Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey ya'll from Mississippi

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hey ya'll from Mississippi

    Howdy.
    Check out my profile if you wish, I don't mind. However I am taken.

    Popping in/on from Mississippi.

    We just recently got a Gammill long arm machine, and I've been learning how to do edge to edge quilting on it. I'm the main operator of the machine.
    My mom is sharing some of her 30+ years of sewing and quilting (tops) experience with me. We are attempting to get into the business of doing the long arm service for others locally.

    So far after advertisements in 2 smallish town newspapers, one state bulletin, and a craigslist service ad, we have gotten zero emails, and zero phone calls.

    I/we refuse to do facebook for personal reasons.

    We would rather not do shipping/mail order for now (etsy, ebay, etc), but I'm wondering if we should consider it seeing as there has been zero local response to our ads.

    This is all strange as I did do some calling around 2 months ago before we bought the machine and all the other long arm services were backed up through December. So, I'm stumped.

    #2
    Re: Hey ya'll from Mississippi

    I have no ideas to help you.....I hand quilt. But I wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum from Michigan!

    πŸ’« Star lover

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Hey ya'll from Mississippi

      Welcome from Wisconsin! Oh how disappointing for you, I can't imagine why you haven't gotten any responses. I am a hand quilter too so don't have any answers, just wanted to welcome you to the group.

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Hey ya'll from Mississippi

        Welcome to the group from Sunny Florida.

        Maybe you could attend some quilting guilds in your area and share your new business with them. Make sure to set up at quilt shows in your area, too.
        Katrina


        β€œNothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
        ― Maya Angelou

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Hey ya'll from Mississippi

          I read your profile and had to laugh. If you don't pay attention it looks like you are wife hunting, although I see you are married. Don't worry about it, it's just my quirky mind.
          So have you put up posters at the senior center, library, fabric shop, grocery store (if you are in a small town like I am)? Also tap in to the gossip grapevine. Every town has one! Let the biggest gossip in town know what you are doing. Put an ad in the paper relating to Christmas presents.
          I wish you were close because I can't find a decent long armer. I had one but he died.
          Good luck and please keep posting.
          sigpic

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Hey ya'll from Mississippi

            Originally posted by LauraP View Post
            I read your profile and had to laugh. If you don't pay attention it looks like you are wife hunting, although I see you are married. Don't worry about it, it's just my quirky mind.
            So have you put up posters at the senior center, library, fabric shop, grocery store (if you are in a small town like I am)? Also tap in to the gossip grapevine. Every town has one! Let the biggest gossip in town know what you are doing. Put an ad in the paper relating to Christmas presents.
            I wish you were close because I can't find a decent long armer. I had one but he died.
            Good luck and please keep posting.
            Hmmm, that is not what I expected as I was trying to be clear that I am not currently available! LOL, guess I failed on that attempt.
            Wish you were closer as well, (for the quilt I mean)!!!
            Well, there might be the shipping option in the near future.

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Hey ya'll from Mississippi

              Just a warning, this is not the place for you to come and try to drum up business, as it would be in competition with M*, who provides this forum for us.

              That said, go to your local quilt shops. The places here have a list of people that do longarm quilting on file, because not all of them offer that service in store. It seems those on the list are always busy with local orders. Also, if there are any quilt guilds in your area, it would be a good idea to contact them. I think most people would like doing drop off business with a quilter, rather than mail in, as it is always a worry when a top you worked hard on is in the hands of the postal service.
              K is for Karen πŸ˜Šβ€‹..................
              Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.


              Before you speak,
              T - is it TRUE?
              H - is it HELPFUL?
              I - is it INSPIRING?
              N - is it NECESSARY?
              K - is it KIND?

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Hey ya'll from Mississippi

                Hmmm, that is not what I expected as I was trying to be clear that I am not currently available! LOL, guess I failed on that attempt.


                You should just be glad that you didn't put shooting ahead of hunting or your wife would need to worry Like I said, I have a weird brain.
                sigpic

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Hey ya'll from Mississippi

                  Also, be sure to always carry business cards with you. In addition to local quilt shops, my local monogram shop told me she often has people come in looking for a longarmer. She offered to keep my cards on file. Once people know you have a longarm, many will ask if you quilt for others. I have had folks ask for my card while standing in line at Joanns. If you make t shirt quilts, that's a good way to get started. It takes some networking.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Hey ya'll from Mississippi

                    Normally you can't just hang out a shingle and expect them to line up at your door. Join a local guild and become a part of the quilt community. Volunteer maybe and do a little quilting for free. Do some work the "Comfort Quilts" (or whatever they have) committee. The word will get out as soon as they figure out you're for real. Our "volunteer quilters" became busy with paying orders in no time. We are always looking for replacements. Us quilters are a skeptical bunch, which goes along with the years. But, once they get to know you, you'll be alright.

                    Oh, and welcome to the forum. This is just one good place to do a little schmoozin'. Someone here is local to you, or someone knows someone who is. It's a tighter knit group than one might think. Who knows when your name will get dropped. Good luck.

                    Which reminds me. What part of MS you from. My daughter-in-laws mother lives in French Camp. And, she's a quilter.
                    Last edited by oldmanquilts; November 2, 2018, 10:16 PM. Reason: added thoughts-
                    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Hey ya'll from Mississippi

                      Originally posted by KarenC View Post
                      Also, be sure to always carry business cards with you. In addition to local quilt shops, my local monogram shop told me she often has people come in looking for a longarmer. She offered to keep my cards on file. Once people know you have a longarm, many will ask if you quilt for others. I have had folks ask for my card while standing in line at Joanns. If you make t shirt quilts, that's a good way to get started. It takes some networking.
                      Thanks for the ideas Karen. (Yes, we have talked about many of the things you and others mentioned, but our travel abilities have been limited, so we tried classifieds first.)

