Hey ya'll from Mississippi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hey ya'll from Mississippi

I'm so sorry for your loss but I bet your Mom is having a blast in Heaven. Don't you wish you could have watched her first tries at flying? Wonder how many loop-d-loops she did?

I hope you find someone to help you get back into quilting. Have you found a local quilt group? If not you might check with the senior center.
    sigpic

Comment

Mark, my condolences to you and your family. I too lost my mother to lung cancer 5 years ago. She passed away only two months after her diagnosis, so I truly understand your pain.

My mother was also a passionate quilter and it was only after her passing that I really got into it, mainly because I promised her I would finish her UFOs. God knowsw
      that was hard, I cried thru many blocks, and would ask "Mama please help me, I don't know what I'm doing here". And somehow I always felt her next to me, guiding my stitches and knew that she was in heaven, she is also still with me. Since she passed away, I have made more than 50 quilts, bought several more sewing machines ( but mostly use hers) and even a long arm and am so blessed to have received my Mother's legacy of the love of quilting.

Sit quietly, talk to your Mom, she will hear and answer, you need but listen for her voice, not with your ears, but with your heart. She's always with you.

I pray that you too will find comfort and joy in your mother's legacy to you.

Comment

[QUOTE=K. McEuen;1043524]Just a warning, this is not the place for you to come and try to drum up business, as it would be in competition with M*, who provides this forum for us.[/QUOTE

My, oh my, aren't we being hypocritical, you said he wasn't allowed to advertise, that it would be considered being in competition wit MSQ. First of all he wasn't advertising, secondly, what do you think we do....we are always referring to another quilt shop / business to go there and buy fabrics etc., isn't that taking away business from MSQ as well. I don't like some one who says one thing and does another. I'm sure you'll be admonishing me, but have a great day anyway.
        Last edited by ktdid; August 6th, 2019, 06:03 AM.
        When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
        Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
          Mark, my condolences to you and your family. I too lost my mother to lung cancer 5 years ago. She passed away only two months after her diagnosis, so I truly understand your pain.

My mother was also a passionate quilter and it was only after her passing that I really got into it, mainly because I promised her I would finish her UFOs. God knowsw
          that was hard, I cried thru many blocks, and would ask "Mama please help me, I don't know what I'm doing here". And somehow I always felt her next to me, guiding my stitches and knew that she was in heaven, she is also still with me. Since she passed away, I have made more than 50 quilts, bought several more sewing machines ( but mostly use hers) and even a long arm and am so blessed to have received my Mother's legacy of the love of quilting.

Sit quietly, talk to your Mom, she will hear and answer, you need but listen for her voice, not with your ears, but with your heart. She's always with you.

I pray that you too will find comfort and joy in your mother's legacy to you.
          Thank you for the well meaning words. (For my belief and what I have found so far, we are not to pray or talk to the dead, but to Jesus / God, and that I have done, and continue to do.) This could get sticky, so I just want to clarify where I am on it so I am not endorsing un-biblical behavior and not to mislead anyone.
          I'm striving not to make a "shrine" to Mom, but to cherish her memories. I'll leave it at that on talking to the dead, as I don't want to cause strife here.

I guess my main reason I came back and posted yesterday was just to vent, or to hear/read from others and not be quite so physically alone.

Comment

Mark, thank you for the gentle and respectful reminder to me that not all share the same beliefs, and that we should always respect another persons Faith. I hope you will accept my apology if I offended you in any way, I am truly sorry.

I'm glad you came back to the forum to reach out to others. While we aren't "physically" near you, please know that many of us are still here for you.

Comment

Mark, I am so sorry about your Mom's passing. Grief takes many forms, two steps forward, one step back, some days you will be up, some days down. That is normal. Your sewing mojo will come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                Mark, thank you for the gentle and respectful reminder to me that not all share the same beliefs, and that we should always respect another persons Faith. I hope you will accept my apology if I offended you in any way, I am truly sorry.

I'm glad you came back to the forum to reach out to others. While we aren't "physically" near you, please know that many of us are still here for you.
                Hugz, or handshake, either way.
                Thank you Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                  Mark, I am so sorry about your Mom's passing. Grief takes many forms, two steps forward, one step back, some days you will be up, some days down. That is normal. Your sewing mojo will come back.
                  Thank you. Appreciated.

Comment

Mark, I saw the title of your post and hopped onto this thread to say hello and welcome to the forum. After reading all the way through, I'd like to also offer condolences on the passing of your mother. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Regarding your "warning" here on the forum, I hope it will make you feel better to know that K.McEuen has been appointed as a moderator of the forum by the Missouri Star Company. In other words, it's her (unpaid) job to make sure we're all sticking to the M* Forum guidelines. I can only begin to imagine what it felt like to think that just a regular old run of the mill poster had pointed out one of the rules. Karen has had to let me know when I've tiptoed over the line, but I knew that was her job. You didn't have that advantage.

