X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toggpine
    replied
    Re: Christmas Day

Lets see. Christmas Eve 3 to 5 here at our home with no huge fuss. (Girlfriend factor: will he bring her here, or go to her parent's place???)
    We used to have a big get-together @ Mom's with the extended step-family, but that got too crazy since one family would have to fly out that evening to be home for Christmas AM with her family. Now we get together with them later in the week.
    Christmas Morning we go to Mom's for brunch with the immediate family. That will be at least 7 possibly 9 (GF factor).
    Depending on who slept in, we'll head home for our own presents under the tree and a laid back supper, again 3 to 5 for that. If Em stays true to form, presents will have to wait until we get home because she will be barely out of bed in time to get to Nana's! I'll have either a ham or turkey for our supper. Eric may smoke a turkey again this year. That turned out yummy last year.

Hubby isn't huge on the Christmas thing. He feels it's way too commercial, and he's not very religious. It has been a real struggle, but I am finally getting him to at least listen to Christmas carols again and begin to tolerate decorating for the holidays. Pretty much the rustic stuff with the evergreens and a few lights. He's made some big strides in the last few years since Emily is getting more into the holiday thing. Here is to hope that he continues to grow out of the bah-humbug grinch suit!

We may pick up a stray neighbor or two for either Christmas Eve or Christmas supper. We have a few whose family is far off and if they don't have other plans they know they are welcome here. We don't usually know until a few days before though.

Leave a comment:

• MayinJerset
    replied

Just yesterday my DIL told me we would be 7 for Christmas Dinner this year. DS#3, DDIL, DGD Catherine, DH and I as usual and joining us this year is DGD's boyfriend and his Mom. Hmm, think things are getting really serious between the young couple. DGD met her boyfriend's dad in June when we all were in Las Vegas for her sister's wedding. DGD will be hosting Christmas Lunch/Dinner, she has been doing it ever since she moved into her condo 3 years ago. Too early to know what the menu will be but DDIL and I always bring something for the dinner. May in Jersey
    Last edited by MayinJerset; September 25, 2012, 11:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• madampolo
    replied

We usually only have my daughter and her husband on Christmas Day, but Roger's kids start driving from Atlanta on Christmas Day and arrive the next day. We then have a house full for a week.

Leave a comment:

• Monique
    replied

This year I will have ALL my children here. 8, 9 including the dog.

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

Our plans are 'weather permitting'. If the weather cooperates, we should have eight - if it doesn't, there will be three of us (counting Molly).

Leave a comment:

• New York Sue
    replied

Seems a certain someone must have missed this post...
    Back to the top!

Leave a comment:

• Mimi2boys
    replied

I hope to have 8. 3 grandsons, daugther, son-in-law, and BFF (former SIL). Kids have their own Christmas and join us for lunch, gifts & dinner. Busy day.

Leave a comment:

• BellasQuilts
    replied

I am not a lover of Christmas since it has been so commercialized it doesn't even resemble what it is supposed to be about. I'd rather go to the beach than do a Christmas dinner. We usually just do a breakfast then a Christmas exchange and no dinner. I usually just serve munchie stuff (good munchies) all day. DD#1 is always doing ballet costumes for "A Christmas Carol" and is usually on the road and DD#2 married, SIL's family has big dinners. We will probably go to their house to celebrate DGS' first Christmas together and then do Christmas exchange here at our house when DD#1 can get here. What I used to do BIG TIME is Thanksgiving. Hopefully I can round up a few strays and get at least 12 around the table this year. Yep, give me Thanksgiving over Christmas any time.

Leave a comment:

• pcbatiks
    replied

Our group will probably be 10 for Christmas meal.

Leave a comment:

• New York Sue
    replied

A GLORIOUS eight!
    First Grand due any day!

Leave a comment:

• ChristineB
    replied

Either Christmas day or Boxing day (the day after Christmas) our daughters and their husbands & kids and my mom & step dad will be at my place - that's 11. Then for New Years, my sister and her family come and we do it all over again (maybe not my mom & step dad). With that crowd it's 14 or 16!
    We alternate every year (between Christmas Day or Boxing Day); on the alternate day, our daughters each go to their in-laws. My husband and I did that with our parents when we were younger and now our kids are doing it. Luckily in Ontario, Boxing Day is a holiday and most offices are closed.

Leave a comment:

• Cellomom
    replied

We have around 12-15 depending on the BF GF situation. Lots of food TV sports and a competitive board games. Sandy I love that u set a place to honor Jesus. My sweet sister and spunky mom and I trade off hosting holidays. Love the time to see everyone together.

Leave a comment:

• Musical_Starling
    replied

Originally posted by janluna View Post
    Dena, I was going to invite you but the others beat me to it. (> And I think I'm closest to you. If you change your mind, let me know. Use to be 25 to 30 at my house. I did all the cooking, and I loved it. Then Emily got sick and she had to be home. She was Nutrapenic at the time. So we went there and have been ever since. So, there will be 7 of us. Unless Dena wants to cross one of the bridges into NY. Then there will be 8.
    And Dee, You are correct in your meal times. In this area, Dinner was always the big meal, at Noon, and Supper was always around 5 or 6 P.M. in the evening. Those are farm hours in Western NY. But then city slickers came to town, turned the town into a small city, and went and changed our meals all around. Now, there is no supper, Dinner is anywhere from 6 to 9 P.M. Lunch is at Noon or 3, 2,or 1, depending on when people do or don't eat breakfast. Which of course is now 10 to 11 A.M. Unless of course, you do have to work, or go to school. Then Breakfast is 6 or 7 A.M. In my Grandmother's house, It was normal to have supper at 5, and "tea" at 3. I know that's not normal "tea" but Grammie said new country, new rules. Even though she was born here. She had a very English Mum! When my brother and I were young, we were supposed to call Grammie, Grandmother. By the time my first son was born, she was allowing Grandma. However, when Joey started talking she became his Grammie. Then I got away with it and so did my other son, and even my husband. How I miss her! She passed at age 96 in 1986, as sharp as a tack. My boys miss her too. I'm including my husband in with the boys. That's what she called the 3 of them, "My boys." My Mom had gone to the dark side and had Dinner at night. Grammie, didn't like that. lol Well, I will shut up for now. God Bless everyone, Love, hugs and Prayers, Jan L.
    It's good to know I'm not completely weird and someone else knows it as dinner and supper lol Here it's still dinner at noon and supper at 5, although there have been times that supper hasn't been until 8 or 9 if one of us was working a long shift. But on a normal day, it's dinner at noon and supper at 5. And all of the "older folk" like my grandparents are VERY rigid with that rule! lol And all of my grandmothers have been "Nan", but my Mom's dad is "Poppy" while my Dad's dad is "Granddad". And my mom called her grandmothers "Gramma". Everyone likes a different name I guess

Leave a comment:

• csarina
    replied

Just the two of us as it has been for the last 3 years. Gone for ever are the 20+ we used to have........scattered around the country, some passed on......

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

Originally posted by Quilting Buddy View Post
    It will be just me again this year.
    You are more than welcome here. Just let me know!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X