Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Illinois!

Hi All,
    My name is Wendy and I am very new to quilting. It started off as making a couple of blankets and is turning into really making quilts. My hubby gave me a used Janome MC11000 for my birthday and it's all been downhill from there. I cannot seem to stop making things! Sewing, embroidering, doesn't matter, I just keep going! The thing I do struggle with is which stitches to use to machine quilt the things I make - took me a month to decide on a stitch for a table runner. lol I went from a Kenmore 9 stitch machine to the Janome, so I'm sure some of you can understand my problem, and of course, I want things to be just perfect! Any suggestions on where to learn about machine quilting for different styles of quilts? Or maybe even what the appropriate term is, I have no idea on some of the terminology.
    TIA for the warm welcome I know I will receive

Re: Hello from Illinois!

Welcome to the forum from Missouri. My advice would be to watch Jenny's tutorials and the posts here on the forum.

Glad you joined us, Wendy!
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Hello Wendy and welcome to the forum from Tennessee. I know some of our members are quite excellent with their selection of quilting pattern and the execution of it. I am not one of them (LOL)! Someone will come along to give you some advice pretty soon.

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Hey there, Windy. I'm in Central Illinois -Peoria area. Glad to have you here. I use U tube a lot for my quilting "how to". AS to your question, Take your time, the answers will come. It is a process and way to much to learn in a short amount of time.

I always try to utilize the stitches on my machine, too. And often struggle with which stitch to use. Will be watching to glean some advice from the more experienced quilters.
          Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
          :icon_wave:

Comment

Hi, and Welcome from Missouri.

Comment

Hi neighbor, welcome from Wisconsin! I don't have an answer for you, I am afraid my machine quilting would make me the laughing stock of the forum--yes it is that terrible-- but you definitely came to the right place to get some answers!

Comment

Welcome from TN. To learn the stiches on my machine I used a scrap piece, roughly 8 x 11 folded in half length wise, using a contrasting thread stitch across stopping an inch from edge. Then using a ink pen write on this sample stitch # and stitch length and hang above my machine for quick reference.

Comment

Welcome, I'm a newbie here as well. I've only been quilting for 6 years and started off making small quilting projects and progressed upward. I love Jenny's tutorials and wish I had found her when I started.

Comment

Welcome from Idaho! I grew up in Galesburg.
                    Rescued is my favorite breed.

Comment

Hi Wendy! Welcome to the forum from the Chicagoland area! I understand your addiction....I share your addiction. Ain't it great?!

Comment

Hello Wendy Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts.
                        :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Hi there! I'm in Illinois too. I'm in Havana--about 45 miles SW of Peoria. Where are you? I'm sorry I can't help much with your questions since I do all my sewing and quilting on an old Singer 15 that I dearly love. It's fun to see you so excited--welcome to the wonderful world of quilting!
                          sigpicLynne in central Illinois

Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

I'm in Havana--along the Illinois River too. Where are you? Our kids live in the Peoria area so we are up there a lot.
                            sigpicLynne in central Illinois

Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Good Morning Everyone!
                              So many neighbors, how nice We are in north central Illinois, an hour and a half north of Peoria and an hour southwest of Chicago, 3 hours from Wisconsin. One of our nieces attended UW - go Badgers!
                              I have looked at a lot of youtube tuts, I have read a few books, and you know sometimes it seems like it all goes out the window when trying to think what I want to do! lol Nayzie - I started making sandwich squares and doing some of what you are doing, labeling them, and then of course the excitement of the machine took over, I think I got maybe 3 squares done. I should really sit down and do that, it would really help the process in the long run.
                              Thank you all for the warm welcomes!

Comment

Working...
                              X