Ok now...please be kind...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok now...please be kind...

I'm looking at Husqvarna Sewing/Embroidery machines and some of them mentions "dongles"...

The only brands of machines I've ever owned is Janome and Singer...

The question is..."What is a dongle" and what is it used for...
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Re: Ok now...please be kind...

The dongle is a writer that attaches to your computer and transfers designs from the computer to a card that then is inserted into the embroidery machine so you can sew out a downloaded design. I hope that makes some sense.

Comment

thats why i got the new singer futura hooks up to the laptop so you can see the design in its screen not a lil lcd screen...
      These things, I warmly wish for you-
      Someone to love, some work to do,
      A bit'o sun, a bit'o cheer.
      And a guardian angel always near.

(¯`v´¯)
      `*.¸.*´
      ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
      (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•Shannon

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=63
      http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=64

Comment

I'm sure Claire has the proper terminology for it, but for those of us who don't know the lingo: basically, it's a connecter to make two electronic devices talk to each other.
        Be who you are and say what you feel
        because those who mind don't matter,
        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Obviously designed by a man. Just saying . . .
          (a woman would make it much simpler to understand and use happy words like choco licious to name this coupler)
          Sewing mends the soul.
          sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
          Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
          ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie View Post
            (a woman would make it much simpler to understand and use happy words like choco licious to name this coupler)
            LOL or at least we'd name it a thing-a-ma-jig....everyone knows what those are.
            Shirley aka buckeyequilter
            I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Is it like a memory stick/thumb drive/usb drive? I think I saw one in an ad for a Husqvara Viking embroidery machine.

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyequilter View Post
                ...Or a "do-hickey", that's universal speak for "thing-a-ma-jig"
                *~* Myrna *~*
                *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. The dongle is a license verification device that becomes active after the product is registered. It is used by Husqvarna to license the embroidery software. It is a security device.

A software protection dongle is a small piece of hardware that plugs into an electrical connector on a computer and serves as an electronic "key" for a piece of software; the program will run only when the dongle is plugged in. The term "dongle" was originally used to refer only to software-protection dongles; however, currently "dongle" is often used to refer to any small piece of hardware that plugs into a computer. This article is limited in scope to dongles used for the purpose of copy protection or authentication of software to be used on that system.[1]
                  Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                  it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Originally posted by MRoy View Post
                    Or the "thing-a-ma-bob" & a "whatcha-ma-callit"
                    Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

lol i was at a ornament class last week and one of the ladies brought this up, she had bought an older machine and was hoping she could get the dongle for it... and we all were like.... umm?.. She explained and we all laughed ....2nd time in a week i heard that expression.

Comment

Thanks everyone!!! I think I know what it is now.....Its one of those things...well you know...one of those things....
                        TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie View Post
                          Originally posted by buckeyequilter View Post
                          Originally posted by MRoy View Post
                          Originally posted by Jess1377 View Post
                          Or the "thing-a-ma-bob" & a "whatcha-ma-callit"
                          Don't you mean a "Chummy-jigger"? lol Seriously though, a "dongle" usually refers to a usb key/thumb drive (whatever you want to call it) that often comes with some type of pre-loaded software. In my experience anyway And you can be sure it was named by a man, because a woman would never come up with something that sounds so perverted lol
                          *Dee*
                          Believe
                          There Is
                          Good In The World

Comment

Originally posted by Musical_Starling View Post
                            And you can be sure it was named by a man, because a woman would never come up with something that sounds so perverted lol
                            No kidding! 'Cause Dongleberries belong to boys in our family.
                            sigpic Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Comment

Working...
                            X