Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to keep fabric dust free

Hi!
    I'm new to the forum. I was wondering how everyone keeps dust off their fabric.

Re: How to keep fabric dust free

Welcome to the forum from Missouri!

I keep my fabric in cabinets with doors that shut out the light and dust. Some quilters use plastic totes. You will find that your 'system' evolves as your fabric stash grows.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Mine all lives in plastic totes

Comment

Hi from Canada
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Welcome to the forum - the best way (not the way I do it) is to sew faster!!!!!!!!
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

My fabrics are in plastic drawers or containers. You can view them in my Sewing Room album. They're organized by colors, patterns, & projects. I put poster board labels in the fronts of the drawers/containers to minimize light exposure & fading.

Comment

I'm with Sandy. Sew faster and don't such an over whelming stash if there ever is such a thing.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum... my precuts are in different size containers, larger (yardage) is folded an in open tray storage cabinet out of the sunlight.

Comment

Hello and Welcome!!

Jeannette

Comment

Welcome from AZ. My fabrics are in plastic containers with flip lock lids, plastic totes, and a wardrobe cabinet.
                    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Plastic containers here. Some are organized by colors, others by type of fabric, precuts, planned projects, and UFOs (unfinished objects - aka uncompleted projects).
                      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I wish I had cabinets with doors, but alas, no. I can't seem to organize so I just sew. I keep left over strips in one box, orphan squares in a box, 1 to 4 inch pieces in a box, fat quarters in a stack in a tote, backings on a shelf...oh my. I always go to the scrap boxes first to try to use them up because they are the messy storage problems. But they just multiply overnight
                        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                        Terry

Comment

Mine also are in plastic containers on comic boards by color/ theme. I have one container or bagged UFO's. Projects I am working on atm are in in large zippies with all needed for the project. I need to keep them zipped so the kitties don't help themselves to parts of my projects.
                          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                          Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                            Welcome to the forum - the best way (not the way I do it) is to sew faster!!!!!!!!
                            LOL. I was thinking that!

I keep my smaller cuts in plastic totes mostly by color. I have some with specialty fabric like my Asian designs, dog fabrics, car fabrics. My larger cuts I hang in the closet and keep the door shut. Since my sewing room is upstairs at the front of the house, it doesn't seem to get too dusty other than the normal fabric lint.
                            Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight, Rocketeer

Comment

I, too, keep most fabric in stackable clear plastic totes of various sizes.
                              And any fabric that maybe dusty or stringy gets rolled off with a lint roller.
                              I've purchased DD's from M* that had so many dust bunny nests that it took a lot of rolling to get it all off.
                              I also use my lint roller to clean my cutting mat. They come in handy!

s-l300.jpg

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                              The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Working...
                              X