Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Elephant in the Room...

I just had to tell you this...

I look after my Mother and Father in Law. They moved in with us about three years ago after an illness meant my FIL could no longer care for my MIL, who has been ill since my Hubby was born. Now, my FIL is your typical stubborn-as-an-ass Midlands Irishman. He's a sweetheart, though and 80 years of age. He's also as deaf as a post and REFUSES to accept it. This has caused quite a few misunderstandings between myself nd himself, which he puts down to my 'flightiness' (!) and tendency to 'mumble'(!!).

This afternoon, I was preparing the dinner when I FELT, rather than heard Steve Wilkos berating a chap about a paternity test. (my MIL and FIL are ADDICTED to those scary programmes!) The volume was up so high the fillings in my teeth were vibrating! I ran into the sitting room to ask WHY ON EARTH the telly was up so high and, of course, my FIL wouldn't admit that it was up so high because he couldn't hear it. This is what happened next...

Jen: The telly's too loud! Can't you hear it?
    FIL: What?
    Jen: THE TELLY IS TOO LOUD!!!! (grabs zapper and turns off the sound)
    FIL: I was watching that! (annoyed)
    Jen: Seriously Jack, this is getting ridiculous. You need your hearing tested.
    FIL: WHAT!?!
    Jen: I SERIOUSLY THINK YOU MIGHT BE A WEE BIT DEAF!
    FIL: I'M NOT SHAGGING DEAF!!!
    Jen: Don't you think it's evident?
    FIL: WHO THE HELL ARE YOU CALLING AN ELEPHANT!!!!????

Oh, Lord. I just about laughed myself silly.
    =^..^= "As you sew, so shall you rip" =^..^=

.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
    ¸.·´¯`·..·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
    .·´¯`·.><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Re: The Elephant in the Room...

LOL! Thanks so much for sharing, what a funny story!
    Cathryn

Comment

I am cracking up. The local hearing aid places keep sending out these beautifully engraved announcements to come in for a free hearing check. They are always addressed to Al and the granddaughters love it if one arrives when they are around. They do tease him for me. Actually he's not that bad . . . yet.

So funny, Jenny. My bubble-laughter shot of the day.
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

LOL!!!!!! How funny. But I understand where you are coming from. My DH is only 51 and has trouble hearing certain tones. I will be sleeping and he will decide to watch a movie and have the volume turned up so that at the first loud noise in the movie I am awake! He really needs a hearing aid but refuses to go. I even bought him a listening device so he wouldn't have to turn up the volume so loud but he won't use that either.
        Donna
        MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic

Comment

What a great story. I have been laughing out loud so much I had to read it to my husband.
          It was funny that my DGM [95] and great aunt [93] lived together in an apartment, you could hear their TV when you got to the vestibule a staircase below yet they could hear one another in a normal tone of voice.

Comment

Oh, boy, life at your house sounds like a laugh a minute!

Comment

Your story is hilarious! But so true...I've visited my parents and have left their home with my ears ringing because their TV is so loud. I feel your pain. Aren't you just the sweetest DIL with a caring heart
              cellomom:icon_wave:

Comment

What a riot! That is just so funny. Can't stop the giggles now.

There's an 'elephant' asleep in my bedroom right now so I shouldn't wake him
                May your sorrows be patched and your joys be quilted

Comment

I got a real good laugh from your story! As someone who has a significant hearing loss in one ear (and yes, I have a hearing aid), I really feel for you! It can be so hard living with someone who is hearing impaired. But, there is nothing wrong with needing an aide, its just like needing to wear glasses.

My father who is almost 88 got his very first hearing aid a year ago and it has helped him tremendously. Before that, there were times I had to call him on the PHONE to tell him we were outside ringing the doorbell and to come let us in!!!
                  When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

So funny!!!
                    My dh has 2 hearing aids, so not too bad now...still doesn't hear everything---just what he wants to...lol
                    My dd was hard of hearing and when we would visit, you could hear his tv when you pulled in the alley behind their house...the walls literally did vibrate most of the day at his house!!!
                    Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

LOL! Nice to 'hear' I'm not the only one on this forum who has experienced this!

Poor Jack, he's a wee dote of a man but try to get him to do something he's set his mind against... oh, my! His old bed was a health hazard when they moved to our house (his wife has a special electric bed) so I replaced it while he was in hospital. Did he make me skip for it? Oh, yes! Still, if he'd only admit it, I think he really likes it... LOL!!

.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Comment

LOL thanks for sharing this Jen! You have such a wonderful way of telling a story. Do you blog??
                        sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

Thanks for the laugh.

I think my DH has a hearing problem too..I can sit right next to him and I have to have him repeat what he says sometimes because I can't hear him - the TV is so loud. Sometimes I practically have to read his lips so I know what he's saying.
                          Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                          I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Originally posted by EnumclawGramma View Post
                            LOL thanks for sharing this Jen! You have such a wonderful way of telling a story. Do you blog??
                            I don't actually. I have thought about it but I'm afraid I haven't the discipline to do it regularly - I can just aboout gather myself to feed everyone three times a day!

My Dad is the best yarn spinner I know, so if I can tell a tale... I expect "t'wasn't off the stones I licked it!"

.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Comment

That is just to funny. DH is very hard of hearing too, but just won't go get anything done about it. I am always getting on him about the volume. Funny though how he can be at the other end of the house, and if I am on the phone, he can hear what I am talking about.
                              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X