Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie & Quick Question

Hi All!

I'm a newbie to quilting, just pieced my first very simple patchwork quilt (baby sized) but have yet to actually quilt it.

I've been interested in quilting for a while and when piecing found it so much more enjoyable than garment or other sewing...I think I actually experienced my first crafting high! I think my mind loves straight lines, exact seam allowances, and crisp corner meetings! I'm looking forward to slowly learning more.

I currently work at a big box fabric store which is....interesting....but also has been what really inspired me to give this a go.

As a quick question: If i am working on making quilted, but not pieced, stockings for Christmas, do I need to quilt the fabric before or after i cut it into the stocking shapes? Like I said....I'm a total newbie!

TG

Re: Newbie & Quick Question

Cut fabric larger than you need to eventually cut out the stocking. Then quilt the fabric. Then cut out the stocking shapes and sew them together right sides together. You can line this stocking, if you want, but at this point the stocking will be two layers of fabric and a layer of batting. The lining will just give the stocking a nice interior finish. I hope this makes sense.

Comment

Yes, SuzieQ is right that's the way to do it. Welcome to the Forum from Wisconsin! Working in a fabric store must give you lots of ideas!

Comment

I wanted to say Hello and welcome to the forum from Massachusetts.
        :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Welcome!
          I would quilt it first too. If you want a nicely finished seam without an additional lining, you could also cover the interior seam with bias tape.
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Thank you all so much! Those are all good ideas. I'll be working on those soon.
            Yes, working at a fabric store gives me lots of access and ideas. Granted it's just Jo Ann's, so it's not quite as inspiring as the real quilting stores I've been to, but I can usually get pretty good deals on things so that helps me feel more like experimenting.

Comment

Working...
            X