Hello from across the pond :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello from across the pond

Welcome from Wisconsin, a state in the U.S. just south of Canada. You will love the Forum and it sounds like you are not intimidated by a challenge! Good for you. Just pick a simple pattern, no curves, diamonds or triangles at first. Also, remember that it is perfectly acceptable to make a quilt without a border. I do it all the time. Why?? Because I have so much trouble picking out border fabric. I just make an extra row of blocks to make it the size I need.

Comment

Hi and welcome from Europe! I'm an Italian quilter!

My advice would be... watch a ton of tutorial and sew sew sew. Start with small projects and practise on that.
      I made ton of mug rugs and zipper pouches to practise Also I enjoy sewing them.

Recycling fabric can be a great source, also do not be afraid to use regular cotton instead of quilting cotton only.
      As long as it's good quality it's going to work like a charm. I often use it mixed with quilting cotton (but it's cheaper!)

Enjoy!
      My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Florida. And welcome to the wonderful world of quilting.

The footstool poufe you made from a coffee table sounds pretty.

You might find some interesting suggestions here to help save money while making your quilts.

https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sh...ad.php?t=71342

Comment

Thanks for the welcome I have a photo of my foot stool in my photos check it out

Comment

I have been shopping ! Started of my stash in Bath http://www.countrythreadspatchwork.co.uk an Aladdins cave ! It was a little over whelming wehad to go and have coffee and cake then go back to buy - so many decisions so many colours :s
            I started off with green - modelled by Jane
            IMG_9966.jpg
            Last edited by Iolosdad; August 1st, 2017, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Okay, Glad to have you aboard. If you want to cut the cost of quilting look up the you tubes on "Quilt as you go". It is a lot easier to quilt one block at a time and join them. Several people I know use sheets for backing on their quilts. It can be less expensive but I have never done it. One thing to remember about quilting is measuring and when you are cutting fabric it is better to measure with the ruler rather than the mat. The measurement will be truer. Never use serger thread to quilt remember that raw edges, especially cut on the bias will stretch so pin when necessary. And more than anything have fun.
              sigpic my goal is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am

Comment

Working...
              X