Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newby from Texas with a Serious Problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newby from Texas with a Serious Problem...

Hello Everyone!

I am new to quilting, but am eager to learn. I've completed a couple of small lap quilts and one king size quilt that I pieced but did not quilt. I am presently working on a couple of UFOs that I promised myself to finish this year.

I also have a problem that someone might be able to help me with. After being inspired by all the wonderful tutorials on the site, I purchased 2 layer cakes as well as additional yardage to complete a quilt. When the fabric came in I was so excited that I put the fabric away until I finished the quilt I was working on. Well... now... I have NO IDEA what quilt I had in mind when I purchased my fabric!!! Now... don't laugh. I've gone through the tutorials and still... WHAT ON EARTH WAS I THINKING when I purchased TWO layer cakes of the same fabric to create my quilt? Does anyone have any idea which of Jenny's beautiful designs can be made with 2 layer cakes of the same material along with additional yardage (I'm sure for the borders)

You may stop laughing now....

Re: Newby from Texas with a Serious Problem...

This happens fairly often. I don't have a solution for the fabric you have on hand. I'm sure you can come up with something wonderful to make, even if it's not your original plan.

I prepare a large zip bag when I place a large fabric order and in that bag I save the printed PDF from the tutorial (if one is available) or the magazine/pattern/picture of the future quilt. When the new fabric arrives I pop it in the bag and save everything together.

I have to do things like this because I have so much going on at the same time. I also keep a notepad where I keep, Notes From Me To Me.
    Last edited by Bubby; January 2, 2017, 09:57 AM.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

No one's laughing, except those of us who are thinking, "been there, done that". It's a very common situation that we find ourselves in. Matter of fact, I think I have about three sets of fabric I bought with a particular project in mind, but now, well you know the rest.

The first tutorial I thought of that uses two layer cakes and yardage is the Exploding Block, the yardage being used for the borders. Here's the link to the tutorial:

Jenny Doan demonstrates how to make a fabulous Exploding Block Quilt using Butter Pecan and Jefferson County Layer Cakes by Whistler Studios for Windham Fabr...

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

What layer cakes did you get? If you were getting something similar, like a floral maybe we can figure it out. Or how long ago it was. I have done the same thing and do the same as Bubby now. I learned to late though. lol

Welcome to the forum!
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Welcome to the forum and I am in the same situation. Going thru my fabric now, cutting down leftovers and lo-and-behold I have 2 layer cakes. I remember LOVING the fabric and perfect use in mind. Now the mind is mush! But someday - somehow my old light bulb will come on. Either that or another tutorial will come along and I can say... Ahh Haaa I have the perfect fabric for that quilt already! If nothing else, quilting has taught me patience...

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
            This happens fairly often. I don't have a solution for the fabric you have on hand. I'm sure you can come up with something wonderful to make, even if it's not your original plan.

I prepare a large zip bag when I place a large fabric order and in that bag I save the printed PDF from the tutorial (if one is available) or the magazine/pattern/picture of the future quilt. When the new fabric arrives I pop it in the bag and save everything together.

I have to do things like this because I have so much going on at the same time. I also keep a notepad where I keep, Notes From Me To Me.

Thanks so much for your reply. Now I know to write everything down. I keep refusing to do that because "I will remember." In reality, I don't remember things from day to day and certainly not if I've slept! I will definitely take your advice. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post

Hi Bubby! Thanks for replying and your suggestion. New Year's Resolution: write everything down and don't even try to put it into your memory.

Comment

Hi Caroline,
                Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at that Youtube video this morning, but it's not the one. I'm thinking that perhaps I bought the extra layer cake because I knew I would want to make the quilt larger. I think I just outsmarted myself. One thing for sure is that the design is in one of Jenny's magazine/books either volume one or two.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. The layer cakes are Miss Kate by Bonnie and Camille for Moda. I purchased it about a year or so ago.

Joan

Comment

OMG! I am not laughing, I have the same problem. I see beautiful fabrics, precuts etc. and think of a quilt design I have just seen. when the fabric arrives, I am usually doing something else and forget to label it. Just keep searching the tutorials, or BLOCK magazine. You may find that pattern yet. Good Luck,and welcome aboard.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I saw it in Block. I'm going to go look again right now. I'll let you know.

Comment

Be there, done that. If I remember correctly, at one time when you ordered you could say what you intend to make. I used to do that. I just checked some of my old orders and don't see that option. Am I crazy, or did they remove it? I like the idea of using a plastic zip bag and putting the PDF in it. I also requested a The Quilter’s Planner 2016 for a Christmas present. We haven't celebrated with our kids yet as they spent the holiday with the other family. If I don't get it, I will order it myself. It is a planner that will inspire you to achieve your goals, and organize both your personal life and your quilting life according to the website. It is listed below.
                        At The Quilter’s Planner, our products are designed with you in mind. Let us help you with our collection of beautiful organizational tools!

Comment

Welcome from Arizona
                          bjsmith57

Comment

Thanks so much! I'll have to go to the site and check it out.

Comment

Thanks so much. I appreciate the warm welcomes.

Comment

Working...
                              X