Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not here to hurt anybody, I just want some yardage....and maybe this thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not here to hurt anybody, I just want some yardage....and maybe this thread.

Hi all,

New here...been reading the forums for a few weeks or so. Figured I'd start things off with a question.

Is it JUST me, or does every man that walks into a major fabric retailer (I won't tell you her name but, it starts with a "J" and ends with Ann) get treated like some sort of hideous, monster that's there to burn down the village?

One time I was repeatedly asked "Do you need to call her and find out what she wants?"

I asked the woman who "She" was and why I would care what she does or doesn't want. (Pretty sure I offended her. Not quite sure how)

I'm really getting tired of it... geesh!

So, I've taken to buying up things I find online and even more stuff from that person. ( I had to buy it...it was on sale!) :p

So is it just me, or am I just being too sensitive? And why didn't anyone tell me how addictive this stuff is? And what am I going to do with this 3,000 yards of fabric I have piled in my living room? Where am I going to find the time? And why does the puppy insist on eating my 10" squares? Is he out in the back yard making me a present?

Too many questions already and the journey is just beginning.

Have a great night, everybody. I'm gonna go grab a sandwich (and a cookie for the dogs) and hit the rack early.

W-
    Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend...
    inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. — Groucho

Re: I'm not here to hurt anybody, I just want some yardage....and maybe this thread.

Hello there and welcome to the Forum from Wisconsin! Idk quite how to answer you, being a lady myself I have not experienced the negativity you did from clerks at Jo Ann's. I have seen men waiting at the cutting table so while you are definitely outnumbered by the ladies, you aren't all alone. Looking forward to seeing what you are making if the dog doesn't get it first!

Comment

Re: I'm not here to hurt anybody, I just want some yardage....and maybe this thread.

W., you may not fit the "norm" for J's customer profile, but you Dear Sir are going to fit in here just fine

Sense of humor, fabric hoarder, and a pet lover, yup you're definitely our kind of people!
      Welcome to the club and to the forum.

Comment

What a great first post! Welcome to the fold (pun intended.) And good luck on future shopping trips. Let me offer a story.

My husband would go there, among other fabric shops, to buy kids prints for pillowcases. He'd was proud to rebuff comments with "Thanks for the offer to help but a man's gotta do what a man want's to do." Those ladies would walk away thoroughly confused.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ~ There are a few men on the Forum, but they're not always vocal. In the world of quilting, there are many men quilters & longarmers. Sorry for the reception you've received in quilt stores. You'll find many sources of fabric on line that will help you build your stash. Yes, quilting can be addictive. Feel free to chime in here, ask questions, etc. We're a friendly bunch.

Comment

Hi Mr Woofus I never went into that store, we don't have them here. Guys are in my local shops all the time. Not so much for quilting, but things like surf board bags and such. I had a puppy that peed on some charm packs, so I feel your pain there.

We like to talk about recipes here, so if you have a good vegetarian tamale I'd love to see it
            "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

My DH frequents that store often. Sometimes with me, sometimes without. He has not experienced any attitude like that, believe i would have heard about it if he had. During busy times/big sales it is his job to stand in line to get fabric cut while I scope out other items I need
              “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Welcome! Now you know how I feel when I go to buy tractor parts for my husband and some jerk calls me "honey" and talks down to me. LOL! Don't let 'em get to you.
                *~* Myrna *~*
                *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Hello and Welcome! (I have three woofy dogs myself, one of whom recently used a jelly roll as a teething toy. It was really my fault since it was in a box on the floor because I have too much fabric to put away properly.) Everyone on this forum is very kind and very helpful. So glad you jumped in to join us.

Jeannette

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcomes everybody. (ANYTHING warm is welcome these days!)

No Tamale recipes...can't remember the last time I had a Tamale but ironically "The Tamale Guy" was at work yesterday. (We get a different food truck at our office each day). Didn't make it out there.

"The Baby" is going through his "Chew on everything" stage. How many years does that last, again? He just turned 14 months a few days ago. The "Big guys" are 7. (Will be 8 in a few weeks)

Just getting ready for work. One more day to survive this week. It's supposed to hit the mid 40's today. Whoop-dee-doo!

Will start hitting the recipe section later on. Plus, I have GOT to get back on my first quilt. Been too busy thinking about every other "Great Idea" that I must do and haven't done much else.

Have a great day!

Woofus
                    Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend...
                    inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. — Groucho

Comment

Welcome from Canada.
                      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Originally posted by MRoy View Post
                        Welcome! Now you know how I feel when I go to buy tractor parts for my husband and some jerk calls me "honey" and talks down to me. LOL! Don't let 'em get to you.
                        Yepper, not nice at all. Been in that situations many times with purchases of what are routinely thought of as "guy" things. Most of my local stores now know me well, so it's stopped. In many cases, they realized I probably know as much or more than they do, I just can't find exactly what I need and am not going to spend my valuable time trying to find it. The world is changing for the better. Courtesy seems to be kicking in regardless of gender.
                        “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
                        “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

Welcome from Missouri.
                          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I get the same reception except mine is a hardware / lumber store. I love woodworking, I literally took my quilting ruler out to the shop, and figured if I can cut fabric, then I can cut lumber, replacing a rotary cutter with a circular saw. I've made all my cabinets in my sewing room. My reply to people is "Where is the store manager"? I'd like to express my gratitude for treating me with such disrespect! I usually say to them "You know, you really can't fix stupid can you??
                            When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
                            Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Welcome!

I have several friends that have their husbands go to Joann's for them - or at least stand in line at the cutting table, so maybe the clerks are used to them calling "her" to see what she wants. Anyway, just handle it with a sense of humor and they will soon know you and not ask that anymore.

Just a warning (though it sounds as though you don't need it - already too late) Online fabric shopping can be very addicting!
                              Donna

Comment

Working...
                              X