Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie here with some questions! Minky Baby Quilt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here with some questions! Minky Baby Quilt!

Hello all I am from Delaware with some questions to all of you Great Quilter's out there!!!!
    I have never joined a Forum before but I have read a lot of your Wonderful threads so thought I would give it a try.
    Ok so I sure hope some one can help me with this as I didn't think through before starting these Baby Quilts.
    So here is my situation: First I found some really cute Charm Packs (cotton) and I thought these would really look cute with a Minky Backing! Well, like I said I did not think this through UGH!
    I didn't pre-wash the Charms because as most of you know putting charms in the washer is NOT a good Idea! So, I called a good friend of mine that has quilted for years and she said to put the quilt top together made from the charm packs and then pre-wash it before finishing the quilt with the Minky Backing because Minky doesn't shrink. I have assembled the quilt top but now I am questioning myself????
    So should I pre-wash and iron out the quilt top and then bind and quilt the Minky Backing (with batting) on or should I sew on the Minky then wash it. I am so confused!!!! HELP!!!!
    Shella

Re: Newbie here with some questions! Minky Baby Quilt!

I would not wash an unfinished quilt top. I made a baby rag quilt using flannel charms for one side and minky for the other. Did not pre wash . I have washed it and it looks AOK .
    "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
    Hillary Clinton

Comment

Martha, Thank you for your response. So are you saying to assemble the whole quilt and then wash it? I am just worried about the cotton shrinking and the minky not shrinking???? Would it look ok?
      Shella

Comment

Originally posted by Shella View Post
        Martha, Thank you for your response. So are you saying to assemble the whole quilt and then wash it? I am just worried about the cotton shrinking and the minky not shrinking???? Would it look ok?
        I would wait for a more experienced reply. Mine was a rag quilt so if it did shrink it didnt show. Once i asked the forums advice about mixing washed and unwashed. I had the top made from unwashed layer cake and only had prewashed fabric for the back. i was advised not to wash the unfinished top. It has not come back from the quilter yet so I cant tell you what it will look like after being washed.
        "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
        Hillary Clinton

Comment

I've never worked with minky but as long as you are OK with the crinkly look I would guess it will be fine if the top shrinks & the back doesn't. Batting & fabrics can have different amounts of shrinkage anyway. Like Marta, I would advise against washing the top before quilting. I think it will be a big mess.

Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Not a good idea to wash an unfinished top. You really shouldn't get much shrinkage if you wash in warm/cool and tumble dry.
            If you ever look at the end of a bolt of cotton quilt fabric the washing instructions say warm wash, tumble dry cool. I never prewash, have not had any problems with shrinkage or bleeding(been making quilts for nearly 50 yrs)
            “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Sheila. I would go with Bakermom as she has way more experience than me but I really would be reluctant to wash an unfinished top. I expect it would be one massive ball of threads.
              Grandma Nan

sigpic

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

Comment

Thank you so Much everyone! I agree with "Not" washing a quilt top that's why I needed some more input! Anyones help on how to sew with "Minky" (as this is my first time) would be Great as well! Also, is there a way to "Tag" or Look-up BakerMom? As I said I'm a Newbie!
                Shella

Comment

I have done many minky back quilts.....at least 30.....probably more. make your quilt top with cotton.......do NOT wash.
                  use spray basting, like 505, and spray baste your batting to your minky, then spray baste your cotton top to your batting. make sure you use your hands to flatten everything together nice and flat. I usually add a few pins, especially around the edge. Loosen the pressure on your pressure foot a little, to prevent pulling on the back. quilt with a walking foot and lengthen your stitch to about 2.5, or free motion if that's you preference. Bind it THEN wash. this will also wash out your 505. And it might get nice and crinkley, but that's ok with me

P.S. I'm tape my minky to the floor before spray basting to keep it flat. I tape it so it is taught but NOT pulling. It keeps everything nice and flat. If you use cotton batting the cotton top will almost stick to it and well so it helps

