and shapes are nice in a quilt, but this way you get it done and to her. She will love it.

Hugs - my friend,
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
        http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
        http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I'm so sorry to read about this -- I hope your friend recovers quickly. How nice of you to want to make her a quilt -- a jelly roll race quilt would go together pretty quickly -- you could use some very soft/soothing colors. I'm sure it would brighten her hospital room so much to have something made just for her. You and your coworkers will need a lot of time to process and deal with this, too. Take care.
          Dawn
          A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Comment

Hi Klasien, I hope your friend heals quickly, as least physically. Glad it wasn't you. Take care my friend.
            Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

So sorry to hear about your friend. Prayers being sent up to the heavens for her quick recovery.

I would do a bright and cheery Jelly Roll Race Quilt.. They are fast and easy. You can always applique a heart or something on to it too.
              Donna
              MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic

Comment

Klasien, I pm'd you back, Hon. I think a jellyroll race quilt would be a perfect choice. Big Hugs, Barb
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

So sorry to hear this. Working in a prison has got to be very stressful work. I hope your friend heals quickly, but it sounds like it will be a while. I'll say some prayers for her. And yes, I vote for Jelly Roll Race quilt for her, you could make it in a day. Get 6 1/2 yard pieces of bright fabric, you can cut each into 7 pieces, then you have enough for your quilt. This is, if you don't already have a jelly roll in your possession. 40-42 strips make a ver nice size lap quilt.

Comment

Hi Klasien, So sorry to hear about your friend from work.......that must have been terrifying for her and all of you. Know that we are all praying for her recovery. I know that she will appreciate a quilt from you. I will be thinking of & praying for you too.
                    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Oh, Klaisen, how awful for all of you. Making her a quilt will give you both comfort. There is Quick a strippie donation quilt that works up quickly......with the right colors it is stunning. I believe this is the link. maryquilts.com

Take care, Klaisen and hope you can feel my electronic hug around you.
                      Cynthia

Comment

How awful! Hope your friend makes a full recovery.
                        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Shaking for you and your friend and all your co-workers. We just never know what peril awaits us.

Prayers to everyone effected.
                          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Klasien , so sorry to hear about your friend. Praying things go well with her. I agree with everyone else. A Jelly Roll race quilt will be nice. But if you don't have that on hand then if you have a layer cake or some charm packs that match I would just sew those together alternating colors for something just plain and simple. She will appreciate the quilt but the thought and time you put in it will mean just as much to her. Good luck and stay safe.

Comment

I would love to make the Jellyroll Race Quilt, but I don't have a jellyroll.....

So I searched the web and found a little harder to do, but still simple enough to make, tomorrow is my day off, so I will work on it for the entire day.
                              http://www.maryquilts.com/wp-content...le-4-patch.pdf

Thanks for all the love and support, I am emotional and most of the time mad at the inmate, but also aware that this could have been me......I have been in danger with one of the inmates several years ago, I know now that that experience has left a little scar, I don't feel it anymore, but today that little scar is open and hurting again......I think about that scarry day a lot also today.......

Back to my quilt!!!
                              It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive!

www.memoryquiltsbyklasien.nl

Comment

Working...
                              X