                      I never realized that M* was in the long arm service mail/shipping business. I thought M* mainly or only sold notions and fabric.

                      I went and looked through the site a bit more diligently and found the "quilting" thing and clicked through. It wasn't clear if they charged or not for the batting, or thread, but from what I ran through for a simplish swirl pattern, it seems as though it came out to .03 per square inch.
                      Also in that section it showed they are expecting 10 to 14 weeks delay time right now as it's the peak time of the year (so it seems).
                      Anyway, the main reason I posted on here was to express the Shock I have at not one phone call or email with moderate to heavy newspaper advertising, plus craigslist. It's like the whole world has stopped reading classifieds except for me....?

                      I guess I will have to make a plan B and C, then a D...then if still no customers, the gammill goes up for sale in the spring.

                      I should not be considered a threat as I made it clear that
                      1. I am new to long arming.
                      2. I have no plans to do mail order or shipping at this time.
                      3. The max I could do is 2 simple quilts a day.
                      4. All established long arm businesses are months behind.
                      And....In your first 3 words to me was the word "Warning". Isn't that a bit harsh right out of the gate?

                      I thought a forum was a place to discuss many avenues and topics.
                      Also, we are potential fabric / supplies customers. Just something to consider before pouncing.
                      Last edited by Boondockslongarm; November 3, 2018, 07:34 AM.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Hey ya'll from Mississippi

                        Originally posted by oldmanquilts View Post
                        Normally you can't just hang out a shingle and expect them to line up at your door. Join a local guild and become a part of the quilt community. Volunteer maybe and do a little quilting for free. Do some work the "Comfort Quilts" (or whatever they have) committee. The word will get out as soon as they figure out you're for real. Our "volunteer quilters" became busy with paying orders in no time. We are always looking for replacements. Us quilters are a skeptical bunch, which goes along with the years. But, once they get to know you, you'll be alright.

                        Oh, and welcome to the forum. This is just one good place to do a little schmoozin'. Someone here is local to you, or someone knows someone who is. It's a tighter knit group than one might think. Who knows when your name will get dropped. Good luck.

                        Which reminds me. What part of MS you from. My daughter-in-laws mother lives in French Camp. And, she's a quilter.
                        French Camp is quite a ways north of us. We live near Raleigh MS. About 30 minutes south of Forest MS which is on I 20.

                        I didn't expect a mob with the ads, but I also did not expect zero response. Thanks for the welcome.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Hey ya'll from Mississippi

                          You went after the wrong Karen in your response above.

                          My warning was not a pounce on you. It was just an informational statement that there is no advertising for your business allowed on the forum.
                          K is for Karen πŸ˜Šβ€‹..................
                          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.


                          Before you speak,
                          T - is it TRUE?
                          H - is it HELPFUL?
                          I - is it INSPIRING?
                          N - is it NECESSARY?
                          K - is it KIND?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Hey ya'll from Mississippi

                            [QUOTE=K. McEuen;1043574]You went after the wrong Karen in your response above.

                            My warning was not a pounce on you. It was just an informational statement that there is no advertising for your business allowed on the forum.[/QUOT

                            Is your name not Karen? If it is Karen, then yes, I did address the correct person.

                            I do stand my ground when I feel I have been wronged, or misinterpreted.
                            Have a blessed day, Karen.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Hey ya'll from Mississippi

                              This is an update, several months later from my last post on Nov 3rd 2018.
                              A LOT has happened since then.
                              First, my Mom was sick then with what we thought was a bad cold or a flu bug. We were wrong. On December 18th of 2018 she went into the ER, was in the hospital for a week and was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. That was our Christmas gift.

                              It was a long hard winter, spring, and summer. I and my wife cared for Mom at home. She chose not to go through with the Chemo, or Radiation "treatments". It was a terrible thing to see my Mom slowly fade away through all those months. However she never once cried or got angry. She did ask God "why me?" because she never smoked... But I saw God work through her and gave her courage to get through until the end. A Marine never had that much courage! (We are protestant saved Christians, me, Mom, and my wife.)
                              On July 16th, 2019, Mom went home to be with the Lord.

                              Everything got put on hold. The quilt machine we bought, and continue to pay on has sat mostly silent since December/January. The Last quilt we worked on together was a King size for my youngest son and his wife, which he got as a gift in December.

                              So here we are. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow that my Mom has been gone. It's been so quiet and lonely here. I'm glad she is no longer suffering here. I know she is having a grand reunion even now up there. But I do miss her so much.

                              So no, I never came on here with the intent to "steal" customers. We wanted to do something together as a family and try to get a start somewhere. God had another plan for that time period.

                              Now we still have the machine. Plus all of Mom's sewing machines (Very good machines.) Tons of fabric, accuquilters, thread, computers, software, books, magazines, and her UFO's.
                              I learned the quilting machine a fair amount last fall and winter. Enough to have made a start back then. But for sewing or taking up making quilts like how Mom did. I'm just not there.
                              Now, am sort of lost, because questions I might have in the sewing or quilting area....well, the house is empty now. So much of Mom is everywhere. She LOVED to sew, (I think Mom loved even more just to buy fabric!)
                              (My wife has little to no interest in sewing unless she "has to".)

                              Anyway, I needed to just post something somewhere. I know God hears my prayers, but it's hard for me to really hear him back most of the time.
                              It would be awesome if I could meet someone who would like to team up or something. I hate to give up, but at the moment I'm semi lost.
                              Mom helped us get this machine so it would help us down the road.

                              Mark

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X