Quilt lover of Pittsburgh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt lover of Pittsburgh

Hello, Everyone! I have been reading just about everything in this forum for a long, long time and finally decided to start participating. I love how everyone here is so helpful, quick to reply, and having so much fun!
    I've been sewing since I was a little kid and fell in love with quilting about 10 years ago. I retired from my job in 2011 and gifted myself with a 30" Gammill with Statler Stitcher for that occasion. My newest machine is a Babylock Destiny.
    I am a widow, have 2 amazing daughters and 3 adorable granddaughters, ages 8, 3, and 1.
    I do most of my fabric shopping online, mostly at one particular store in the Lancaster, PA area. I've never been to a retreat but would love to go, if it's not too, too far away. My dream is to someday sponsor a quilt retreat in the Lancaster area.
    I'm hoping to make lots of new friends here!
    - Carol

Re: Quilt lover of Pittsburgh

Welcome Carol from a form Pittsburgher! I was born and raised in Pittsburgh before moving south eighteen years ago.

It's great to have you here!
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Hello Carol, glad you decided to become active on our Forum, it is so great in many ways. I know you will have lots to add so welcome to the party from Wisconsin!

Comment

Hi Carol, We are almost neighbors. I live just 40 miles east of Pgh. We have probably gone to the same quilt shops in the area. Welcome to the forum. You will not meet a better place to make friends and have a ton of advice at any given time. Don't be afraid to jump in on the swaps we have a great time.

Comment

Hi Carol!

I went to Geneva College in Beaver Falls and lived in the western PA area for a while after college. I just love it there!
          Welcome to the forum and can't wait to see some of your work.

Comment

Welcome Carol from NJ! I'm just curious if the shop you like in Lancaster area is Burkholders? It's my absolute favorite! I would love to do a retreat if you decide in the future!
            I am Sew Blessed!
            Alina

Comment

Thank you, Suzette! What part of Pgh did you live in? I'm in the South Hills, in Whitehall, but I grew up in Brookline and lived in Kennedy Twp for a few years in the late 70s.

Comment

Thank you, jjkaiser! It's great to be here!

Comment

Hi, Scooter. I don't get out to the Latrobe area much but I do know where it is. My older daughter and her family recently moved to Plum and my younger daughter and her family live in Harrison City. That's about as far as I get from the South Hills (Whitehall) lately. I'm interested in finding some new quilt shops. Where do you recommend?

Comment

Thanks, canspach! I'll post some of my quilts a little later. The photos are all saved on a different laptop than this one.

Comment

Hi, Alina! Thanks for the welcome. When my kids were young we used to vacation in Cape May every year. My younger daughter and her boyfriend went there for a week last year. Melanie said it hasn't changed much and she loved it.
                      My favorite shop is Old Country Store in Intercourse. The last time I shopped there in person was a couple years ago when a friend was visiting from TX. We drove out to Intercourse and spent a couple days there and one day in Hershey (to chocolate shop, of course!). I bought 3 shopping bags full of fabric at Old Country Store. I get most of my yardage from their online store now. Maybe we can meet up in Lancaster sometime and you can introduce me to Burkholders!

Comment

Carol, I really like the Old Country Store too. During the Lancaster AQS Quilt show in March, they are open late for quilt week (until Midnight that Friday!). I spent a few hours in there easily. If you really like the Old Country Store, you will Love Burkholders! When I go in the future (several times a year easily), I'll touch base with you. I grew up just a few miles from Cape May. Awesome town to visit!
                        I am Sew Blessed!
                        Alina

Comment

Hi from another Pittsburgh Carol...I have lived in Plum Borough for 50 years...my husband and I grew up in Penn Hills about 5 minutes from where we are now...I am glad you have decided to participate in the forum...everyone is so nice and helpful!...
                          Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

Well hello neighbor~ I am in Bridgeville so not that far either!! I shop at Gloria Horns in Castle Shannon..she is awesome and also a Jenny lover!! We need to meet up sometime! I am heading to MSQC this week for the forum retreat..first time but have also been on here forever it seems! Dont be shy!

Comment

Hello Carol and welcome to the forum from Massachusetts.Have you started your granddaughters sewing yet?
                              :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Working...
                              X