Comment

Originally posted by fatquarters View Post
                    I have done many minky back quilts.....at least 30.....probably more. make your quilt top with cotton.......do NOT wash.
                    use spray basting, like 505, and spray baste your batting to your minky, then spray baste your cotton top to your batting. make sure you use your hands to flatten everything together nice and flat. I usually add a few pins, especially around the edge. Loosen the pressure on your pressure foot a little, to prevent pulling on the back. quilt with a walking foot and lengthen your stitch to about 2.5, or free motion if that's you preference. Bind it THEN wash. this will also wash out your 505. And it might get nice and crinkley, but that's ok with me

P.S. I'm tape my minky to the floor before spray basting to keep it flat. I tape it so it is taught but NOT pulling. It keeps everything nice and flat. If you use cotton batting the cotton top will almost stick to it and well so it helps
                    Thank You FatQuarters for the GREAT Info! Another question for you???? What size of needle do you use? I will also be stitching in the Ditch.
                    Last edited by Shella; February 18, 2015, 08:30 AM.
                    Shella

Comment

Welcome Shella! I'm sure there are so many answers to this that your head is spinning! I've just loved finding out that there is often not a "right" way in quilting, and enjoy finding out what works best for my project.

I don't know if you've wandered over to Quilting Questions yet to ask this, maybe your quilt is well on its way. What I'm liking (so far, and don't take this as expert advice), is to press and steam my precuts as I go along to shrink them a little. Don't get aggressive and iron them out of shape, but just a steady flat press and starch or steam seems to do the trick. I was realizing some of my prewashed yardage was even shrinking a bit after pressing my blocks!

Comment

Shella, I don't always pay attention to my needle, I know, I'm bad. I think probably about a 12, but im sure I have used all sizes and never found my needle an issue. I never do free motion because I am lousy at it, so if you are that might make a difference.
                        I think the spray basting (and hand pressing so nice and flat) and walking foot are key factors in success. I also found I would get a bit of stitches pulling on the minky back if I didn't loosen the pressure foot pressure. On my Bernina the default is 50, and I loosen it to about 20, but Ive have been told somewhere to loosen it down to 0. Not sure that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by fatquarters View Post
                          Shella, I don't always pay attention to my needle, I know, I'm bad. I think probably about a 12, but im sure I have used all sizes and never found my needle an issue. I never do free motion because I am lousy at it, so if you are that might make a difference.
                          I think the spray basting (and hand pressing so nice and flat) and walking foot are key factors in success. I also found I would get a bit of stitches pulling on the minky back if I didn't loosen the pressure foot pressure. On my Bernina the default is 50, and I loosen it to about 20, but Ive have been told somewhere to loosen it down to 0. Not sure that helps.
                          Great Great information! I am going to do a test Sandwich today the way you have suggested before I hit the quilt to make sure I set the tension just right! I will let you know how it turns out I have a Viking so I'm sure is a little different then your machine on the settings. A Big Thanks for your help! I might be asking you more questions if I run into any problems I hope you don't mind lol!
                          Shella

Comment

I have ironed and steamed them well. Thank you for that tid bit of information as I thought the same thing but wasn't sure if that would shrink them a bit. So I guess I did a good thing I have made many quilts just not Minky ones and I was just a little scared but after looking at all of these wonderful idea's I think I am going to go for it I will let you know how it goes and if there is a way to post some pics???? I will do so after they are finished
                            Shella

Comment

Originally posted by stitchwishes View Post
                              Welcome Shella! I'm sure there are so many answers to this that your head is spinning! I've just loved finding out that there is often not a "right" way in quilting, and enjoy finding out what works best for my project.

I don't know if you've wandered over to Quilting Questions yet to ask this, maybe your quilt is well on its way. What I'm liking (so far, and don't take this as expert advice), is to press and steam my precuts as I go along to shrink them a little. Don't get aggressive and iron them out of shape, but just a steady flat press and starch or steam seems to do the trick. I was realizing some of my prewashed yardage was even shrinking a bit after pressing my blocks!
                              I have ironed and steamed them well. Thank you for that tid bit of information as I thought the same thing but wasn't sure if that would shrink them a bit. So I guess I did a good thing I have made many quilts just not Minky ones and I was just a little scared but after looking at all of these wonderful idea's I think I am going to go for it I will let you know how it goes and if there is a way to post some pics???? I will do so after they are finished
                              Shella

Comment

Working...
                              X