Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm also new here, but not so new age wise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm also new here, but not so new age wise...

I'm currently doing my seventh quilt, but first time using the 2.5 strips. I try to start a new process with each quilt.
    I enjoy sewing, but not the struggle with machine quilting.

My first question is the size of the strips. I found them to be smaller than the quoted 2.5 width. To compensate I've struggled with 1/8 seam allowance throughout this quilt. How could this happen? Anybody else seen this and what do you do?

Thanks for any answer.

Re: I'm also new here, but not so new age wise...

Yea, some precuts are off. It depends on the manufacturer. The typical seam is 1/4'', maybe that's why your struggling.

Welcome to the forum!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Hello and Welcome

Jeannette

Comment

Hi and welcome from Canada.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Yes, unfortunetly some companies' rulers seem to be off a bit. I find it helpful to keep a small tape measure in my purse, so when I see a precut package in the store I can give it a quick measure. Of course this doesn't help with precuts I order on line, so in those cases I measure as soon as they arrive, then decide whether I want to adjust my pattern and/or stitching, or return the precuts for a refund.

Then again, every so often, even after measuring the precuts before buying, there may be one or two pieces in the package that are still not cut quite right and may be off a bit, that I don't find until I'm in the middle of the project.

Comment

Welcome! By your wording it sounds like you are just about done with the piecing...otherwise I would say to try to adapt your pattern to the 2 1/4 inch strips. (By having the whole block smaller, etc.)
            I hope your 1/8" seams hold. Good luck, and hopefully the next experience you have with 2.5" strips will be better. BTW, I read somewhere that when the edges are pinked, the measurement is from (to) the middle of the peak/valley of the pinking. So that automatically creates an issue with 1/4" seams.

Comment

Wanted to shout out a big Welcome and happy sewing to you. Glad you joined our group and know you'll love it here.welcome2rgroup.jpg
              Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
              :icon_wave:

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

It kind of depends on the pattern you are using, but for me I wouldn't worry about the smaller strips. Sew at your normal 1/4" and don't worry about your block coming out smaller than what your pattern says. If ALL your blocks are made with the same small strips with the same 1/4" seam, then the blocks will fit together. So it's a bit smaller, but you have a strong 1/4" that won't separate and fray when washed and used.
                Last edited by snippet; December 7, 2016, 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling boo boo's

Comment

Thanks to all the lovely people who welcomed me. I guess there's hope with this size strip per all your comments. I was ready to drop the size altogether thinking it's an across the board issue.
                  Yes, I'm aware of the 1/4 seam. However, I'm doing 16, 8 in blocks across for a total of 256 blocks. The less than 2.5 size of the strip caused big time differences in the finished size I was shooting for. This is a gift for my sister, who has a king size bed. The 1/8 seam created bigger than I needed, so I ended up trimming all to get to where I needed to be. Don't ask me how it went with the matching seams from row to row...
                  Thanks to all.

Comment

Working...
                  X