Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from Oxford, England!

Hi y'all!
    I'm Michelle, expat wife of a Brit who dragged me, kicking and screaming from the warmth of central Texas, all the way to England.

We have two girls, almost 4 and 8. I used to work as a pedi nurse in Texas. I now work part time for a small charity here. When there's spare time, I enjoy being busy at home. I love to bake and sew things for the girls. I am in the habit of getting excited about a new hobby and then diving in headfirst - meaning lots of learning-as-I-go! I almost always have some cute bunting in progress (because it's England! And we love bunting!!) I have even been lucky enough to sell some!

I first got excited about quilting when one of my patients was a 12 year old girl who lived in a self-contained community (similar to Mennonites, I'd guess). She was a quilter, and at night during her treatments, she would show me how she did it. (I went to their annual exhibition weekend. She sold a king-size double wedding ring, hand quilted, for $1500. Yeah, 12 years old. !!)

When I had my girls, I spent my pregnancy downtime hand-quilting around the pictures on baby panels for each of them. Again, I just jumped in, no classes or instruction. Probably not the easiest way to learn, but I am happy with how they turned out. I am great at burying knots! A few months ago, a friend asked me to do the binding on a pre-quilted baby panel. I found a group of ladies who meet once a month at a cafe nearby, and took the whole thing in to them for advice. I was totally expecting a bunch of little old ladies full of all sorts of experience to share. And that's how I found M* - they ALL pointed my to Jenny's binding tutorial!!

Now I am starting to really get excited about creating something a bit more involved. I have been reading like a crazy person, including these forums. My girls have both asked for JRR throws as their next quilts. And as I posted earlier, another friend has given me a challenge that I am determined to figure out. Since the hand-quilting projects, I have developed arthritis in my thumbs, so I am planning on doing most work on the machine.

Whew - ok, and now y'all know how chatty I am!! Anyway, I am so glad I have found this forum; I have learned so much already just from reading. Hopefully I won't drive anyone nuts with endless questions! Nice to meet you! Michelle

Re: Hi from Oxford, England!

Welcome Michelle from Tennessee

Comment

Now I understand your screen name lol Welcome from Kauai!
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Welcome from Missouri!
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Welcome from West Yorkshire. You live in a lovely part of the country, have you done the history stuff yet?

Comment

Hello and Welcome from California

Jeannette

Comment

Hi Michelle and welcome to the forum from Idaho!
              Rescued is my favorite breed.

Comment

hello and welcome to the forum

Comment

Hi Michelle! Welcome from Minnesota. I have another quilty friend in the UK. She says cotton prices are awful there.

Comment

Originally posted by MNnancy View Post
                    Hi Michelle! Welcome from Minnesota. I have another quilty friend in the UK. She says cotton prices are awful there.
                    Your friend is right - they're terrible and getting worse.

Comment

Hello and welcome from a West Virginia transplant!
                      sigpic

Comment

Dear Michelle you sound a lot like me When I find something I'm passionate I devote myself to it!
                        Welcome to this lovely forum! Looking forward to read your posts
                        My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

Comment

Hello and welcome from New Jersey!
                          I am Sew Blessed!
                          Alina

Comment

Working...
                          X