I think you might find that you enjoy attending some local quilt guild meetings. You'll meet women who enjoyed the same things your mother did. If some longarm business grows from that, it will be a win-win! And if your wife attends meetings with you (highly recommended), she may start to see why some of us think sewing is fun.

Again, my heart goes out to you for the loss of your mother.
                    Last edited by GuitarGramma; August 6th, 2019, 09:13 PM.
                    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGramma View Post
                      Mark, I saw the title of your post and hopped onto this thread to say hello and welcome to the forum. After reading all the way through, I'd like to also offer condolences on the passing of your mother. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Regarding your "warning" here on the forum, I hope it will make you feel better to know that K.McEuen has been appointed as a moderator of the forum by the Missouri Star Company. In other words, it's her (unpaid) job to make sure we're all sticking to the M* Forum guidelines. I can only begin to imagine what it felt like to think that just a regular old run of the mill poster had pointed out one of the rules. Karen has had to let me know when I've tiptoed over the line, but I knew that was her job. You didn't have that advantage.

I think you might find that you enjoy attending some local quilt guild meetings. You'll meet women who enjoyed the same things your mother did. If some longarm business grows from that, it will be a win-win! And if your wife attends meetings with you (highly recommended), she may start to see why some of us think sewing is fun.

Again, my heart goes out to you for the loss of your mother.
                      But I did not outright advertise. I feel that she did pounce unjustly. I did notice she was a moderator back then as it tags the persons status by their name. Others have stated here in the forum that there is other "advertising" and suggestions for where (other businesses) to get other services or items that M* sells or offers too! Now tell me again why I was singled out to be scolded with a "warning" for just a bare hint that we were trying to start a business?
                      Way back then I was expressing exasperation at zero response to my local ads. Maybe you and that mod need to go back and relook at what I really wrote, the whole thing!

I'm not currently advertising a darn thing as I don't know what I might do with what is left here to me and my wife. The way the attitudes and moods are going we just may up and sell the whole deal. We don't know which way to go! Maybe I shouldn't say that here because that could be a pre-advertising statement?

Comment

Good for you!!
                        When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
                        Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Hello Mark and welcome back to the forums. I am sorry to hear of your mother's passing. Quilting is very comforting, it allows time for the heart and mind to piece things together while our hands are doing the same. May the empty feeling be consoled with sweet memories, your dreams be filled with visits with your mother, and your time here with out her be filled with loving family and good friends.

Comment

Originally posted by minipinlady View Post
                            Hello Mark and welcome back to the forums. I am sorry to hear of your mother's passing. Quilting is very comforting, it allows time for the heart and mind to piece things together while our hands are doing the same. May the empty feeling be consoled with sweet memories, your dreams be filled with visits with your mother, and your time here with out her be filled with loving family and good friends.
                            Thank you very much. (Had to add "very much" as a simple thank you is too short! Go figure...)

Comment

Originally posted by Boondockslongarm View Post
                              But I did not outright advertise. I feel that she did pounce unjustly. I did notice she was a moderator back then as it tags the persons status by their name. Others have stated here in the forum that there is other "advertising" and suggestions for where (other businesses) to get other services or items that M* sells or offers too! Now tell me again why I was singled out to be scolded with a "warning" for just a bare hint that we were trying to start a business?
                              Way back then I was expressing exasperation at zero response to my local ads. Maybe you and that mod need to go back and relook at what I really wrote, the whole thing!

I'm not currently advertising a darn thing as I don't know what I might do with what is left here to me and my wife. The way the attitudes and moods are going we just may up and sell the whole deal. We don't know which way to go! Maybe I shouldn't say that here because that could be a pre-advertising statement?
                              I am so sorry. I feel like I hurt you again. Please accept my apologies. I feel just awful about making you feel worse.
                              Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGramma View Post
                                I am so sorry. I feel like I hurt you again. Please accept my apologies. I feel just awful about making you feel worse.
                                No, I just think you were still assuming I was in the wrong here, and I'm asserting that I was in the clear and the mod went over the line, in my opinion, and in a few private messages to me, their opinions too.
                                I hold my ground when I feel wronged, and bite back.

I also notice that said mod hasn't come back to try to make things better, to admit to overkill, or to offer any condolences. That has to tell ya something there.

Have a blessed day. I'm gonna try to as well, although off to a terrible start, our coffee maker broke!
                                Last edited by Boondockslongarm; August 9th, 2019, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X