Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member from the Olympic Peninsula

Greetings from Western Washington,

I'm new to this forum, but not new to quilting. I've been quilting for over 40 years. My grandmother taught me the basics of quilting back then on her old treadle sewing machine. At that time, there were no rotary cutters and rulers or pre-cuts. You made templates and marked the pieces on the fabric with a pencil and then cut them out before sewing them together.

I wish we would have had Jenny's tutorials back then. It might have made things a little easier, Certainly, the pre-cuts would have made things easier. I can now make a quilt in a matter of days, if not hours, from what it used to take me to make a quilt in months or years.

The way we quilt may have changed over the last 40 years, but the reasons behind making a quilt are still much the same, ie. to keep our families warm, to show our caring to the recipients of our quilts, to mark a memorable event (i.e. weddings, graduations, new babies), and to keep our hands and minds busy.

Lori D

Re: New Member from the Olympic Peninsula

Welcome from Tacoma!!! Hope you enjoy your time here!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum from Massachusetts.I started quilting in a class about 5 years ago,in that class we weren't allowed to use machines and had to use templates that we drew as well.My first three quilts were completly done by hand.
      :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum from Tennessee. I remember my great-grandmother making her own templates and hand stitching every single piece and then quilting by hand. I couldn't quite hand stitch to her and still can't! When I found Jenny's tutorials I was hooked. I hope to see some of your quilts soon.

Comment

Hi and welcome from Silverdale, WA .
          April

Comment

Welcome from Ohio!

Comment

Welcome from Southeast Missouri. You live in a beautiful part of the country.

Comment

Welcome from Northern California! I hope you come to enjoy this forum as much as I do. There are wonderful people here.
                Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

welcome to the forum from South Florida

Comment

aloha and welcome from Hawaii.

Comment

Working...
                    X