New member and new to quilting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member and new to quilting

Hi, I am a new member and new to quilting. Any good reading materials, videos, or websites that you would recommend to help a guy get started quilting?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Re: New member and new to quilting

Hi Dave and welcome. People here are a little bit biased of course, we love Jenny's tutorials. You can find their channel on YouTube and subscribe. You will learn a lot watching her. Also Leah Day has a lot of good videos and instruction on free motion quilting. There are so many blogs with tutorials out there, I just recommend deciding what style of quilting appeals to you and look for those to follow. As for books, well, you can go broke. Again, find a style you want to go with and check out amazon's quilting books. Hope this helps.

Comment

I'll suggest cruising Pinterest. But, beware because you can get stuck there for awhile!

here is my board.
      https://www.pinterest.com/loriearii/quilting/

I'd hate to show what's in my computer files. I'm a picture hoarder. lol
      Last edited by Hulamoon; December 20, 2016, 08:42 PM.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Welcome from California! Yes, I too, am basically all Jenny Doan (this is her site) Love her tutorials,and the BLOCK magazine, which you can also subscribe to on this site. Be sure to post pictures of your finished quilts, we love to see them.
        :icon_hiya: Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Comment

Welcome, Dave, from Colorado. It's always nice to have another man on board. I've learned so much from Jenny's tutorials. YouTube is loaded with all kinds of quilting tutorials (not just Jenny's). Back in 2010, I didn't yet have a laptop. I took a beginner's class at my local quilt store. Once I discovered Missouri Star, I was hooked. Feel free to ask questions here & post pics of your projects.

Comment

Welcome! Along with Jenny's tutorials, I would also suggest Eleanor Burns (Quilt in a Day) and Bonnie Hunter (quiltville.blogspot.com). Each has their own unique style. You tube has thousands of tutorials - just search quilting and you will be amazed - so many different instructors and methods.

Good luck, and remember we are always here to enable, er, uh, help you!
            Donna

Comment

Thanks all!

Comment

Dave,

Welcome to the Forums from Mid-Missouri. I'm partial to Jenny's tutorials but there are many out there that will give you info. The Forum is a wonderful place to ask questions and get pretty fast and great suggestions.

I hope you enjoy the Forums as much as I have, and jump in and ask questions or share your experiences. We love to see pics.

Comment

Welcome from Florida. I won't add to the advice already given, but you'll learn a lot just from the quilters on this forum. Just keep asking questions.
                  Ann

Comment

I am new here as well. I admit to 'stalking' for the last few years I have learned a lot with Jenny's tutorials and YouTube. I also use Pinterest. My problem is that I want to make everything I see! So much to do, so little time...... Welcome! We can be newbies together.

Comment

Working...
                    X